Football cant get here soon enough

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Or like the Big 12 was before teams left? Ok but not every team in the Big 12 is awesome every year like some think around here.

I'm talking about having a year when many teams are having a down year including OU or UT and the OOC games work out.

Last season's schedule was actually really favorable if ISU were better with KSU, BU, TT, OSU and TCU really not being very good.
Also getting the top teams at home and the poor teams on the road when you have a great team can help to get that stellar result. By the same token, when you have a marginal team and you are just trying to get bowl eligible having the reverse (great teams on road and poor teams at home) can be helpful.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have to agree on the “swap Baylor and Texas” theme. Among other things, if the the ISU and Baylor offenses are a wash, Baylor’s defense is horrible, and ours...isn’t.

I also think we have a better shot at Texas—and maybe even OU—than most people seem to think.

It’s a bad game. Bye weeks are nice when everyone is worn down as the season goes on and to pick up focus again. Having it after the UNI game is just a waste.
The way that I was looking at it, the staff has an extra week to prepare. Which not only means having more film of Iowa, but putting in their own additions to the playbook that no one has seen yet.

Which you can do with a veteran quarterback and team.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
It’s a bad game. Bye weeks are nice when everyone is worn down as the season goes on and to pick up focus again. Having it after the UNI game is just a waste.

Just an FYI, there is another bye week on November 2. Right before they play a tough two game stretch against Oklahoma and Texas.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Or like the Big 12 was before teams left? Ok but not every team in the Big 12 is awesome every year like some think around here.

I'm talking about having a year when many teams are having a down year including OU or UT and the OOC games work out.

Last season's schedule was actually really favorable if ISU were better with KSU, BU, TT, OSU and TCU really not being very good.
I still look back on that TCU game as a what if they had made the switch to BP .....no way they lose that game with Brock in the game.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

In the current form of the Big 12 find me a year when a schedule would have been "favorable". Any given year you are going to play the top teams in your league, can the same be said about the ACC, B1G, SEC, Pac 12?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just an FYI, there is another bye week on November 2. Right before they play a tough two game stretch against Oklahoma and Texas.

I think every team has 2 bye weeks this year due to the way the calendar fell.

cyfan10

Dec 18, 2014
Agree on the maybe switching Tex and BU as far as W/L. If I was putting money on it, I would probably lean 8 win season. But going through game by game (with my cardinal and gold glasses and a cup of kool-aid) hard to pick the 4 losses. Would rather expect 7 wins and get 10 than expect 10 and get 7.

Reactions: KneeGusto

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In the current form of the Big 12 find me a year when a schedule would have been "favorable". Any given year you are going to play the top teams in your league, can the same be said about the ACC, B1G, SEC, Pac 12?

1. Last year. Half the league was .500ish teams, a decent Texas team and a very good OU team. ISU was pretty decent, but with a better team (and better scheme early on), may have done something more.

2. I'm aware of the other conferences being in divisions and in a perfect world we'd figure out how to make a bunch of conferences with 10 teams each. But people act like the Big 12 didn't used to be divisions with ISU getting to avoid OU and Texas every 2 years.

Reactions: Aclone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
1. Last year. Half the league was .500ish teams, a decent Texas team and a very good OU team. ISU was pretty decent, but with a better team (and better scheme early on), may have done something more.

2. I'm aware of the other conferences being in divisions and in a perfect world we'd figure out how to make a bunch of conferences with 10 teams each. But people act like the Big 12 didn't used to be divisions with ISU getting to avoid OU and Texas every 2 years.

Texas was better than decent. They finished the year at #9 in the AP poll.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

Really the only difference for us is that some years we get 5 conference home games and the next year we just get 4.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron