3-Point Line Moved Back

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will this mean two 3pt lines on the court again for men and women?

So far I think that's a yes. They should probably move the WBB line back to. I think the men's and women's are the same in FIBA. WNBA is at the international and now NCAA men's distance. So we have international men/women, men's NCAA and WNBA all the same if I am following this correctly. Outliers being NBA (I get that), high school (I get that) and NCAA women (not sure I get that).

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
With all the years of the blue blood schools complaining about teams that shoot lots of 3s, all i can think is that this might work in their favor.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
So far I think that's a yes. They should probably move the WBB line back to. I think the men's and women's are the same in FIBA. WNBA is at the international and now NCAA men's distance. So we have international men/women, men's NCAA and WNBA all the same if I am following this correctly. Outliers being NBA (I get that), high school (I get that) and NCAA women (not sure I get that).
I just hate two lines on the court.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
International ball = metric measurements.

6.75m = 22' 1.75"

tenor.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They need to fix jump balls. Instead of alternate possession, do it like the NBA does and make the two tied up players jump for it. Makes for less incentive for guys to just try to tie up offensive players to get the ball back.

I don't like this rule. First, what's wrong with trying to tie someone up? That's just defense. Second, why should the size of the people who are tied up have a bearing of the outcome? At that point, why not make the two of them race to half court or something if you are going to put priority on one physical attribute?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't like this rule. First, what's wrong with trying to tie someone up? That's just defense. Second, why should the size of the people who are tied up have a bearing of the outcome? At that point, why not make the two of them race to half court or something if you are going to put priority on one physical attribute?
Yeah, why do we try to make basketball more and more a game about the abnormally tall?

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Agreed.

My biggest issue with tieups right now is how inconsistent the calls seem to be. Sometimes it seems like there has to be an eternity of dual possession to get a tieup call, other times a fraction of a second, and a lot of times the player getting the tieup clearly fouls in the process, and it goes uncalled.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Agreed.

My biggest issue with tieups right now is how inconsistent the calls seem to be. Sometimes it seems like there has to be an eternity of dual possession to get a tieup call, other times a fraction of a second, and a lot of times the player getting the ieup clearly fouls in the process, and it goes uncalled.

I would agree that dual possession seems to have morphed into "hey look, my hand was on the ball." I'd love to see them require a more sustained period of time where they both have possession.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agreed.

My biggest issue with tieups right now is how inconsistent the calls seem to be. Sometimes it seems like there has to be an eternity of dual possession to get a tieup call, other times a fraction of a second, and a lot of times the player getting the ieup clearly fouls in the process, and it goes uncalled.
And why do all of the foul rules go out the window as soon as there is a loose ball on the floor? At no other time would you be able to get away with jumping on an opposing player, but if there is a loose ball, you can jump right on a guy trying to get it and there is rarely - if ever - a call.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
One new rule change I'd like to see is the hand signal for charging. Needs to be replaced with something that doesn't make a ref feel like he's punching out Ivan Drago amidst a roaring crowd.

Or just ban charges ;)

• Useful
Reactions: allfourcy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One new rule change I'd like to see is the hand signal for charging. Needs to be replaced with something that doesn't make a ref feel like he's punching out Ivan Drago amidst a roaring crowd.

Or just ban charges ;)
Charges are banned. That is why you see players getting rung up for personal fouls for charging.

;)

Seriously, though. When I first started playing basketball the signal for a charge was the referee bending his elbow and placing his hand behind his head.

• Funny
Reactions: JeanValette

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Would assume so...haven't seen any chatter on the ladies side. While a foot and change difference doesn't seem like much, it is going to drop percentages at least a couple of percent.
They moved the line back 12 inches after the '08 season and the 3pt% only dropped 0.8%. I'd expect this 16 inch change to drop it maybe 1.0-1.2%.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They moved the line back 12 inches after the '08 season and the 3pt% only dropped 0.8%. I'd expect this 16 inch change to drop it maybe 1.0-1.2%.
I agree. However it will be interesting to see if this results in more difficulty adjusting for young players from high school to NCAA 3 pt. line.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Too bad they can't do something about the clearly intentional fouls in the final minutes of the game. Like make them an automatic flagrant.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I wasn't trying to emphasize that if you're tall you should be rewarded. The tieup to me has always come off as a bit of a cop out of the defense, and half the time it should be called as a foul anyway and isn't. So it rewards mediocre defense.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017

Or just ban charges ;)
I saw Jay Bilas propose something like this not that long ago. It's a great idea. Don't give the refs incentive to show off and you likely won't see it called nearly as much.

Help Support Us

Become a patron