Muskie fishing in Iowa?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just got back from a week on the Chippewa Flowage. A lot of activity, but ultimately a frustrating trip. I had five follows to the boat, but not a single strike. I had a couple of aggressive 4lb walleye hit a crankbait, but no musky.

Anyone had luck anywhere in Iowa this spring?

How was the water level? I'm following the Jump River (trib of the Chippewa) conditions and need to get up that way before the summer's over.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
How was the water level? I'm following the Jump River (trib of the Chippewa) conditions and need to get up that way before the summer's over.
Water was as high as I can remember. A lot of areas that are typically exposed or very shallow were passable with a boat. Hard to say how that was affecting the fishing. Like I said, I had five follows in six days of fishing, which is really good. But also no strikes. I did see a 43" fish get boated.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
ya big spirit has a lot of good muskie fishing all of the iowa great lakes do, if im not mistaken the state record was taken up there

When I lived in the Iowa Great Lakes region, and this was many years ago, Big Spirit was THE muskie lake in Iowa. However, the fisheries guys up there always told me they tried to keep the muskies and pike in Big Spirit and not in the other lakes because the muskies and pike liked to eat the other fish, especially the walleyes, which is what West Lake Okoboji is known for. Center lake used to be known for it's crappie and bream. The other smaller lakes around there have a mix of bullheads, catfish and bream.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Iowa State record is 50 pounds, 6 ounces - Spirit Lake, Dickinson County, September 2000 - Kevin Cardwell, Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Just for fun, I saw the specimen collected from the Skunk River, near Ames in Story County 1892, in Iowa State Collection. It was over 40 inches.

I hooked one by accident at Greene Iowa and have family who fish Harper's Ferry on the Mississippi for Muskies.

Good info source for Iowa by DNR: https://www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing/Iowa-Fish-Species/Fish-Details/SpeciesCode/MUE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa State record is 50 pounds, 6 ounces - Spirit Lake, Dickinson County, September 2000 - Kevin Cardwell, Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Just for fun, I saw the specimen collected from the Skunk River, near Ames in Story County 1892, in Iowa State Collection. It was over 40 inches.

I hooked one by accident at Greene Iowa and have family who fish Harper's Ferry on the Mississippi for Muskies.

Good info source for Iowa by DNR: https://www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing/Iowa-Fish-Species/Fish-Details/SpeciesCode/MUE

I was there once at Pleasant Creek probably 20 years ago when they stocked a bunch of muskies and I kept catching 12 inch musky in the shallows.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron