Best choice for cord cutters

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Yeah, they refuse to come back into established neighborhoods and lay fiber... I would drop my mediacom service down to 60 but I would definitely go over the monthly cap during football and basketball season.

I'm in Waukee and I looked into the Mi-Fiber stuff, but its just as expensive, if not more.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I tried Hulu live TV and it was pretty good, especially since I already had Hulu, so it was all in one bill that was pretty cheap. I had a big problem with ESPN channels on it though. I checked with Hulu and the problem was that my internet IP wasn't linked to where I was living for some reason, so it wouldn't show any of the ESPN channels for some reason. I went to PS Vue and am very happy with it. Another problem with Hulu live is it doesn't work with Android TV because Hulu doesn't have an update for Android. This is kind of silly to me since android is the OS for all Sony TVs.

It works with some Android TV devices:

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/supported-android-tv?language=en_US

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Seems about right..

My issue with streaming is you'll want good internet and good internet is anywhere from $80-$100. Throw that in with a $50 streaming package and you're basically up there with what you'd pay for Mediacom/DirecTV/Dish.

I have Mediacom with 100 mbps and TiVo and I pay about $165 a month.

I’ve got around the 70mbps range price for life with centurylink for 65 per month including the modem rental. We don’t have any issues with Vue, Netflix, Hulu, etc. All the internet problems I’ve had were usually with Mediacom. I’ve moved around a ton and have switched providers quite a few times. I’ve had good luck with mediacom in some areas and it has been absolutely terrible in others.

All in all we pay around 140 for internet and the middle vue package with showtime.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm in Waukee and I looked into the Mi-Fiber stuff, but its just as expensive, if not more.

There needs to be competition and I eventually think that you will see more reliable satellite options. When you start talking about having to lay fiber, the initial investment into the infrastructure is absolutely massive.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’ve got around the 70mbps range price for life with centurylink for 65 per month including the modem rental. We don’t have any issues with Vue, Netflix, Hulu, etc. All the internet problems I’ve had were usually with Mediacom. I’ve moved around a ton and have switched providers quite a few times. I’ve had good luck with mediacom in some areas and it has been absolutely terrible in others.

All in all we pay around 140 for internet and the middle vue package with showtime.

Funny how that works. I've heard people complain about mediacom issues and over the last 2 years I've had almost no issues with them but my Century Link internet fell off all the time during peak hours. I think the people that have a lot of Mediacom issues are renting their crappy equipment... Those all in one modems are garbage.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
OTA, plus find a family member with a Direct TV/Dish Network/Cable TV login. $0 monthly cost. Feel free to thank me later.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Seems about right..

My issue with streaming is you'll want good internet and good internet is anywhere from $80-$100. Throw that in with a $50 streaming package and you're basically up there with what you'd pay for Mediacom/DirecTV/Dish.

I have Mediacom with 100 mbps and TiVo and I pay about $165 a month.

I was paying Mediacom $172/mn for their "triple play" with the least number of channels they offer, so no ESPNU or some others. I finally dropped everything but the internet, so now I'm at $80 for 100 mbps. Once I add YouTube TV, I'm back up to $130 and I can live with that. Between Mediacom's flaky cable signal and the crummy group of channels, I'm happy to live without their TV. Plus in the summer, when everyone is busy and not watching TV, I can suspend the YouTube account temporarily. Mediacom won't offer that, I tried.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I tried Hulu live TV and it was pretty good, especially since I already had Hulu, so it was all in one bill that was pretty cheap. I had a big problem with ESPN channels on it though. I checked with Hulu and the problem was that my internet IP wasn't linked to where I was living for some reason, so it wouldn't show any of the ESPN channels for some reason. I went to PS Vue and am very happy with it. Another problem with Hulu live is it doesn't work with Android TV because Hulu doesn't have an update for Android. This is kind of silly to me since android is the OS for all Sony TVs.

Actually, they just released the update last week for the Android TV.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Funny how that works. I've heard people complain about mediacom issues and over the last 2 years I've had almost no issues with them but my Century Link internet fell off all the time during peak hours. I think the people that have a lot of Mediacom issues are renting their crappy equipment... Those all in one modems are garbage.

Could not agree more. Always provide your own equipment. It's better and you don't have to pay the stupid rental fee.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

I have mi-fiber. Just got hooked up 2 weeks ago. Centurylink only has 12mbps in my area and mediacom is down about every other day it seems. I have no issue paying $60/month for 75/75 compared to the 45 for 12/.5 CL or $50 for 60,100mbps with data caps from unreliable mediacom.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
PS Vue here. Switched front hulu live over a year ago way too clunky. PS Vue and YouTube tv seem to be head and shoulders above anything at this point.

$80 a month for att fiber I think it’s like 100000 MBS or something. It’s fast.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

It’s all goofy. Right now I’ve had better luck using a new century link all in one than when I was using one of their older ones as a pass through for an Archer C7 router. It’s worked with decent enough speed that I haven’t noticed it so I stopped messing with it.

My issue with mediacom has always been connectivity. My internet would randomly drop for a few minutes, a few times a day on a daily basis.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012

I have the modem for internet and then 3 boxes for tv. But never have had any issues with anything, really. My centurylink always fell off too, around 6PM at night.

I was paying Mediacom $172/mn for their "triple play" with the least number of channels they offer, so no ESPNU or some others. I finally dropped everything but the internet, so now I'm at $80 for 100 mbps. Once I add YouTube TV, I'm back up to $130 and I can live with that. Between Mediacom's flaky cable signal and the crummy group of channels, I'm happy to live without their TV. Plus in the summer, when everyone is busy and not watching TV, I can suspend the YouTube account temporarily. Mediacom won't offer that, I tried.

Honestly haven't had any issues with Mediacom except for a couple weeks ago I had 3/4 channels that had some signal issues, but those are back now.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I have mi-fiber. Just got hooked up 2 weeks ago. Centurylink only has 12mbps in my area and mediacom is down about every other day it seems. I have no issue paying $60/month for 75/75 compared to the 45 for 12/.5 CL or $50 for 60,100mbps with data caps from unreliable mediacom.

Again, must be based on location. Never any internet issues with Mediacom for me.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Mediacom is a terrible company. They could offer 10 times the speed for a quarter of the price and I wouldn't switch back to them.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Anyone else that cut cable frustrated that a year and a half ago internet tv was about $35/month, and now they keep adding features I don't want and charge $50/month.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Just switched back to Hulu Live since we were unable to reliably get OTA channels in our new home state of Georgia. We're loving the internet competition here which has allowed us to get 100 mbps for $35 a month with no data cap.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Ditched Cable last week.
Signed up for YouTube TV.

Bought three Firesticks 4Ks.

Apparently Firesticks are not compatable with YoutubeTV. (youtube-yes; YTTV-No).
#Fail

Back to the Drawing board......grrrr....