How Long Typically Gas Grill Last?

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
If you want to grill, pellet smokers aren't what you want. If you only want to do the long low slow smoking cooks, pellet smokers are good for that. They do make good barbeque, and are stupid easy to use. Need a power supply though.

My main point of this long post is that if you are looking to grill, do not buy a pellet smoker. If all you want to use it for is low slow cooks go for it. If you want to do both get a BGE or Kamado Joe. Or buy a second grill.

Completely disagree with these statements. I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker, which can get up to 500F. It also has adjustable shelves below the grates that are designed to allow for more upward heat. I have "grilled" steaks, burgers, pork chops, etc. on them many times. The only issue that you can get is that you have to vacuum out the ash every couple uses, especially if you are going to high temps.

When my hammer stops working, i'm going to go all in on the screwdriver.

I think this is what you're looking for, Green Mountain makes them:

1145136460-1.jpg

Reactions: cycloner29

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Completely disagree with these statements. I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker, which can get up to 500F. It also has adjustable shelves below the grates that are designed to allow for more upward heat. I have "grilled" steaks, burgers, pork chops, etc. on them many times. The only issue that you can get is that you have to vacuum out the ash every couple uses, especially if you are going to high temps.

I think this is what you're looking for, Green Mountain makes them:

View attachment 65658
500 is not hot enough for grilling. at least not for me

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
There is a big difference in a pellet smoker and a grill. I have a traeger tailgater I bought to take to tailgates for making pork shoulder, brisket, pork belly burnt ends, etc. It doesnt get hot enough to grill on, but it is transportable and makes good food. I am in the RV lots so I can cook over night or start it super early.

I also have a big green egg which does both smoking and grilling. It can even be used as a pizza oven. But is too heavy/fragile to haul to ames every game (why I bought the traeger). So it stays at home. The green egg is better in every way. Especially if you have a temperature controller. It can be tricky to get the hang of temp controll though with out technology helping. The food makes it worth the effort to learn though. It can do high heat for grilling and searing or maintain very low temps for low slow cooks. I'm partial to the BGE but Kamado Joe makes a good product too. BGE also has a lifetime warranty on all ceramic parts for the original owner. So if anything cracks they will replace it. It doesnt cover negligence or say if a tree falls on it on a storm.

If you want to grill, pellet smokers aren't what you want. If you only want to do the long low slow smoking cooks, pellet smokers are good for that. They do make good barbeque, and are stupid easy to use. Need a power supply though.

My main point of this long post is that if you are looking to grill, do not buy a pellet smoker. If all you want to use it for is low slow cooks go for it. If you want to do both get a BGE or Kamado Joe. Or buy a second grill.

Davey Crockett Green Mountain Pellet Grill Temperature Range is 150–500. In 5 degree increments. 500 degrees is damn hot. Grills things great.

Reactions: cycloner29

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I had a Holland grill - awesome for 25 yrs. as mentioned previously, cover and clean. We sold our house last May, and it was time to depart. Not sure about the pellet ( Traeger or Green Mountain) or another gas (Weber or Phoenix)

Last edited:

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
just wonder from your experience- how long a gas grill can last? Mine is already 15 - we have Charbroil Fiesta - thinking of doing the replacement parts but with the fall approaching, the grills are being discounted heavily or will be so in the next couple of weeks.
I am on my second Weber. Last one had 3 new grate replacements and one burner replacement. First one sold for 75.00 at 23 years old. newest one is 5 years old no new parts yet. Make sure you get 3 burners. The 2 burners are junk. High acid and salt rubs, brines and sauces are hard on the grates and burners

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
My Weber gas grill was corroding shockingly fast after five years in Chicago. Living in a dry climate now though I bet it would last 10x longer.

Sauces,rubs or brines? Mine is in humid Iowa covered with the Weber cover. Never have I seen rust except for the grates and burners.??

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sauces,rubs or brines? Mine is in humid Iowa covered with the Weber cover. Never have I seen rust except for the grates and burners.??

