Yankees and White Sox to play in Iowa in 2020

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Seriously, has there been a dumber strategy to market a sport than MLBs blackout rule?

It's almost like these morons didn't notice all the Cubs and Braves fans that popped up around the country in the 80s despite the teams being bad.

I am a Cubs and, to a lesser extent, Braves fan because I was able to see games all the time when I was younger.

They also need to do more marketing, like this Field of Dreams thing, on social media. You often have to wait forever to see highlights. They should be blasting them all over Twitter and Facebook for EVERY game. There are good players in the MLB that I have NEVER seen play. Example #1 is Mike Trout. I've seen a few highlights, but rarely.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't like the word Temporary. This could be an awesome venue for many events going forward. Hopefully it stays up and Iowans get to reap the rewards into the future. This would be an amazing game to go to and I don't like either team. 2021 Cubs vs. Cards would be epic.

While that sounds awesome as a Cubs fan, neither team would want to give up the revenue from a Division Rivalry game like THAT one.

I also think it should always be the White Sox, due to their connection to the movie.
I think they picked the Yankees, one, to get more eyeballs with a marquee team, and also because the Yankees are one of the most Old School teams which matches the era connection.

I think they should also wear Black Sox throwback era uniforms for this game.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
The people that will be coming to this will not be pleased with parking in a hay field. I fully expect some kind of shuttle situation from Dyersville and Dubuque.
That's a really good idea. Hire a transportation company to do it the right way and give people several options.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Will they be able to use this for the iowa highschool baseball playoffs too. Because that would be pretty neat.
I mean that sounds cool but say a SW town makes it: Shenandoah. That's a 5hr and 20min ride one way. That presents some challenges.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I mean that sounds cool but say a SW town makes it: Shenandoah. That's a 5hr and 20min ride one way. That presents some challenges.
Yes, but the football playoffs have been played in the UNI dome for how many years now which is only an hour closer. It would probably only be a one time thing as the field will be temporary. It would be worth it if you ask me.
It wouldnt be great to have to do anually but a one time thing would be neat.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Shenandoah went 7-23 and hasn’t had a winning season since 2013 so I don’t think we have to worry about them.

But in all seriousness, it’d be cool to have it there once. Or have a midseason invitational tourney with teams from all classes there. It’d be an awesome experience for sure

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Better get a second mortgage to afford those tickets. Awesome idea and I hope it continues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes, but the football playoffs have been played in the UNI dome for how many years now which is only an hour closer. It would probably only be a one time thing as the field will be temporary. It would be worth it if you ask me.
It wouldnt be great to have to do anually but a one time thing would be neat.
A couple of years after I graduated I went to my high school's state tournament baseball game in Marshalltown. They played West Lyon. That is a 4 1/2 hour drive. Shenandoah to Dyersville is 5 hours so it isn't a huge difference.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Frustrated with the lack of corn in the outfield. Close to amazing but totally trying too hard to make it less cool. Hey lets take maybe America's 3 or 4th most recognized ball field. Make a game about it use a temporary ball field but make it like old comiskey park. WTF to the heck with old comiskey. Make this temp field as much like the field of dreams as you can. Drrrr.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

Help Support Us

Become a patron