Homemade Bacon Question

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hey fellow smoker I need some advice . Making my first attempt at homemade bacon and ran unto a schedule issue. I put the belly in brine last Sunday afternoon. Was originally going to let set a week, Dry for a day to get a pellicle. and then smoke it.

We ended up having to travel out of state this weekend so my options are.

1.Smoke it Friday after being in brine for 4 days with little time to dry or form pellicle.
2. Leave it in brine for 8 days, then dry and smoke.
3. Leave it in brine for 5 days. Let dry (unattended) for 2.5 days and then smoke.

I think I have plenty of curing salt in the brine so I'm not terribly worried about it going bad in any case. Just curious if there are known pros and cons th any of the 3 options.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I would go with #3 and leave it in the coldest part of your fridge, ideally around 30F. Wrap it in flour sack towels and you should be fine.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It sounds great. I have been cooking a lot of pork belly this summer. Burnt ends, specifically. Haven't tried making bacon yet, but I should.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
As a fellow smoker I would say It's pretty close between 2 and 3, I wouldn't go with 1. If you think it would be fine, I'd lean towards 2, but both seem like good options.

You don't seem to be in too much of a bind with only being a day off schedule.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have smoked plenty of pork belly. I would go with #2. I usually do the 7 day cure to, turning it over every day. The only thing to worry about is if it has may taken in too much salt. You may want to let it soak in water for a few hours and draw some of it back out, and then let if form a pellicle for a day.

I really don't think it is going to cause any difference having it in an extra day. Are you curing it with just curing salt?

P.S. Anyone have a good recipe for a jalapeno cilantro bacon cure?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
As a fellow smoker I would say It's pretty close between 2 and 3, I wouldn't go with 1. If you think it would be fine, I'd lean towards 2, but both seem like good options.

You don't seem to be in too much of a bind with only being a day off schedule.

I would lean towards 2 myself, but don't think you could go wrong with 2 or 3 TBH.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I really don't think it is going to cause any difference having it in an extra day. Are you curing it with just curing salt?

No I have a big belly and cut it in half. One piece has a brine with Honey, crushed red peppers, paprika, etc. The other is a brown sugar and black pepper blend with some other spices. Both have kosher salt and curing salt curing salt.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No I have a big belly and cut it in half. One piece has a brine with Honey, crushed red peppers, paprika, etc. The other is a brown sugar and black pepper blend with some other spices. Both have kosher salt and curing salt curing salt.

Nice! I picked up a slicer on a swap site for $10. Can't wait to slice cured bacon and cured pork loin.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'd vote 2, but 3 isn't awful.

I once got an entire pork belly and tried to make bacon without realizing the skin was attached. I'll claim ignorance as a city kid, but I'll never make that mistake again

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've never done bacon (yet) but I'd go #2. I've left things in brines longer than suggested with no ill effects. Both quality and taste.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I've never done bacon (yet) but I'd go #2. I've left things in brines longer than suggested with no ill effects. Both quality and taste.

Ya I'll but my disclamer on as well. I've never done bacon but just about everything else smokewise and I'd go with 2 then 3, both close.

We really need a smoking forum.

• Winner
Reactions: CubsClones1

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Hey fellow smoker I need some advice . Making my first attempt at homemade bacon and ran unto a schedule issue. I put the belly in brine last Sunday afternoon. Was originally going to let set a week, Dry for a day to get a pellicle. and then smoke it.

We ended up having to travel out of state this weekend so my options are.

1.Smoke it Friday after being in brine for 4 days with little time to dry or form pellicle.
2. Leave it in brine for 8 days, then dry and smoke.
3. Leave it in brine for 5 days. Let dry (unattended) for 2.5 days and then smoke.

I think I have plenty of curing salt in the brine so I'm not terribly worried about it going bad in any case. Just curious if there are known pros and cons th any of the 3 options.

If you have made it before was it too salty? If not let it be till you get home. Then do your process. I have not ever dried to form pellicle. I have messed around 8-10 times with bacon. It is always good but I have never made the perfect tasting slab. I ended up salting the last batch when I fried, because the batch before was too salty. Need the perfect brine recipe please. No maple I have tried and dont like using different amounts of pure maple syrup. Just me I guess.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Finally tried my bacon today. Was pleased with first time. great texture and good flavor. For anyone that followed this thread I ended up setting in Brine for 8 days. I rinsed off brine and then soaked in water for 2 hours fearing too much salt. Glad I did as it is good but pushing the edge of being too salty.Smoked with apple and a touch of hickory. .

Question? Is saltiness more a function of salt and nitrite amount in brine, or, how long you let it sit in the brine?

Also I'd welcome anyone's favorite brine recipes. Especially sweet/spicy, black pepper, or a more traditional bacon.

Last edited: