80-35 exits closed in Des Moines

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I saw on Sunday at 8:00pm many of the exits on 80-35 in Des Moines are closed for construction. Does anyone know what is going on? I was driving to work today and noticed a bunch of them in a row that are going to be closed and it just seemed odd to me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Theyve been closing a bunch of offramps around des moines area the last couple weeks. I think it looked like they were repainting the lines\arrows and whatnot when i drove by it when they closed the oralabor offramps, but not sure.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I saw on Sunday at 8:00pm many of the exits on 80-35 in Des Moines are closed for construction. Does anyone know what is going on? I was driving to work today and noticed a bunch of them in a row that are going to be closed and it just seemed odd to me.

They've been closing them overnight for maintenance stuff.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
OVERNIGHT closures before everyone freaks out

I haven’t been up there in a couple of months, but Minneapolis was an absolute mess the last time I was. TONS of construction on 35 heading into the city, and this was ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

Makes “overnight” sound rosey.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
1st street (Ankeny I-35) will either be completely closed or mostly closed next year for a new interchange:

https://www.snyder-associates.com/2...interchange-at-i-35east-1st-street-in-ankeny/

Looks like the 2nd street way into ankeny will be getting work next year too, as well as NE14th
https://iowadot.gov/program_management/interactivemap

Though it looks like we'll finally get NE14th widened to 4 lanes, which might make it a better alternative for some coming into ankeny

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The closed ramps off of 86th St (Urbandale/Johnston) are due to widening as they are adding a new right lane to the Interstate to accommodate traffic coming off off 86th, entering the interstate, and then wanting to immediately take the new exit ramp to get onto 100th (and visa versa).

At least that is my observation from driving by that area often. We'll see if I'm correct when completed.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Painting lines makes sense. Just thought it was odd that a bunch of them were closing all at the same time. The 86th street exit is a whole different animal.

Related topic, is it just me or did the road line paint change a while ago? It seems that it used to be a more reflective paint that was better at night, in the rain, and especially in both. Now it is really hard to see in the rain at night.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Painting lines makes sense. Just thought it was odd that a bunch of them were closing all at the same time. The 86th street exit is a whole different animal.

Related topic, is it just me or did the road line paint change a while ago? It seems that it used to be a more reflective paint that was better at night, in the rain, and especially in both. Now it is really hard to see in the rain at night.

You might just be getting older.

• Funny
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Looks like the 2nd street way into ankeny will be getting work next year too, as well as NE14th

Though it looks like we'll finally get NE14th widened to 4 lanes, which might make it a better alternative for some coming into ankeny
That work on 2nd street started a few weeks ago. Right now it seems like they're working on/replacing the bridges over 66th Ave

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
There is a bunch of construction going on between 86th and Douglas exits due to the rider corner (Hwy 141) flyover project. They are adding on/off ramps at Meredith on the south side, they have occasional closures around the 141 exit at night if they have to move cranes around like they just did this past Monday night, and they are adding lanes between 86th and 100th so a lot going on in that area especially.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That work on 2nd street started a few weeks ago. Right now it seems like they're working on/replacing the bridges over 66th Ave

I think that's a different project.

The project on 2nd right now is removing the bridge over 66th ave and making it an at-grade intersection

• Informative
Reactions: Bader

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I haven’t been up there in a couple of months, but Minneapolis was an absolute mess the last time I was. TONS of construction on 35 heading into the city, and this was ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

Makes “overnight” sound rosey.
Yeah we have had weekends where certain stretches of interstate up here are closed from late Friday to early Monday. It's gross.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

The amount of road construction in Ankeny right now is crazy. Trying to get to my house has been a shot in the dark lately.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The amount of road construction in Ankeny right now is crazy. Trying to get to my house has been a shot in the dark lately.

Yeah, i know the feeling. Ankeny blvd near me has become a mess due to the increased traffic from people avoiding 2nd, and then the construction at shurfine and ankeny has ankeny backed up through the oralabor intersection at times. Can be damn near impossible to leave the neighborhood during evening rush hour.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Yeah, i know the feeling. Ankeny blvd near me has become a mess due to the increased traffic from people avoiding 2nd, and then the construction at shurfine and ankeny has ankeny backed up through the oralabor intersection at times. Can be damn near impossible to leave the neighborhood during evening rush hour.

We’ve got state street closed up at 18th, east bound west 1st street at Irvinedale closed and some turnoffs into my neighborhood on Irvinedale closed.

At least Irvinedale opened up the Friday before 1st street closed. That has been a two year process.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I just don't think they paint them often enough.

Help Support Us

Become a patron