THT Going into the Draft

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Good opportunity for him with Lakers trading away so many players. If he makes the big show, needs to stay on the good side of James; or it may be finding a new team.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lindell and Talen should have come back.

Haliburton and Nixon as 3&D-PG guys
Wigginton and Horton-Tucker as "get buckets" guys
Jacobson plays the 1 in the 4/1 from last year

Solomon and Conditt off the bench as big men
+ one more guard (Leech? Jackson?) fills in for the guards
Mix between 1-2 big men, not just four-guards 100% of the time

...and win a lot of basketball games.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
THT slid but ends up in a spot where they need guys. I don't think he will play this year but can definitely seeing him being signed to a two way contract.

• Funny
Reactions: NoCreativity

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

I don't think we can say they should or shouldn't have gone because it is a personal decision. If their only goal was for sure to be a first rounder or for sure to be drafted than maybe you can say they shouldn't have but if their goal is to be a professional player than they made the right decision for them regardless of draft. they can always go back to school but they have a limited amount of time to make money from playing basketball. And if you aren't in school you can focus full time on your profession.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Im surprised you haven't done an in depth analysis on former draft picks. I looked casually at the last 7 or 8 drafts at the guys picked in the 40-50 range. Its littered with guys who never played a game in the NBA, were in the G-league, or were sent overseas.

Every now and then I came across a guy who actually started some games and averaged 10 points or so, but I would realistically expect his ceiling to be coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game and averaging 3 points. Not exactly something I would leave after my freshman year with no guaranteed money for.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Im surprised you haven't done an in depth analysis on former draft picks. I looked casually at the last 7 or 8 drafts at the guys picked in the 40-50 range. Its littered with guys who never played a game in the NBA, were in the G-league, or were sent overseas.

Every now and then I came across a guy who actually started some games and averaged 10 points or so, but I would realistically expect his ceiling to be coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game and averaging 3 points. Not exactly something I would leave after my freshman year with no guaranteed money for.

Who cares what you would do?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Who cares what you would do?

they have a limited amount of time to make money from playing basketball

He's 19, you act like he has a window of a year to make money. Vince Carter is 42 and still playing, lots of players have a career into their late 30's. They will make more money playing basketball during this "limited time" than most people on this board make their entire lives.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

And you probably come from a place of privilege. So what you would do is not relevant.

It’s harder to make it when drafted in the second round but it does happen. Hell Iowa State has two guys that managed it off the top of my head. Hornacek 35 years ago did it and had a very successful career. Monte is doing it right now.

Selfishly I wish THT and Wiggs would have stayed. Only because it is fun to have 4 year guys.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He's 19, you act like he has a window of a year to make money. Vince Carter is 42 and still playing, lots of players have a career into their late 30's. They will make more money playing basketball during this "limited time" than most people on this board make their entire lives.

But a lot don’t make it that long. You say second rounders don’t make it into the nba but at the same time you argue they’ll play until they are 40. You can’t make one generalization and then dismiss another.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

No. I said nothing about a year. Try again. But even if the window was only a year, say he suffered some horrible injury after one year. At least he got the money while he could and he can go back to school.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
We need to stop with this. Unless you know the future, and if you do please fill me in on the Powerball, we cannot know what they should have done. We only know what was done.

Not really. If you have the slightest hint of basketball knowledge it was obvious THT wasn't first round talent and Lindell wouldn't be getting drafted.

Not complaining though. I for one will be happy to watch a more team oriented brand of basketball with their departures.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
But a lot don’t make it that long. You say second rounders don’t make it into the nba but at the same time you argue they’ll play until they are 40. You can’t make one generalization and then dismiss another.

You do realize that even those players on 2-way contracts will make more in a year than alot of people on this board will make in 10 years right? These are the guys who appear in 15 games and average 3 points a game, not Lebron.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Nobody, myself included, thought Wigginton was going to get drafted this year.

A LOT of people, I'm assuming who have a lot more basketball knowledge than me, had THT in the first round until like last week. Don't rewrite history.

Did you actually watch the games this year? Anybody could have predicted this. You think guys that get benched in their tourney game because they were playing so poorly end up being first round picks on a regular basis?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron