Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Your daughter is in college? Did the wife just want to be with her, does the daughter need assistance with flying, or is there something else? Wondering why the wife is flying out to bring her back.
coming back from a summer internship and has loads of stuff.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I hate flying through that airport with the intensity of a thousand suns.
The whole experience of flying is awful anymore. Between check in and baggage fees to long lines at security and idiots that don't understand taking off their shoes, belts and emptying their pockets. All to get jammed onto a plane like cattle to the slaughter.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Just be glad no one here is Brian Shaw, or the unfortunate soul that gets the seat next to Brian Shaw.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I hate everything associated with flying. I'm not quite as big as Mr Shaw in the previous video, but the size of planes, the lack of overhead storage, and the delays are getting ridiculous.

It took me 12 hours to fly home a few weeks ago, which is exactly as long as it'd have taken me to drive.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I hate everything associated with flying. I'm not quite as big as Mr Shaw in the previous video, but the size of planes, the lack of overhead storage, and the delays are getting ridiculous.

It took me 12 hours to fly home a few weeks ago, which is exactly as long as it'd have taken me to drive.
I prefer to drive from Omaha to Blacksburg Va when I head out there. It's a day and a half drive as opposed to one day of misery in airports.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm flying out to LA in a couple weeks to drive my stepdaughters car back to Iowa (she's moving from LA to London a few months). I'm looking forward to my cross country drive.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm flying out to LA in a couple weeks to drive my stepdaughters car back to Iowa (she's moving from LA to London a few months). I'm looking forward to my cross country drive.
I would like to see more of the National Parks in Utah. If you've never seen The Grand Canyon now's your chance.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I would like to see more of the National Parks in Utah. If you've never seen The Grand Canyon now's your chance.

I won't really have a lot of time for site seeing (I have been to Arches before) as I need to get back for a race. It's going to be like a Cannonball Run trip lol.

But before leaving LA I am going to drive through the Scientology Gold Base because I have been watching a lot of documentaries on those weirdos and want to see it first hand.

Plan is:
Thursday - LA to Denverish (or a ski town) with a stop in Vegas to eat (buffet).
Friday - Denverish to Home

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Taking the radar detector along so you can make time through the great plains?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The Google informs me that LA to Denver is about 1,000 miles. Denver to Des Moines is 670 miles.

Day 1 is gonna be a long one...
I drove from Blacksburg to Omaha in one shot which is about 1,070 miles. 18.5 hours.
I got past St Louis and thought about stopping and when I had dinner realized the Chiefs had a home game the next day. I didn't want to get caught up with all that traffic so I figured I needed to get past the stadium. Once I did that it was only about 3 hours to Omaha so I figured just do it. Rolled into town in time to catch last call :D:D

Reactions: CtownCyclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That's pretty ambitious.

LA to Denver is 15 hours - so yeah that's a little ambitious. Maybe I will revise for LA to Grand Junction, CO which is 11.5 hours so that leaves me a couple hours in Vegas.

Grand Junction, CO to Newton, IA is 13.5 hours so that isn't bad.

I actually will probably actually stay outside of LA when I get there on Weds night so I don't have to deal with LA traffic when trying to leave Thursday morning, so that will help with the timing.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Just take an Uber.
There was a lady that took an Uber from Omaha to Denver. During peak pricing as well. I think it ended up about $700 which I suppose was cheaper than walking up to the counter and purchasing a plane ticket for the next available flight.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

CyVoodoo

Dec 7, 2009
There was a lady that took an Uber from Omaha to Denver. During peak pricing as well. I think it ended up about $700 which I suppose was cheaper than walking up to the counter and purchasing a plane ticket for the next available flight.

Why wouldn't you just rent a car?