SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cykick

Aug 13, 2015
THANK YOU to all those who responded to this thread... I appreciate it!

For those who felt it stimulating but couldn't respond with positive intent I appreciate you the most. It seems that this forum has people that are awesome at belittling and enjoy the attention they get when doing so...so let me give you some of the attention you need and are seeking. If it makes you feel good to be a jerk, please continue to do so, your life must be a bowl full of cherries. I can only imagine your lives as you awake each morning worried about how others may frame a sentence or spell a word. The animus by some is a bit confusing. I noticed that those who have responded less than complimentary have a history of doing so through out their membership of Cyclonefanatic.

As I posted this thread, I inadvertently posted it prior to editing it. I don't understand the vitriol directed towards the thread. But regardless of the free speech you are allowed in this great land, I can only ask that those of you that are crumpy all through your day, to try to see you are worthy and that you do have value. GO CLONES

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

For those who felt it stimulating but couldn't respond with positive intent I appreciate you the most. It seems that this forum has people that are awesome at belittling and enjoy the attention they get when doing so...so let me give you some of the attention you need and are seeking. If it makes you feel good to be a jerk, please continue to do so, your life must be a bowl full of cherries. I can only imagine your lives as you awake each morning worried about how others may frame a sentence or spell a word. The animus by some is a bit confusing. I noticed that those who have responded less than complimentary have a history of doing so through out their membership of Cyclonefanatic.

As I posted this thread, I inadvertently posted it prior to editing it. I don't understand the vitriol directed towards the thread. But regardless of the free speech you are allowed in this great land, I can only ask that those of you that are crumpy all through your day, to try to see you are worthy and that you do have value. GO CLONES
Don't take it so personally. If you make a mistake, have fun with it along with everyone else. Pretty much everyone who posted a jab at you for your mistake has taken a ribbing for errors in their posting in the past. I didn't say anything in your thread about a mistake, but I have in the past poked fun at dumb mistakes. I have also taken **** about my dumb mistakes and have made fun along. It is a lot more fun than getting huffy about it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So, my bunch of friends were chatting on Facebook and we had a interesting discussion as to who would fare better should Coach Ferentz were to be at ISU at Coach Campbell were to be at Iowa?
The consensus ended up to be the talent levels at each school were not marketable different but the change of coaching win/ loss record could be.
The question begs to be asked.... Which Coach would have a better record after the switch?
Looking forward to hearing your perspective(s) and answers!
( the post was sent ( accidently) prior to final editing for those with too much time on their hands to worry about such things)
stop

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So, my bunch of friends were chatting on Facebook and we had a interesting discussion as to who would fare better should Coach Ferentz were to be at ISU at Coach Campbell were to be at Iowa?
The consensus ended up to be the talent levels at each school were not marketable different but the change of coaching win/ loss record could be.
The question begs to be asked.... Which Coach would have a better record after the switch?
Looking forward to hearing your perspective(s) and answers!
( the post was sent ( accidently) prior to final editing for those with too much time on their hands to worry about such things)

giphy.gif

• Dislike
Reactions: cykick

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

***WALL OF TEXT INCOMING***

First things first, relax. Any post on this site that features a typo or grammatical error is instantly roasted. Period.
Secondly, ANY topic related to the hoks is a loaded topic. It is going to get a spirited response. Some people, and rightly so, will instantly assume it's a troll thread, especially if they don't know the poster. And we also really don't like Iowa. Period.
Thirdly, some people are sick of off season hypothetical questions. Nothing personal, but as the summer goes on without real sports, people get antsy.
Fourthly, and yes I'm being somewhat facetious with my response, I can see how the trade you propose could be considered inlfamitory to some ISU fans. You are proposing that we would send quite possibly the best coach to ever coach at ISU to our hated rival, and in return we would get Ferentz, a coach who has had great success, and is respected, but many ISU fans have grown to hate the man because of who he coaches for.

