Minnesota & Fleck

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, there is talk on the Iowa boards that he is fairly "aggressive" when trying to get kids to commit which leads to a larger number of decommits it seems.

Iowa has gotten 4 decommits from Minnesota in Phil Fleck's tenure alone.
Not a good look when it's the coach's weird tendencies that cause kids to decommit.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Do we know that's why?
Oh no I'm saying that I do know that there's been stories about him being a weird guy and has weird recruiting tactics. Not 100% sure if the reason for some kids decommitting were because of those things though.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm not saying that what Iowa State has done in the last two years is unreal or anything but it's much more than what Minnesota has done. Iowa State has 5 ranked victories, two of them against top 5 teams, 1 against a top 10 team. We've also been ranked for a total of 5 weeks the past two years and were also in the hunt for the Big 12 championship game in November. Minnesota's only conference wins the past two years have been against Illinois, Nebraska 2 years ago, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin (who were okay last year). They then beat an average Georgia Tech team. PJ Fleck is going to have to take down a couple of the big boys before they are talked about as a threat in the West.
didn't he inherit a bowl winning team, also? I know there's more to it than that, but the state of the programs were a bit different as well.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm not saying that what Iowa State has done in the last two years is unreal or anything but it's much more than what Minnesota has done. Iowa State has 5 ranked victories, two of them against top 5 teams, 1 against a top 10 team. We've also been ranked for a total of 5 weeks the past two years and were also in the hunt for the Big 12 championship game in November. Minnesota's only conference wins the past two years have been against Illinois, Nebraska 2 years ago, Indiana, Purdue, and Wisconsin (who were okay last year). They then beat an average Georgia Tech team. PJ Fleck is going to have to take down a couple of the big boys before they are talked about as a threat in the West.

This is exactly why it's put up or shut up this year for Fleck. With their weak schedule this year they need to contend for the West or it just isn't going to happen.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not a good look when it's the coach's weird tendencies that cause kids to decommit.

Kids aren't decomitting because Fleck is weird, they are decomitting because he really pressure kids for a verbal. Don't get too hung up on how he recruits, Iowa fans bad moth Fleck like crazy because he has a different style that doesn't fit the "right Way" mold. The guy has gotten some talent there, now they need show real improvement.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It isn't like we have anything to stand on regarding success, two 8 win seasons is huge to us but on the outside its hardly a blip. My only interaction with goofers is online fans, some come off extremely arrogant/condescending towards ISU based on nothing but the attitude that MSP is a big city and Ames is just podunk central.
I have relatives who are Gophers fans - I agree with this.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
The word from guys that have been on recruiting trips to Minnesota is that, at the end of the visit, Fleck pulls them into a room and REALLY presses for a commitment, often without parents present. In some cases, guys have given them a "yeah whatever" type of commitment, knowing they can then back out if/when something better comes along. The result is that they have had a lot of decommits. According to 247, they had an amazing 13 in the 2017 class, although that was probably due to coaching transition and fairly common as they were probably the previous staff's recruits. But they've had 8 in each of Fleck's classes (2018 and 2019) as well, which is pretty high.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Kids aren't decomitting because Fleck is weird, they are decomitting because he really pressure kids for a verbal. Don't get too hung up on how he recruits, Iowa fans bad moth Fleck like crazy because he has a different style that doesn't fit the "right Way" mold. The guy has gotten some talent there, now they need show real improvement.
Yeah I didn't necessarily mean weird tendencies I should've put weird recruiting tactics but I guess that wouldn't mean kids would be decommitting it'd mean they wouldn't be committing at all. However I do fully agree that this is Fleck's year to prove he's legit. Third year in with a schedule that lines up perfectly for some success. I would say there are 6 games you should sharpie in a W. To be what he says he is and why he was brought in there though, he's going to have to snag an extra win or two; @ Iowa, Nebraska, @ Purdue, Wisconsin, @ Northwestern, Penn State. None of those teams listed are going to be unbelievable this year either, so getting one win from that list should not be impossible.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
didn't he inherit a bowl winning team, also? I know there's more to it than that, but the state of the programs were a bit different as well.
While that is true, he did come in on the heels of the rape case at Minnesota, which led to a lot of turnover and divide of players. If Tracy Claeys was only judged on what happened on the field, Fleck would not be there.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
It was a wild turnaround and it was actually pretty similar to when Heacock decided to try 3 safeties.

Also, I agree. We'll know more this year. He's less salesman and more coach than Basement Brew but that's a pretty low standard.
I'm in the Twin Cities, and, since the day he was hired, I've referred to him as "Son of Brewster" and "PT (as in Barnum) Fleck". I'd rank him right there with Brewster when it comes to slinging the BS, but, to his credit, Fleck has actually showed some success as a head coach (@ WMU). Brewster didn't have that.

While I can't imagine how a recruit or his parents can fall for the ELITE BS he spews, he does alright recruiting. If he's successful, he won't be at the U of M for long, as he's not a stick-around type of guy. I wouldn't want to have to listen to him, either...

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think most of you are ignoring what Minnesota looked like after Fleck dumped his d-coordinator Smith last year and replaced him with Rossi. The last four games were pretty impressive...
They beat a 6-7 spotty Purdue team, lost to a pretty good Northwestern team, beat an 8-5 Wisconsin team which was the game they benched Hornibrook finally (threw 3 terrible interceptions), and then they beat a very one dimensional 7-6 Georgia Tech team who just lost their head coach.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

This. They also bad mouth our recruiting as too aggressive in offerings so I don't really give a crap what Hawk fan impressions are.

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
I think most of you are ignoring what Minnesota looked like after Fleck dumped his d-coordinator Smith last year and replaced him with Rossi. The last four games were pretty impressive...

I believe they will make a big step up this year. His recruiting has been good, his recruits are rising up to the two deeps, he has two young quarterbacks, and his defense should be really solid with Winfield returning. Definitely a program looking to challenge for a championship game appearance going forward and one that I believe is on the cusp of good things.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
While that is true, he did come in on the heels of the rape case at Minnesota, which led to a lot of turnover and divide of players. If Tracy Claeys was only judged on what happened on the field, Fleck would not be there.

It was a mess.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, I knew there was some **** that happened in the end of that "era", didn't want to speculate so I just stated what I knew lol.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
...against unanked teams.