Minnesota & Fleck

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The Daniel Jackson thread had a Minnesota mention (the other Daniel Jackson) and it piqued my curiosity so I checked out Athlon's Minn prediction which is 5th in the B1G West this season.

What's the deal with row boat?... Was he hired at the same time as Campbell? IIRC he was the sexiest of sexy names getting hired when he did. Not that Athlon is gospel but I'd presume he would be doing better than that by now if he was the star everyone thought he was.

Any Clones (or Hawks) in the Cities with any insight?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
B1G West = pillow fight

FIFY (even though you were being sarcastic)

public-pillow-fight-on-international-pillow-fight-day.jpg

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The Daniel Jackson thread had a Minnesota mention (the other Daniel Jackson) and it piqued my curiosity so I checked out Athlon's Minn prediction which is 5th in the B1G West this season.

What's the deal with row boat?... Was he hired at the same time as Campbell? IIRC he was the sexiest of sexy names getting hired when he did. Not that Athlon is gospel but I'd presume he would be doing better than that by now if he was the star everyone thought he was.

Any Clones (or Hawks) in the Cities with any insight?

I live in MSP but don't pay huge attention to UMN sports. All I can say is, the guy is a clown and I would venture that most sports fans up here view him that way. His catchphrases and other nonsense don't go very far when you're not winning. My opinion is the guy is totally engrossed in himself and his "row the boat" culture and cares little for much else.

That being said, he's only entering year 3 (they were 5-7 year 1 and 7-6 year two) and Campbell is year 4. Fleck had the big win against Wisky last year in Madison and I think that fired a lot of people up. I don't think UMN had won over there since like 1994 so it was a big win for the program. There's optimism around the program, but people don't pay that much attention to UMN anyway. When you're competing against the Vikings and Twins, and even the Wild, college football draws a very, very small following. In 4 years of living here I think I've met one season ticket holder for Gopher football.

It will be interesting to see how he does this year. I'm guessing his ******** wears on people pretty fast because all he does is talk in cliches.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I've said it to all of my Minnesota fan friends, but after Fleck came out and lobbied for a "Year Zero", I thought he was all flash. His face is on every marketing material up here, and even when he talks to the local radio station he seems very fake. IDK. He is a good talker and can "build the hype" around their program every year, but if he continues to trip up against the low-to-middle tier of the B1G, many Minnesota fans will be jumping off soon. You can already kinda see the mood around him changing, not that they don't believe in him, but i think the "row the boat" thing has run its course lol

Matt Campbell is the PJ Fleck that everyone thought they were getting with PJ Fleck

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I also heard he's pretty weird.. Like in the recruiting process with the kids. I guess when recruiting Jirehl Brock he locked the door and had an hour glass and was giving him that long of time to make his decision.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk and Dandy

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
UMN paid $50k to WKU for "row the boat". It's too bad they seem to be rowing the wrong way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sota-fleck-wmu-reach-deal-on-slogan/97957786/

I live in MSP but don't pay huge attention to UMN sports. All I can say is, the guy is a clown and I would venture that most sports fans up here view him that way. His catchphrases and other nonsense don't go very far when you're not winning. My opinion is the guy is totally engrossed in himself and his "row the boat" culture and cares little for much else.

That being said, he's only entering year 3 (they were 5-7 year 1 and 7-6 year two) and Campbell is year 4. Fleck had the big win against Wisky last year in Madison and I think that fired a lot of people up. I don't think UMN had won over there since like 1994 so it was a big win for the program. There's optimism around the program, but people don't pay that much attention to UMN anyway. When you're competing against the Vikings and Twins, and even the Wild, college football draws a very, very small following. In 4 years of living here I think I've met one season ticket holder for Gopher football.

It will be interesting to see how he does this year. I'm guessing his ******** wears on people pretty fast because all he does is talk in cliches.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So glad we chose Campbell over PJ

I do not think Pollard and Fleck, along with all the other major, important personalities of the various programs (Prohm, Fennelly, etc.) would have worked out well together.

FIFY (even though you were being sarcastic)

public-pillow-fight-on-international-pillow-fight-day.jpg

To be fair, it is better than it was for awhile there.

Illinois is hot garbage.
Iowa goes 8-4 or 9-3 like the rising of the sun.
Minnesota won 9 games as recently as 2016.
Nebraska is not back to the 1990s but does not entirely suck anymore.
Northwestern might be the most underrated CFB program in the country.
Purdue is way more feisty now than they were a few years ago with Jeff Brohm.
Wisconsin has had legitimately Top 10 teams lately.

Illinois is lucky Kansas is a thing the same way Alabama is lucky about Mississippi.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
2018 was a weird season for Gopher football. Started out okay in NC and than tanked out starting Big 10 play by giving up 42, 48, 30, 53, 31 and 55 points. Shocking amount of points in a league not known for scoring by the bucketful. Fired the DC and than went to give up only 10, 24, 15 and 10 to end the season against Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech. It was the damnist turnaround I've seen. Something was definitely broken on the defense.

No real excuse for the Gophers to not succeed with the right coach. Big city, new stadium, uber upgraded facilities, currently the weak division of the Big 10, etc. Is Fleck the right coach? Beats me but think we'll know more this year. Iowa like schedule for 2019 with no Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State. They did draw Penn State but it's in Mpls as are the Wisconsin and Nebraska games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron