Why didn't I think of this . . .

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8507

So how does that stop anyone else from just driving through the gate? Is that more like a gate to stop cows from leaving the property?
If you have livestock and separate them from different fields, this is perfect as the lanes are within your property and only used by your machinery. Pasture next to corn or bean fields, etc. Probably not as common as it was 40-50 years ago, but when I was younger, this would have saved a LOT of jumping off to open the gate, jump back on to drive through, jump off to close the gate, go do what you needed in that field, then repeat to get back out.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
If you have livestock and separate them from different fields, this is perfect as the lanes are within your property and only used by your machinery. Pasture next to corn or bean fields, etc. Probably not as common as it was 40-50 years ago, but when I was younger, this would have saved a LOT of jumping off to open the gate, jump back on to drive through, jump off to close the gate, go do what you needed in that field, then repeat to get back out.
This why you make sure you have someone riding ***** with you. ***** always has to get the gate.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Since it doesn't discriminate based on vehicle, it's not a security gate by any means. I can only see it being practical as a livestock gate.

I have 2 questions:

1) The pressure pad assists in lifting the gate, but does it also prevent the gate from being lifted conventionally? We used to get cattle that would get their noses under gates to try to lift them up. They wouldn't move because they were locked or fastened to a post. Would an assisted lift mechanism make it easier?

2) What is the weight limit required to lift the gate? If you had a few steers on it, I wonder if they would be heavy enough to trigger it.

I feel like sending this link to my dad so I can hear him say: "I can get in and out of my truck a lot of times for less than $2500."

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Since it doesn't discriminate based on vehicle, it's not a security gate by any means. I can only see it being practical as a livestock gate.

I have 2 questions:

1) The pressure pad assists in lifting the gate, but does it also prevent the gate from being lifted conventionally? We used to get cattle that would get their noses under gates to try to lift them up. They wouldn't move because they were locked or fastened to a post. Would an assisted lift mechanism make it easier?

2) What is the weight limit required to lift the gate? If you had a few steers on it, I wonder if they would be heavy enough to trigger it.

I feel like sending this link to my dad so I can hear him say: "I can get in and out of my truck a lot of times for less than $2500."
Coolerifyoudid's farm:
9ad330ff4974ba70d9a4a725646b25c5.jpg

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Seems like it’d be problematic in the winter during freeze/thaw cycles.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Can't wait for the hired man to drive on this to raise the gate and then drive off the side of it so the gate drops between the truck/tractor and wagon ripping the gate right off of it. (See how close the teal trailer is to driving off the side of the actuator in the video?)

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Can't wait for the hired man to drive on this to raise the gate and then drive off the side of it so the gate drops between the truck/tractor and wagon ripping the gate right off of it. (See how close the teal trailer is to driving off the side of the actuator in the video?)
It seemed like the air cylinder was delayed, like a screen door. The biggest issue I saw was when the cement truck ran over it: that thing shot up and rattled around quite a bit, and the tread portion was flexing under the weight. I’m guessing it would start breaking welds and shearing bolts pretty quickly.

But to answer the op’s question: yes it’s a pretty ingenious design, it would just need tweaked to make it effective long term.