Same here just the burners really wore out a lot faster than I expected. I would have been looking into replacing them after five years if I kept it, they showed pretty heavy wear almost immediately. I also replaced the starter when it broke after a month of use even though it's just a convenience, it was under warrantee so why not.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Are you grilling?.........or Burning?
Yeah, searing is great and all for steaks, but IMO most people way over do it with the heat and burn the crap and over char what they are cooking. And for anything that needs cooked all the way through like brats and burgers you need the grill at a lower temp. I cooked with a surface thermometer on my grill and it was really eye opening how getting the right temp and cooking times down can really improve grilled foods.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We are on our 2nd Weber Genius, the first one last about 10 to 12 years, we have used this the current one 3 years. They are great grills, we have the 3 burner unit, that has the side burner, that we have used maybe twice since we bought it.
Great grills but expensive, make sure you buy the new microfiber grill cover, its feels light, but allows the grill to breath.
Love our Weber

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I like to do the reverse sear. I also like my meat rare. So to get a good sear before it's too cooked needs high heat.

500 degrees is extremely hot. With a pellet grill the temperature is consistent and accurate. At 500 degrees wanting a sear and rare then you are looking at maybe one minute on the grill on each side. Don’t know how you can cook it at all before searing if you want it rare and seared. Have you EVER used a Pellet Grill?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
500 degrees is extremely hot. With a pellet grill the temperature is consistent and accurate. At 500 degrees wanting a sear and rare then you are looking at maybe one minute on the grill on each side. Don’t know how you can cook it at all before searing if you want it rare and seared. Have you EVER used a Pellet Grill?

When a reverse sear is done, the meat is cooked to temp before putting on the heat. Whether with a sous vide, or in the oven at a low temp . A leave in thermometer is used to track the temp. When it gets to that temp, it is thrown on the grill to sear the outside for about one minute on each side. Cast iron on the stove can also be used. It results in a steak that is a consistent doneness all the way through the steak. With traditional grilling, the outside tends to get more of that well done gray band before the inside comes to the desired temp which can be good but if you ask me the reverse sear really is a game changer that is a relatively new thing. It's especially great for the thicker 1.5-2 inch steaks.

I have used a traeger for low and slow cooks. I have not used it to grill, because I feel as though that would be like just cooking in an oven and a good sear to the outside of the meat wouldn't be achieved, only grill marks as there is no direct heat being applied. Just would get the flavor from the smoke. When grilling I like the meat to speak for itself. The maillard reaction is where the best flavor comes from anyway.
I have been wanting to try the reverse sear method by using the traeger for the first step in the reverse sear, then finishing on the green egg. See what that is like. Get the traeger smoke flavor and a good sear.

• Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When a reverse sear is done, the meat is cooked to temp before putting on the heat. Whether with a sous vide, or in the oven at a low temp . A leave in thermometer is used to track the temp. When it gets to that temp, it is thrown on the grill to sear the outside for about one minute on each side. Cast iron on the stove can also be used. It results in a steak that is a consistent doneness all the way through the steak. With traditional grilling, the outside tends to get more of that well done gray band before the inside comes to the desired temp which can be good but if you ask me the reverse sear really is a game changer that is a relatively new thing. It's especially great for the thicker 1.5-2 inch steaks.

I have used a traeger for low and slow cooks. I have not used it to grill, because I feel as though that would be like just cooking in an oven and a good sear to the outside of the meat wouldn't be achieved, only grill marks as there is no direct heat being applied. Just would get the flavor from the smoke. When grilling I like the meat to speak for itself. The maillard reaction is where the best flavor comes from anyway.
I have been wanting to try the reverse sear method by using the traeger for the first step in the reverse sear, then finishing on the green egg. See what that is like. Get the traeger smoke flavor and a good sear.

Traeger only goes to 450 degrees. You admit you have not tried it. So you really do not know how your Traeger works on steak and searing. My Green Mountain Grill works great for everything. My Green Mountain Grill does not cook like an oven. Always get a great sear on the steak.

Sounds like Weber Gas Grills are designed for a maximum temp of 500 to 550 degrees with lid closed. And Big Green Egg supposedly does not recommend temps over 600 degrees because of possible cracking of dome from what I have heard.

Sounds like you have a system. Do you let your meat reach room temp before putting on grill? That would be beneficial for your wants.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Weber is the way to go. I’m on the kettle version, charcoal, with a connected side table. I enderstand we are talking gas here, but Weber is a great company and their stuff lasts.

I was on year 15 of my grill when I was cooking in the winter. I didn’t realize the front feet were frozen to the ground. I lifted it by the table and the table snapped in half.

I called them to order a new table. Lady said that shouldn’t have happened. I said it was no biggie, it’s almost 15 years old. She said it still shouldn’t have happened and next day aired me the table for free.

I guess my point is Weber grills are built to last. Now if they would just come out with a pellet grill.