Job Interview FUBARs

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Family member interviewed with HyVee a few weeks ago for an IT position. She's a non-traditional student and a recent grad and is struggling to find a job. She meets at HyVee HQ and felt like the interview went really well. She's finally feeling good about getting an offer. She shakes hands with the interviewers, thanks them for their time, turns and WHAM! walks right into the glass wall of the conference room. They say "Don't worry, it happens all the time." She did not get a call back.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
We were interviewing engineering candidates with 3-5 years experience.

Question: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Answer: "Sitting on the beach, counting fat stacks of cash from my left to my right."

Then he just sat there with no expression. I'm guessing he knew he wasn't going to get the job before saying that but you couldn't even bother to finish it out strong?

• Winner
Reactions: mramseyISU

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Can we talk about how worthless a cover letter is?

I talked to the Chief Financial Officer at my work about cover letters. He said he doesn't read them. I have a feeling most people don't read them anymore.

I have a generic one that I use that goes over my experience at my past companies. All I do is change a couple of words, like job title/position and company and attach it to the application. I only add one if they ask for a cover letter.

Reactions: isutrevman

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I talked to the Chief Financial Officer at my work about cover letters. He said he doesn't read them. I have a feeling most people don't read them anymore.

I have a generic one that I use that goes over my experience at my past companies. All I do is change a couple of words, like job title/position and company and attach it to the application. I only add one if they ask for a cover letter.

The problem is that a decent size company won't have Joe CFO screening resumes and cover letters, it will be HR and they are probably getting an assist from some software... so in other words, if you didn't do a good job tailoring your CL and using the proper buzz letters you might not even get a phone interview.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That's nothing. How about applying for a job online and having to fill in all the fields for previous jobs, contact info, education, references, etc. then at the end attach a resume that has ALL OF THAT INFORMATION ON IT.

LOL Don't even get me started! Seriously, applying for a job is exhausting and more work than it really needs to be.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It is still illegal under federal law. While it does not seem to be enforced at the moment, I'm sure there are a lot of insurance underwriters who would look hard at the companies adjusting their policies.

My utility in Spokane where pot is legal still tests everyone. We have a heavy DOT presence with line trucks and pipeline building, but they still include us office pukes. Many companies out here have expressly said pot use is not an issue anymore - maybe because of their inability to attract talent with the low unemployment...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I am digging the thread!

I finished my interview an hour or so ago. I feel like it went very well. Luckily every question I was asked I had a good example to share. This first interview with the hiring manager was a lot of the behavioral type stuff.

Also helped that I was aware of some of the challenges the group is facing, based on RESEARCH I had done before going in. Very important, seems to always pay off. Even if you aren't directly asked a question about it, you can tie in your answers to their real world.

Panel interviews next, pretty sure I will get a call.

Interviewed with Cargill back in the early 90s. Nailing the interview, had chemistry with the interviewer until about half-way through he said, do you know if there is a Cargill facility near you? I said not that I'm aware of. Then he listed about 5 within an hours drive. Flop sweat ensued and my dreams of being a financial analyst for Cargill were dashed.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
My utility in Spokane where pot is legal still tests everyone. We have a heavy DOT presence with line trucks and pipeline building, but they still include us office pukes. Many companies out here have expressly said pot use is not an issue anymore - maybe because of their inability to attract talent with the low unemployment...

I'm curious about this, and it might be an interesting separate thread. If you're not using dangerous equipment or something that is going to get your or someone else injured, is pot use an issue?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Can we talk about how worthless a cover letter is?

When I left the USAF for the job market in the 1990s we still used cover letters. My USAF job was airborne russian linguist which I featured prominently. It resulted in several interviews where they said they just wanted to meet me. Had a few dates, but nothing worked out long-term. :)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's nothing. How about applying for a job online and having to fill in all the fields for previous jobs, contact info, education, references, etc. then at the end attach a resume that has ALL OF THAT INFORMATION ON IT.
For the longest time we had a devil of a time getting the people we needed. And a big part of it was that our system was unwieldy and unreliable. You could spend 45 minutes creating your application in the system only to have it crash right before you submitted it. Then - you guessed it - you had to start from scratch when you got back into it. I had people tell me that when applying for a promotion they had tried to submit an application as many as 3 times with crashes before finally running the gauntlet successfully. And then we wondered why our applicant pool was crap. Good people who have other options aren't going to put up with that baloney. I'll admit that my thought would be if this is how it goes now, how screwed up will I find that organization when I am working there every day? I have to admit that it probably did reflect a little too close to the truth...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I left the USAF for the job market in the 1990s we still used cover letters. My USAF job was airborne russian linguist which I featured prominently. It resulted in several interviews where they said they just wanted to meet me. Had a few dates, but nothing worked out long-term. :)
"Spasibo"

"Gesundheit"

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm curious about this, and it might be an interesting separate thread. If you're not using dangerous equipment or something that is going to get your or someone else injured, is pot use an issue?

We're at 2-3% testing positive (craft and at-will) in our random program. That number doesn't seem concerning but our company used to be run by Mormons. I really think we'll see a more liberal approach in the years ahead while trying to maintain our stuffy utility image.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
When I was interviewing 8 years ago, there was one question everyone asked. "If you had a disagreement with a co-worker, how would you handle it?"

L

LincolnWay187

Do we get a thread for job interviewer fubar because i have seen some crap situations during my interviews before. I once had a freaking fire drill during the middle of one then a surprise timed excel test after...waste of time... Not to mention phone screeners where the HR person simply forgot about me before.

I could also give a few examples of just complete unprofessionalism but I figure idiots in those scenarios weed themselves out as prospective employers.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We were interviewing candidates, and I happened to show up late. I walked into the room, and my three owners were in with the interviewee. Sweat was visibly running down his face. I introduced myself, shook his hand, and said, "Boy, it looks like they've really been grilling you."

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have a job interview today for the first time in like 12 years. It's a vertical move to a better role and I am pretty excited about it. But, it is my first interview in like 12 years. I have had other moves during that time, but they were always within the same group and the interviews were nothing more than a formality.

I talk in front of people all the time, give large presentations and can BS with the best of them. But, for some reason I have some nerves today.

I like to face my fears, so...what is the biggest interview FUBAR you have ever been witness to?

I was interviewing someone for a position via the phone a couple of years ago. The lady was at home and warned me I might hear her kids in the background. About 10 or 15mins in I hear one of her kids screaming and carrying on. She politely says "Sorry about that, can I step away for a moment?" Of course I told her.

At this point the mild-mannered, soft spoken professional I had been interviewing goes into a screeching fit "SHUT UP! I AM ON THE DAMN PHONE! MOMMY TOLD YOU THAT YOU HAD TO BE QUIET!!!!"

I am assuming she thought she had put her phone on mute or something, but it was directly into my ear. She then came back with her normal tone like nothing happened and continued.

I was holding back laughter on mute on my end. She didn't end up getting the job, but it wasn't because of the chaos during the interview.
Best advice I can give. Don't give the impression it's make or break, or that you're hard up. Be confident, answer questions thoughtfully, and give yourself ample time to think about your answers.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Watched a candidate for a position that would be in charge of coordinating the secondary ed program for history majors. During her teaching demo, she got her phone out and texted someone while teaching along.

She was considering it a practice interview for somewhere better. Our job market was a little different in 2010-2011. You don't try that game right now.

I had an Ops manager pull me into an interview. She was really excited about a candidate and wanted my thoughts.

I sit down and start to make small talk. The other manager then reaches DEEP into her very large bra to grab her cell phone. She left the room and took the call.

The candidate and I just sat there in complete disbelief.