I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was driving north at the I-35 / Highway 30 intersection yesterday, and there was a car stopped on the clover-leaf waiting to merge onto I-35 north. You can't fix stupid people, but hopefully this new flyover will buffer their ****** driving skills.
I've seen people forget to merge into traffic and just stay on the clover leaf as they don't remember to merge left and just get stay in exit lane. I did it once just to see how long it would take to go around all 4 cloverleafs. :D

Reactions: CascadeClone

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
Well you have to have some for people to learn.... Eventually as they become more common, hopefully, things will get better.

I am not going to hold my breath as pointed previously many people still have trouble with on ramps and they have been around forever.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The problem is most Americans don't know how to drive on them.

The other problem is a lot of them are rather poorly designed. Visual obstructions in the middle... small roundabouts where you can't tell until the last second if someone is staying in the roundabout or exiting (leading to people's failures in stopping) etc.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
That makes sense but you should see all the dumbasses try to navigate the roundabouts in Johnston. IT SAYS YIELD NOT STOP!

People are dumb.
I about rear-ended (not really, I had plenty of time to stop) someone on the roundabout in Ames. I was looking ahead and could see there was no traffic in the circle or coming into the circle so I was expecting to enter the roundabout. Nope, the elderly woman in front of me decided the yield sign was a stop sign. She got the horn.

That's another thing we don't use enough. Honk at them if they and make them feel bad for not understanding how to drive.

Acceleration and deceleration ramps need to be called that, not on/off ramps. Their intended purpose is to accelerate or decelerate to the speed of oncoming traffic so you are allowed to safely merge into the flow.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Roundabouts are fantastic. *The people* using them are annoying.
Roundabouts when used appropriately are good. In the US they often aren’t. Certain cities put them in where 95% of the traffic goes one direction. They aren’t a replacement to two way stops and they need to be designed so you don’t basically have to stop to enter them.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I've seen people forget to merge into traffic and just stay on the clover leaf as they don't remember to merge left and just get stay in exit lane. I did it once just to see how long it would take to go around all 4 cloverleafs. :D

That was my go-to move (well 3/4 of it) when leaving football games. The right lane on highway 30 backs way up with people going south on I-35. Stay in the left lane past the traffic and do the I-35N -> Hwy 30 W -> I-35S loops. You get on I-35 much faster and you don't have to be a jerk and cut in line.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The other problem is a lot of them are rather poorly designed. Visual obstructions in the middle... small roundabouts where you can't tell until the last second if someone is staying in the roundabout or exiting (leading to people's failures in stopping) etc.
There is supposed to be a visual obstruction in the middle, that is proper design. When entering, you're going at a slow enough speed that you don't need to see the opposite side. Additionally, if you could see completely though, it makes it more likely that someone will either not realize it's a roundabout or try to drive straight through, especially at night.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There is supposed to be a visual obstruction in the middle, that is proper design. When entering, you're going at a slow enough speed that you don't need to see the opposite side. Additionally, if you could see completely though, it makes it more likely that someone will either not realize it's a roundabout or try to drive straight through, especially at night.

Except that's just straight up not true for the small roundabouts you often see in suburban areas. Even at slow speeds that person coming from the other side could be someone you need to yield to.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Except that's just straight up not true for the small roundabouts you often see in suburban areas. Even at slow speeds that person coming from the other side could be someone you need to yield to.
They are also going at a slow speed inside of the roundabout, you'll have enough reaction time.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

If people signaled correctly in roundabouts it would help a lot. You should always signal when exiting but almost nobody does. A few people do if they are turning right but I'd bet less than 1 in 1,000 does when going straight through or turning left.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
If people signaled correctly in roundabouts it would help a lot. You should always signal when exiting but almost nobody does. A few people do if they are turning right but I'd bet less than 1 in 1,000 does when going straight through or turning left.

This is true (and I rarely signal tbh), but in the smaller ones it's not always clear which exit you are taking when you signal, the time between one exit and the next isn't much.

I'm a fan of round a bouts (especially if everyone eventually figures them out), but I know one or two that the small size makes them more challenging.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12