Best choice for cord cutters

Clon3

Mar 24, 2014
The only issue I have with my Hulu Live is the guide. I can't figure out for the life of me to see more than 30 minutes or an hour ahead for scheduling. Pretty annoying. So any help with that would be great... I watch through an Xbox One if that makes a difference

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Anyone else that cut cable frustrated that a year and a half ago internet tv was about $35/month, and now they keep adding features I don't want and charge $50/month.

Not really. I was paying like $140 for the top package on DTV like 5 years ago and it doesn’t even work in big rain storms or heavy snows.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The only issue I have with my Hulu Live is the guide. I can't figure out for the life of me to see more than 30 minutes or an hour ahead for scheduling. Pretty annoying. So any help with that would be great... I watch through an Xbox One if that makes a difference

There is no solution for that. THE #1 reason I switched to PS Vue. #2 being the annoying way they mix live and on demand content.

• Informative
Reactions: Clon3

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Ditched Cable last week.
Signed up for YouTube TV.

Bought three Firesticks 4Ks.

Apparently Firesticks are not compatable with YoutubeTV. (youtube-yes; YTTV-No).
#Fail

Back to the Drawing board......grrrr....

They will be soon. Just check out Hulu live to PS Vue until then.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

They are releasing a fix for this soon. They updated the web browser guide to see like 2 weeks into the future. They are rolling it out to android, roku and firetv soon.

• Agree
Reactions: Clon3 and dawgpound

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Anyone else that cut cable frustrated that a year and a half ago internet tv was about $35/month, and now they keep adding features I don't want and charge $50/month.

I think over time these things will get corrected because there is a lot of competition in the streaming world which is a good thing. Over time the ones that will thrive will cut dead weight channels in order to keep their prices down. They haven't hit the customers ceiling yet but they are getting closer.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I used to bag on Mediacom until I updated my home with Ubiquiti Unifi stuff. 0 problems since. I'm planning to go back to streaming but our 100mbps down and basic cable with TiVo is $89/month.

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
Just ditched Direct. 3 Firesticks and SportzTV streaming on 40MB Century Link. No problems yet and $25/mo. fo a gazillion channels.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Honestly haven't had any issues with Mediacom except for a couple weeks ago I had 3/4 channels that had some signal issues, but those are back now.

I had 3 TVs and 2 of them would randomly give me the block patterns making it unusable. They came out multiple times, swapped the digital convertors a couple times, even wasted over 3 hours one afternoon doing signal testing and changing coax endpoints. They could never figure it out. One night after a long day, I sat down to watch TV and it was doing it again and I ran out of patience. Boxed up everything that night and returned it in the morning.

What blew my mind, is that they still have to climb the pole outside my house in order to turn of the TV portion. It's not all scrambled, so they waste time and money having someone come out and do that.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed. Mediacom in our area is horrible. Old infrastructure.

Yeah, it's all based on area. I would consider switching back to Mediacom if they would come up with a reasonable plan. I even live in a neighborhood with good quality Centurylink service (I get a reliable 80 down/25 up service for lifetime $55/month) and Mediacom won't offer anything for a decent price that has a reasonable data cap. They offer deals on their 60 meg service all the time, but it comes with a tiny datacap. I wouldn't consider switching from my limitless Centurylink service unless Mediacom would offer a long term deal that could compete with it. I even called them up looking to switch one time and they would not offer me a reasonable deal.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I used to bag on Mediacom until I updated my home with Ubiquiti Unifi stuff. 0 problems since. I'm planning to go back to streaming but our 100mbps down and basic cable with TiVo is $89/month.

I'll have to look closer at that one. A couple years ago, I went with the Orbi and I'm not thrilled with it. For ~$300, there is no reason 2 devices shouldn't be able to cover a 4500 sq ft house plus at least part of the driveway, but it's really hit and miss. I have a couple wifi IP cameras where I can't get ethernet or POE to, so they use 2.4ghz and I'm forced to reboot the primary wifi router once a week or so because eventually it starts dropping wifi connections, but once it reboots, it's fine.

One of these weekends, I'm going to install https://pi-hole.net/ and remove the DHCP service from the Orbi and see if that helps.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'll have to look closer at that one. A couple years ago, I went with the Orbi and I'm not thrilled with it. For ~$300, there is no reason 2 devices shouldn't be able to cover a 4500 sq ft house plus at least part of the driveway, but it's really hit and miss. I have a couple wifi IP cameras where I can't get ethernet or POE to, so they use 2.4ghz and I'm forced to reboot the primary wifi router once a week or so because eventually it starts dropping wifi connections, but once it reboots, it's fine.

One of these weekends, I'm going to install https://pi-hole.net/ and remove the DHCP service from the Orbi and see if that helps.

I have 3 Asus Onhubs and they've worked fantastic. Bought 3 of them used for $100 on ebay. I don't need anything too fancy with features so this setup has worked great. I do wish I could separate out the 2.4 and 5.0 bands though. I have service through out my entire 1/3 acre lot. Have one down stairs, one on the main floor (single story ranch) and one in my detached garage.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Did the PSVue free trial. Found out you could not DVR the local channels. Switch to YouTube TV and very happy so far (3.5 months).

Internet is Mediacom 100mbps for $79.62/mth

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Ditched Cable last week.
Signed up for YouTube TV.

Bought three Firesticks 4Ks.

Apparently Firesticks are not compatable with YoutubeTV. (youtube-yes; YTTV-No).
#Fail

Back to the Drawing board......grrrr....
Did not know this. Guess I'm sticking with PS Vue

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Curious.. you streamers.. how much is your internet package?

I have Gig, but I don't need it. Got it for the bandwidth, but I only use 2Tb/mo. I will probably downgrade once the special is done.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron