If you were JP....

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Much like Hoiberg it wouldnt be the money. If he has a desire to coach at the pinnacle of his profession there wont be anything anyone can do to keep him in Ames.

Don't see CMC ever inquiring about the pinnacle-- the Gophers job.

• Funny
Reactions: jsb

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Don't see CMC ever inquiring about the pinnacle-- the Gophers job.

True, we can be thankful that Campbell hasn't ****** around with us for the 4 years he's been here like the other one ;)

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
He'll leave when he's ready. I dont think its anything JP is going to do. He'll make aure he, and his assistants are compensated.

Hopefully he's here long enough that people start complaining on here about 8/9 win seasons as underachieving like we do basketball.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Remember Matt Campbell does not have an agent out there searching for other jobs and trying to shake down ISU for more money. He just wants ISU to spend on the program what other schools are spending against whom ISU has to compete.

When and if he leaves ISU, it will be for a really good gig. Probably in the NFL.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
CMC is smart enough to understand ISU and JP will do and are doing everything they can within their means to keep him happy. If he wants more than that, then there is nothing we can do. If he likes ISU and building what we have, he'll stay.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Dear fellow Iowa State fans,

Stop listening to Iowa fans and the national media regarding Iowa State not being able to keep CMC. This isn't 10 years ago! Iowa State has more money coming in than anyone ever thought was possible. If we lose a coach it won't be because Iowa State can't afford to pay them.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Dear fellow Iowa State fans,

Stop listening to Iowa fans and the national media regarding Iowa State not being able to keep CMC. This isn't 10 years ago! Iowa State has more money coming in than anyone ever thought was possible. If we lose a coach it won't be because Iowa State can't afford to pay them.

The national media was right about Hoiberg. We were wrong. It's completely reasonable to be worried that Campbell will move on.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It won't be money that takes him away. It'll be a top tier blue blood or the NFL. My guess is Notre Dame after Brian Kelly retires, which is still about a 5-7 years away IMO.

I've been quietly rooting for Notre Dame for a while now, so it doesn't open up any sooner than necessary. Same with tOSU. When I heard that Day was promoted to HC I did a fist pump in my car.
giphyA8FMITYZ.gif

I am a huge Ryan Day fan for the rest of his tenure at tOSU.

• Agree

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Tell me. What does a 'blue blood' offer that Iowa State can't? History? Money? If money is no issue, why would anyone bank on being a 'part' of history when they can 'make' history?
Recruiting base to win a National Championship. It's not hard to figure out the advantages of a blur blood program.
Personally, I would rather make history than basically repeat it, but I'm not a coach.

• Agree

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The national media was right about Hoiberg. We were wrong. It's completely reasonable to be worried that Campbell will move on.
Worrying about something that you can't control is asinine. Unless you are a rich guy who isn't contributing, that is.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Recruiting base to win a National Championship. It's not hard to figure out the advantages of a blur blood program.
Personally, I would rather make history than basically repeat it, but I'm not a coach.

Yes and no. Sure Saban has a massive amount of talent but his program is a well oiled machine. He isn't just winning because of talent.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The national media has predicted that Campbell would leave the past two years and have been wrong so far. The media only got it right when Hoiberg was linked specifically with the Bulls. Some media people also had Hoiberg leaving a year or two before he actually went. Let me know when Campbell is "linked" with a specific college or NFL team and I'll take it seriously.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yes and no. Sure Saban has a massive amount of talent but his program is a well oiled machine. He isn't just winning because of talent.

I never said or implied that. The talent available to an Alabama, USC, UND, OSU, etc.. is just different. That doesn't mean you will win there. I think we know Matt can coach so we are talking about the razors edge between being very good and great.