I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
You know dam well they will.

Unless they changed the law, I think any project involving public money (roads, schools, etc.) Must go to the lowest bidder.

When they built the new high school gym in my hometown they got into trouble for selecting the second lowest bidder. (Local company that they were confident in.) The lowest bidder threw a fit. Long story short they had to redo the bidding. The company that threw a fit didnt submit a bid, and all that was accomplished was delaying the project.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Unless they changed the law, I think any project involving public money (roads, schools, etc.) Must go to the lowest bidder.

When they built the new high school gym in my hometown they got into trouble for selecting the second lowest bidder. (Local company that they were confident in.) The lowest bidder threw a fit. Long story short they had to redo the bidding. The company that threw a fit didnt submit a bid, and all that was accomplished was delaying the project.

Lowest qualified bidder.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Timid drivers trying to merge into rush hour traffic is the worst and is absolutely dangerous. Slower is not always safer in every situation. I see it all the time trying to merge on to I235 east bound on 31st St. Traffic in the merge lanes is terrible there because everyone is getting over to exit on MLK and Keo. I have seen multiple near accidents because someone slows way down because they dont know how to deal with the heavy traffic.

I've asked the DOT a couple of times to turn on the metering on the entrance ramp by my office. At least then I would have a chance to hammer it and merge at the speed of traffic. Often there is 1 car trying to merge at 45 and then 10 cars lined up behind them trying to figure how to merge into 75 mph traffic while going 45. And then somebody gets antsy and merges wayyy before they're supposed and just makes it worse for everybody.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's actually really stupid and dangerous. Take other roads if you can't go at least 60.

My father in law always has to drive when he's in town and it's nothing short of terrifying. He was just here a couple of weeks ago and he was complaining about the maniacs that are driving 65 MPH on the on ramps o_O

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
DOT has used this company before and has said they will continue to use this company.

I mean, while the delay sucks, we're getting this bridge at a discount now due to the $5k\day penalties on the contract, so it works out either way for the DOT

• Winner
  • Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm ready for self-driving cars. Some people are so oblivious to how their actions hurt others when they're driving.

I have often thought about what the future holds for driving and efficiency. Self driving cars and some kind of transponder controller system could greatly improve traffic efficiency. That being said I think it is decades off at the earliest due to cost and giving up control to big brother so to speak.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That makes sense but you should see all the dumbasses try to navigate the roundabouts in Johnston. IT SAYS YIELD NOT STOP!

People are dumb.

Roundabouts are annoying. You always get two people:

1. The person who comes to a complete stop because they don’t know what to do.

2. The person who doesn’t yield at all and barrels into the circle.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
I was getting onto 235 West at Valley West this morning and was stuck behind a car that merged onto the interstate going 45. There is absolutely NO reason to be going that slow.
I was driving north at the I-35 / Highway 30 intersection yesterday, and there was a car stopped on the clover-leaf waiting to merge onto I-35 north. You can't fix stupid people, but hopefully this new flyover will buffer their ****** driving skills.