How Long Typically Gas Grill Last?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
just wonder from your experience- how long a gas grill can last? Mine is already 15 - we have Charbroil Fiesta - thinking of doing the replacement parts but with the fall approaching, the grills are being discounted heavily or will be so in the next couple of weeks.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They don't make them like they used to. If you get 5 years out of a cheaper grill you are doing pretty good. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a Weber. They are built to last and replacement parts are pretty affordable.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We have one from Lowe's going on about 10 years now. Replaces grates, burners and tents in 2016. I had to put a piece of angled aluminum on the back to hold the burners on as the lugs to hold them on where just falling apart due to all the heat cycles the went through. Just install our 3rd set of burners and tents this spring and when they were out it will be time for a new grill as there back portion of the grill will be down to nothing by then.

I do a lot more on my pellet smoker now and very little on the gasser. Just did burgers on the smoker last night. Awesome is a understatement. Very tasty and more flavor than off a gas grill.

Reactions: STATE12

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
We have one from Lowe's going on about 10 years now. Replaces grates, burners and tents in 2016. I had to put a piece of angled aluminum on the back to hold the burners on as the lugs to hold them on where just falling apart due to all the heat cycles the went through. Just install our 3rd set of burners and tents this spring and when they were out it will be time for a new grill as there back portion of the grill will be down to nothing by then.

I do a lot more on my pellet smoker now and very little on the gasser. Just did burgers on the smoker last night. Awesome is a understatement. Very tasty and more flavor than off a gas grill.
When my gas grill dies I'm going all in on the pellet smoker.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think you should be able to keep a moderately priced gas grill for 15 years.

I got 15 years out of my first cheap grill while only replacing the heat plates and grates. The electric starter went out, but I was ok manually starting it for a few years. I would have kept it longer, but I think my wife was getting embarrassed by it. Kinda like a tv, if your wife wants to upgrade, you get in the car immediately before she changes her mind.

I'm going on year 6 on my second one. Neither have been a name brand. I keep my grill covered when not in use and make sure to clean out the inside a couple times a year. I think some people don't cover their grill which leads to a much faster decline.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
We have had the same gas grill since 2006. Lasted through three years in Ames plus a ton of usage the last six years. Original ignition and grill grates. Sorry I don't know the brand or model off my head.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Six years since getting my Weber Spirit. Keeping them clean and covered is key from my experience. Neither my dad nor my FIL put covers on theirs and they usually start rusting within a few years. I need a new cover as mine is ripped and weathered but past that all I have done is replace the flame cover things, the drip pan and clean the grease out (okay my wife got on a roll one day and did that one).

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I had a Char Broil, don't remember the model, for about 10 years. I use my grill year-round, but keep it outside under a cover. I was happy with the 10 years but the entire thing was just falling apart and holes were burning through a lot of it. Two years ago Home Depot had a special on a 6 burner Dyna-Glo. It is pretty cheap and the metal quite thin. Again, I keep it under cover and try to clean it one or twice a year. If I get to year five with this thing I will be really happy.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
My Weber Genesis 2 has no cabinet, so I think it will rust less than an enclosed one. But cats and dogs take a special interest in the drip tray now.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My Weber gas grill was corroding shockingly fast after five years in Chicago. Living in a dry climate now though I bet it would last 10x longer.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If you cover the grill from rain and snow, probably 5 to 10 years. If not you will have to repair all the guts at about 5 years give or take a year.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
Got one that was probably $200 for our wedding back in 2010 and had to replace it this spring. If you can get 8-10 years out of one I think you are doing OK.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
We always keep it covered but I think it’s on the last leg. I am still pretty happy with it.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
When my gas grill dies I'm going all in on the pellet smoker.

There is a big difference in a pellet smoker and a grill. I have a traeger tailgater I bought to take to tailgates for making pork shoulder, brisket, pork belly burnt ends, etc. It doesnt get hot enough to grill on, but it is transportable and makes good food. I am in the RV lots so I can cook over night or start it super early.

I also have a big green egg which does both smoking and grilling. It can even be used as a pizza oven. But is too heavy/fragile to haul to ames every game (why I bought the traeger). So it stays at home. The green egg is better in every way. Especially if you have a temperature controller. It can be tricky to get the hang of temp controll though with out technology helping. The food makes it worth the effort to learn though. It can do high heat for grilling and searing or maintain very low temps for low slow cooks. I'm partial to the BGE but Kamado Joe makes a good product too. BGE also has a lifetime warranty on all ceramic parts for the original owner. So if anything cracks they will replace it. It doesnt cover negligence or say if a tree falls on it on a storm.

If you want to grill, pellet smokers aren't what you want. If you only want to do the long low slow smoking cooks, pellet smokers are good for that. They do make good barbeque, and are stupid easy to use. Need a power supply though.

My main point of this long post is that if you are looking to grill, do not buy a pellet smoker. If all you want to use it for is low slow cooks go for it. If you want to do both get a BGE or Kamado Joe. Or buy a second grill.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brandon

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I think I'm on season 14 or 15 for my Charbroil, which was medium/high end. It has been great.
- replaced the regulator twice
- replaced the remote start once, doesn't work now

Starting to get pretty scummy, but I think I can get a few more years and hopefully upgrade when I move next.

Reactions: cyclone13

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
just wonder from your experience- how long a gas grill can last? Mine is already 15 - we have Charbroil Fiesta - thinking of doing the replacement parts but with the fall approaching, the grills are being discounted heavily or will be so in the next couple of weeks.
I put replacement parts in my cheap charbroil gas grill after everything started to rust out and bought some GrillGrates for it. Made it cook like a premium grill.

August

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2018
Colorado
I put replacement parts in my cheap charbroil gas grill after everything started to rust out and bought some GrillGrates for it. Made it cook like a premium grill.
I have a Weber Summit, 15 years and still going strong. I also put in the GrillGrates. Best upgrade for a gas grill. No flame ups at all.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I used to get 2 or 3 seasons out of the $60 ones from Menards. Then they'd rust out. My Weber is on 8 years now, and doesn't appear to be weakening.

I do cover my grills, which does help a lot.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
On year 7 of a Weber stainless Genesis. Thing cooks and looks like a million bucks.

My dad has always cooked on Webers and I probably will too.

• Creative
Reactions: CloniesForLife

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron