Level the playing field in HS athletics

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Someone I work with his wife recruited for Wahlert. They had a "we will see what we can do for you" policy if you were good at a sport. We know kids at Regina in Iowa city going tuition free. None of them are there for STEM or any other academic reason. They had a kid on the football team staying with a host family there is no way he could pay 5000+ a semester for Regina. Someone paid his fees or they waived them-

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If I sent my kids to a Catholic HS, no way in hell Id want my tuition subsidizing a good athlete who can afford to pay it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Honest question, I don't know the answer, do the private school spend any of their resources educating at risk and special needs children? I'm sure for the DSM school system this is quite a financial expenditure. I know two teachers personally, they do outstanding work, in often difficult and emotional circumstances.

My HS didn't have a special needs program other than what classroom teachers could handle on their own. We didn't have the resources or expertise to handle students with severe disabilities. Students with behavior issues rarely got accepted, and two were kicked out over my four years there. This is a problem overall because public schools are required to take the most "expensive" kids, regardless of issues. Just look at the special "title" teachers in poor schools vs rich schools.

I had one kid in a private school and sent my second for Kindergarten. He had a raft of special needs for which he had to be bused to a nearby public school each day. We were debating pulling him out the next year and just sending him to that public school when we had a meeting with the assistant principal. She said that "perhaps this isn't the right school" for our son. It was pretty clear that she didn't want him there. The rest of the school was pretty cool with some special needs students but this dirtbag Asst Principal was pushing him out. We didn't make a fuss because we thought it was probably best for him to not be wasting part of his school day taking a bus between schools. But in the end, the answer was a resounding "no" for us, the private school was not prepared to provide any special help for our son. I didn't feel bad for the public school providing the services though, because my understanding is that even though he wasn't there the whole day, in the count for funding he was in the count of students as a full day, five day a week student for a kid that was there maybe 4-6 hours a week.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and cyhiphopp

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
An additional note on special needs services. There is a law (I don't know if it is Federal or Minnesota) that the student must get their services during their regular school day. I would really like an option to waive this by the parents. In my son's case the private school had a very early start time. The school where he got his services started over an hour later and got out over 90 minutes later than the private school. If he could have gotten his services at the end of the public school's regular school day he could have gotten his services while still missing little or none of his regular school's instruction. If we had that option we might have looked a lot harder at keeping him in the private school. It was all the wasted time riding a bus and missing out on regular instruction that was a problem for us.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I had one kid in a private school and sent my second for Kindergarten. He had a raft of special needs for which he had to be bused to a nearby public school each day. We were debating pulling him out the next year and just sending him to that public school when we had a meeting with the assistant principal. She said that "perhaps this isn't the right school" for our son. It was pretty clear that she didn't want him there. The rest of the school was pretty cool with some special needs students but this dirtbag Asst Principal was pushing him out. We didn't make a fuss because we thought it was probably best for him to not be wasting part of his school day taking a bus between schools. But in the end, the answer was a resounding "no" for us, the private school was not prepared to provide any special help for our son. I didn't feel bad for the public school providing the services though, because my understanding is that even though he wasn't there the whole day, in the count for funding he was in the count of students as a full day, five day a week student for a kid that was there maybe 4-6 hours a week.

That just sucks. I can understand advising you one way because they just aren't equipped to help your son, but literally pushing him out is reprehensible.

It seems pretty crappy that private schools don't have any resources to help with special education. Sure some of those kids are going to lower your schools test scores and academic reputation, but they are still kids who need help. Seems terrible to push them out rather than try to help them, especially when some of these schools have the funds to do much more.

I have a nephew who is on the spectrum. He currently goes to a private elementary school. Luckily he is high functioning, but I think he could use some help down the road. Hopefully my brother and his wife are able to do what's best for him and not get a raw deal from their current school choice.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That just sucks. I can understand advising you one way because they just aren't equipped to help your son, but literally pushing him out is reprehensible.

It seems pretty crappy that private schools don't have any resources to help with special education. Sure some of those kids are going to lower your schools test scores and academic reputation, but they are still kids who need help. Seems terrible to push them out rather than try to help them, especially when some of these schools have the funds to do much more.

I have a nephew who is on the spectrum. He currently goes to a private elementary school. Luckily he is high functioning, but I think he could use some help down the road. Hopefully my brother and his wife are able to do what's best for him and not get a raw deal from their current school choice.
Frankly, I had no qualms about the public school providing the special services. We pay taxes just like everyone else, we just didn't partake in all of the other regular school services the taxes helped fund. We paid extra to get it elsewhere. So I don't know why anyone should be upset that we got it from the public school.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll say it for the umpteenth time...

100% of Catholic schools recruit 100% of their students 100% of the time.

As to the multiplier; yes, do it. It's totally fair.
Here is Minnesota, especially when kids are going from middle to high school but also when they are going from elementary to middle school there is quite a bit of public school recruiting going on as well. My daughter had quite a few public schools trying to get her in addition to the private schools.

Also, Royce White was at DeLaSalle (Catholic) as a freshman and finished his career at Hopkins (public). There were issues leading to him leaving DeLaSalle, but it wasn't an accident that he ended up at Hopkins.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
marketing is not recruiting. unless you also think open enrolling to a different district is recruiting.

Not to veer too far off topic but open enrollment makes no sense to me. How can a school that under performs academically or athletically not be put into a death spiral by open enrollment?

I'll hang up and listen.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Here is Minnesota, especially when kids are going from middle to high school but also when they are going from elementary to middle school there is quite a bit of public school recruiting going on as well. My daughter had quite a few public schools trying to get her in addition to the private schools.

Also, Royce White was at DeLaSalle (Catholic) as a freshman and finished his career at Hopkins (public). There were issues leading to him leaving DeLaSalle, but it wasn't an accident that he ended up at Hopkins.

John Den Hartog still the football coach at Hopkins? He was my HS coach at Waterloo West. What an insufferable full of himself prick....

I can't imagine how the kids that didn't play much felt about him....

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
It makes a ton of sense to me. Otherwise the only way to get a kid out of a really low performing school is to move, and a lot of people just can't afford that.

what makes it low performing? Because let's get down to it - people in Iowa don't open enroll into minority-majority schools. If the upper-middle class white students stay at the school it suddenly stops being so "low performing", doesn't it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It makes a ton of sense to me. Otherwise the only way to get a kid out of a really low performing school is to move, and a lot of people just can't afford that.
Sure, but what about the kids that get left behind? Seems to me the school should be fixed rather than left to rot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
John Den Hartog still the football coach at Hopkins? He was my HS coach at Waterloo West. What an insufferable full of himself prick....

I can't imagine how the kids that didn't play much felt about him....
Everything I see says that DenHartog is still HC. I don't know anyone personally who plays/played there, though.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron