Job Interview FUBARs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Walden4Prez, Jun 20, 2019.

1. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +14,539 / 215 / -1
    In a former job I hired a ton of front line employees. I encountered a few applicants who chose to leave when drug testing was mentioned and more that never showed up for testing when contingently offered.

I had one guy who failed to show up for an interview, gave us a sob story about why he couldn't make it and then failed to show up for a rescheduled interview. He then proceeded to go ballistic when we told him we would not be rescheduling again. Neither time did he even bother to call to let us know before the interview or even call in to let us know what happened the same day.

2. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +14,539 / 215 / -1
    It is still illegal under federal law. While it does not seem to be enforced at the moment, I'm sure there are a lot of insurance underwriters who would look hard at the companies adjusting their policies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kchacker

kchacker Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +758 / 24 / -1
    Also a pet peeve of mine, this caused my group a lot of wasted time at one of my jobs. It also led to a pretty ugly interview situation once.

I don't recall where the candidate was from, but she had a degree in English from MIT. This was for a software development position. One of our interviewers was pretty tough on candidates regardless, but this one got a little out of hand. The candidate had a bit on her resume about software, but it wasn't much and it never would have made it past screening with actual software people doing it. It didn't take long into the technical interview to realize this person had next to zero programming experience. We had already done a lot of crappy interviews and were getting burned out. I realized it was time to cut the interview off, but the tough interviewer was frustrated with the entire process and started hammering the candidate with questions he knew she couldn't answer. After lots of questions and lots of stammering, the candidate was on the verge of tears. The tough interviewer finally says, in a rather unpleasant tone, "what makes you think you are in any way qualified to do this job?" She ran out of the room bawling. I got up to go walk her out and apologize, but I took my time. She must have taken the stairs because I never saw her again.

We did eventually hire someone for the position. I was a groomsman in his wedding quite a few years later.

4. cyclone101

cyclone101 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Dez Moinz
    Ratings:
    +3,760 / 323 / -22
    Man, I've never thought of myself as an interview wiz but some of these stories are making me feel pretty good about myself!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +15,609 / 402 / -1
    We had a guy call in from the hospital the day of his drug test to say he couldn’t make it due to a hospital stay. He ended up admitting that he had OD’d on a masking agent and that is what was wrong with him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +1,391 / 20 / -0
    Yeah, I learned that it's very complex. Any company can decide to accept someone who tests positive. It's not against the law to hire someone who tested positive. However, insurance companies will not insure companies who disregard a positive test. So it becomes a very burdensome financial issue even if a company doesn't care if you smoke pot.

7. kchacker

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +758 / 24 / -1
    We had one guy come in for an interview and he reeked of pot, like he had just been hotboxing in his car five minutes before walking in. My manager and I were doing the interview and the manager smelled it as well. Before we walked in, my manager says we shouldn't even do the interview. I tell him, c'mon, let's have a little fun. We're already here.

So we start the interview. We're doing simple situational awareness questions and dude has a bit of the giggles. One of his answers contained the word "specific", which he couldn't pronounce. He said the word "pacific" three or four times in its place. He finally gives up, saying out loud "I can't say that word!", then he laid his head down on the desk while continuing to laugh at himself. My manager had enough and ended it there. Too bad, it was just getting good.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. LeaningCy

LeaningCy Active Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -0
    We were interviewing engineering candidates with 3-5 years experience.

Question: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Answer: "Sitting on the beach, counting fat stacks of cash from my left to my right."

Then he just sat there with no expression. I'm guessing he knew he wasn't going to get the job before saying that but you couldn't even bother to finish it out strong?

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +5,449 / 277 / -7
    I've done the same things. I pulled 10-ish generic interview questions and bullet-pointed some major achievements in my career to point out team-work, self-starting, whatever buzzwords apply these days than practice spontaneously reciting my canned answer including spaces for levity if I read the panel right.

Interviewing is a real skill and you need to practice.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Ratings:
    +3,418 / 183 / -0
    My favorite-- in an interview for a microbiologist position, I asked a recent grad from southern Arkansas what she was most proud of, and without missing a beat-- "I still have all my teeth."

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +24,718 / 846 / -10
    Watched a candidate for a position that would be in charge of coordinating the secondary ed program for history majors. During her teaching demo, she got her phone out and texted someone while teaching along.

She was considering it a practice interview for somewhere better. Our job market was a little different in 2010-2011. You don't try that game right now.

12. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +15,043 / 969 / -1
    Not a job interview, but I have definitely had my cats introduce themselves to people on the other end of the line (colleagues, clients, etc.) when working from home.

"As you can see here on Form 233--MEEOWWW!!!!!"

13. Walden4Prez

Walden4Prez Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +679 / 58 / -2
    I am digging the thread!

I finished my interview an hour or so ago. I feel like it went very well. Luckily every question I was asked I had a good example to share. This first interview with the hiring manager was a lot of the behavioral type stuff.

Also helped that I was aware of some of the challenges the group is facing, based on RESEARCH I had done before going in. Very important, seems to always pay off. Even if you aren't directly asked a question about it, you can tie in your answers to their real world.

Panel interviews next, pretty sure I will get a call.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Ratings:
    +139 / 4 / -0

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. TedKumsher

TedKumsher Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Male
    Network Consultant
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +250 / 4 / -0
    6d109fc4e8c6809676ff75b3f44c935b.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. dosry5

dosry5 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +1,946 / 68 / -4
    Need more details. Was his collar popped?

17. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +8,767 / 307 / -0
    Was he wearing a Kinnick shirt?

18. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +8,767 / 307 / -0
    Can we talk about how worthless a cover letter is?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +5,987 / 160 / -0
    Not really a fubar but after being laid off from my personal employer I was having some trouble getting interviews which can happen when one company puts over 600 plus people on the job market in one day. Finally got one through a friend of a friend and I show up late but really put a damn side out by the road. I am sure I am far from the first person to drive by that road confused why the GPS is telling them they have arrived. Called them to apologize and get some help finding the place. Get greeted by the head of HR and a couple other guys.The HR guy is wearing a ball cap and t-shirt. Interview didn't take very long and just left a weird feeling with me.

At least how the story was told to me was that it was my job until they had interviewed someone else that was basically overqualified and asking for next to no money they day before so they had already made their decision and the interview with me was more or less just because it was already scheduled.

20. kchacker

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +758 / 24 / -1
    It was in KC. Probably a Jayhawk.

• Like Like x 1