Yankees and White Sox to play in Iowa in 2020

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If you build it, they will come. <br><br>The <a href="https://twitter.com/Yankees?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Yankees</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/whitesox?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@whitesox</a> to play an official MLB game at the Field of Dreams movie site on August 13, 2020. <br><br>The league will begin construction on a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark on the Dysersville site that neighbors the iconic movie set. <a href="https://t.co/dctL3HLoOM">pic.twitter.com/dctL3HLoOM</a></p>&mdash; Front Office Sports (@frntofficesport) <a href="">August 8, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, that's somewhat of a relief to me. Less chance that the game turns into a total joke or that someone gets hurt on a crappy field. Still, wish they would play this as an exhibition and not a game that counts in the standings. Has a chance to be sort of a joke of a game like the two in London this summer.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Well, that's somewhat of a relief to me. Less chance that the game turns into a total joke or that someone gets hurt on a crappy field. Still, wish they would play this as an exhibition and not a game that counts in the standings. Has a chance to be sort of a joke of a game like the two in London this summer.

Are you nuts? We beat the breaks off of Boston in London!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think how they are doing it is perfect, though it would be nice to have a little more seating. Maybe see how it is received by the teams the first time around, then potentially add a little more seating if it becomes something that they do every year, or maybe even a few times a year with different teams rotating through. I think it's the right move to not mess with the actual field.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and wxman1

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think it is a great idea if it's a real game, especially if it can be something that happens annually or a few times a year for a rotation of teams. Considering there are 162 games, playing one oddball game shouldn't matter much. If people are worried about the field configuration being strange and impacting the game, there have always been some extreme differences in field configuration which has been one of the cool things about baseball. I doubt they are going to have anything any stranger than the green monster, Pesky's pole, the CF hill in Houston, the Little League RF porch at Yankee stadium or the 10,000 acres of foul territory in Oakland.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
The logistics for this seem like a nightmare, where's everyone gonna park?
But as a life long Sox fan that grew up in SE Iowa, this seems like a can't miss event if I can find a ticket, gotta imagine tickets are gonna start $200+ with secondary market in the 1000s.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Think Final Four, only more. Lot's more since only 8,000 and no nose bleeds.
Kind of like getting a ticket for the US Women's National Team at Allianz. Tickets are double or more what they are getting at most of the other victory tour venues.

Venue and capacity:
Rose Bowl - 90,888
Lincoln Financial Field - 69,176
Allianz Field - 19,400
Bank of America Stadium - 75,412
Soldier Field - 61,500

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I think it is a great idea if it's a real game, especially if it can be something that happens annually or a few times a year for a rotation of teams. Considering there are 162 games, playing one oddball game shouldn't matter much. If people are worried about the field configuration being strange and impacting the game, there have always been some extreme differences in field configuration which has been one of the cool things about baseball. I doubt they are going to have anything any stranger than the green monster, Pesky's pole, the CF hill in Houston, the Little League RF porch at Yankee stadium or the 10,000 acres of foul territory in Oakland.
Should always be the white sox, in my opinion. I'm assuming it will be counted as a home game for them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Are you nuts? We beat the breaks off of Boston in London!

Not dangerously so, but yeah, I am kinda nuts.

And this summer is making me more cray cray. On one hand all of the injuries are having me pull my hair out. On the other hand The Replacement Yankees somehow continue to rally and keep winning.

Reactions: weR138

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kind of like getting a ticket for the US Women's National Team at Allianz. Tickets are double or more what they are getting at most of the other victory tour venues.

Venue and capacity:
Rose Bowl - 90,888
Lincoln Financial Field - 69,176
Allianz Field - 19,400
Bank of America Stadium - 75,412
Soldier Field - 61,500

Tickets plus airfare to the London games would have been cheaper than these will be. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If you build it, they will come. <br><br>The <a href="https://twitter.com/Yankees?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Yankees</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/whitesox?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@whitesox</a> to play an official MLB game at the Field of Dreams movie site on August 13, 2020. <br><br>The league will begin construction on a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark on the Dysersville site that neighbors the iconic movie set. <a href="https://t.co/dctL3HLoOM">pic.twitter.com/dctL3HLoOM</a></p>&mdash; Front Office Sports (@frntofficesport) <a href="">August 8, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will they be able to use this for the iowa highschool baseball playoffs too. Because that would be pretty neat.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
The logistics for this seem like a nightmare, where's everyone gonna park?
But as a life long Sox fan that grew up in SE Iowa, this seems like a can't miss event if I can find a ticket, gotta imagine tickets are gonna start $200+ with secondary market in the 1000s.

I'm anticipating they would have parking in a neighboring hay field and shuttles to take people to the temporary ballpark.

• Agree

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm anticipating they would have parking in a neighboring hay field and shuttles to take people to the temporary ballpark.

The people that will be coming to this will not be pleased with parking in a hay field. I fully expect some kind of shuttle situation from Dyersville and Dubuque.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think it would be great if MLB did MORE destination games like this. Go to a smaller market minor league stadium and bring the big league team. People would show up and watch TV to see them there.

And abolish the black out rules while you're at it so people can watch baseball whenever it's on!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Well, if the Sox are considered the home team, it won't be much different for them crowd-wise.

/jimlad

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Not dangerously so, but yeah, I am kinda nuts.

And this summer is making me more cray cray. On one hand all of the injuries are having me pull my hair out. On the other hand The Replacement Yankees somehow continue to rally and keep winning.

Those damn windy bike rides aren't helping, either.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think it would be great if MLB did MORE destination games like this. Go to a smaller market minor league stadium and bring the big league team. People would show up and watch TV to see them there.

And abolish the black out rules while you're at it so people can watch baseball whenever it's on!

Seriously, has there been a dumber strategy to market a sport than MLBs blackout rule?

It's almost like these morons didn't notice all the Cubs and Braves fans that popped up around the country in the 80s despite the teams being bad.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I don't like the word Temporary. This could be an awesome venue for many events going forward. Hopefully it stays up and Iowans get to reap the rewards into the future. This would be an amazing game to go to and I don't like either team. 2021 Cubs vs. Cards would be epic.

Reactions: VeloClone