Now, to actually answer your question. I actually think it's an interesting topic and fun to think about, even though I don't like the results.
My first response to this thread above sums up how I felt when I read your hypothetical. Vomit. This sounds like the worst trade imaginable for ISU. Trade an up and coming superstar coach for a guy who is a few years from retirement and is as stale as the gum he chews every game.
However, if we are in a bizarro world where the jobs were actually reversed, I would have to agree with most of the responses in this thread. Campbell would do quite well with an established program and the talent that is currently at Iowa. I think as soon as next year he would try to bring in a much more dynamic QB, but the well established OL and DL plays right into his base strategy. He would likely be more aggressive than Kirk and I think he could push Iowa past where Kirk has been able to, at least on a consistent basis. Iowa has taken advantage of a weak division to have some great records, but is generally a 9 win team at best most years. Campbell would also be able to excite an Iowa fan base that seems to have gotten a bit complacent lately. They like the consistent success with Ferentz, but they seem a bit bored. I think CMC could win the B1G and make a few playoff appearances at Iowa, as I hope he will have similar success at ISU. The road is harder in the Big12 when you play the entire conference annually and don't get easier seasons with division play. That's just a fact. One that ISU themselves took full advantage of during their Big12 North days. McCarney should have had a few Big12 title game appearances if he didn't crap the bed. But I digress.

Kirk on the other hand I believe is too old to build a program again. He was able to revitalize Iowa when Fry left, but he did not have to actually revamp the program. It was established, just down, and it took him a few years to really rebound. A HUGE part of Campbell's success at ISU so far has been an injection of excitement into the fans and program. Kirk does not inspire that. He was pretty much perfect taking over for Old Raisin Face Fry, but he does not have the charisma to match CMC.
As for talent specifically, and scheme, I think Ferentz could get a decent amount out of the current ISU roster. However, he seems to prefer game managers at QB, and the OL, while improving, is probably not to the level where you could employ the 3 yards and a cloud of dust Big10 style that KF still seems to enjoy. And if he were able to run his currently playbook at ISU, I'm not sure how successful it would be in the Big12. Many will say that the Big12 doesn't play defense, but there's been some ridiculous offenses to contend with. I think KF would have a harder time controlling the clock and grinding out a lower scoring game against the Big12 than he does against Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, and the other lower level B1G teams.
It would also be harder for Kirk to maintain his talent level at ISU than it is at Iowa. Iowa is established as a TE and OL factory. Kirk gets a ton of well earned respect for that, but it is also synonymous with the program there now because of this. ISU quite simply has to work harder to get recruits than KF does right now at Iowa. That's what coaching at a high level for 20 years at one program will do. Your system in established, you know what kind of guys you want and you know where to find them. They also know what your program is known for and if they think they fit, they sign up. At ISU KF would have to reestablish his program identity and convincing kids to come play for him, without the longevity at the program, would be harder. KF wouldn't be able to slow play recruits like he does at Iowa if he were to start over at ISU.

All in all this is a very interesting topic, and I enjoyed it. I would hate the results of this kind of switch though. ISU would take a step back and I'm not sure KF has the energy to succeed consistently at ISU before he would eventually retire. And I know Brian Ferentz would be terrible at ISU because he wouldn't have his dads success to piggy back on. And he's a ****.

I am very glad CMC is where he's at right now, that's for sure. I think he could succeed anywhere, but one of his strong suits is building a program and the excitement needed to do so.

Now that I think about it, another interesting facet of this kind of switch would be its effect on the respective fan bases. Cyclone fans LOVE that CMC and his staff are all over social media and constantly selling the new and revitalized ISU brand. KF and his aversion to twitter would be a huge 180 from that momentum. ISU needs to keep constant energy to build the fan base and sell itself to future generations of football fans. KFs personality and presence works at Iowa because there are 4 generations of Iowa fans who are fiercely loyal. They don't need to be sold, however I think this hurts their position with younger fans and is part of the complacency in the Iowa program currently.

CMC on the other hand might actually tick off older Iowa fans, because his constant selling of the program does not relate to people who have cheered for Fry and KF for 40 years. It would however be a huge boon for the social media presence of Iowa football. Younger generations of Iowa fans and potential Iowa fans would love seeing their staff all over twitter and going after recruits that Iowa hasn't gone after before. It would literally not be your fathers Iowa program with a coach like CMC.

(Please note, this is my amateur opinion of KF, and his preferred style. I generally don't watch Iowa outside of the CyHawk game. Maybe Kirk 2.0 is different than I remember from when I was in college, but I doubt the difference is that noticeable.)

Reactions: cykick

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron