Football cant get here soon enough

cyfan10

Dec 18, 2014
First time poster, sorry in advance for the long post, but Cyclone TV has been replaying games from last year lately and it is getting me more and more excited for the season. Possibly the most hyped season in program history (that I can remember)! I know we are a ways out yet, but what is everyone's predictions? Wins/losses, breakout players, surprise impact guys (The Mike Rose of '19), most electric atmosphere this year and everything else! There is not much going on this time of year and I'm ready to talk some football!

I have clones at 10-2 (7-2). Definitely wearing my cardinal and gold glasses, but I think this team has a high ceiling this year and with Campbell, unlike past coaches, I think the floor is also higher. Not as many bad losses and finding a way to win the close ones. A few games that could go either way that for now I'm going to lean clones because why not.

UNI - W (First game of the year after a long off season, JTS will be rocking)
TOE - W (ISU by 2 possessions. Think we match up well against them and Campbell is due)
ULM - W (Yeah)
@BU - L (Will be another dog fight. Giving it to BU just because of location)
TCU - W (Another game that could be close, but will take the good guys in JTS)
@WV - W (Another game could go either way. I think ISU outmatches WVU plus new coach factor)
@TT - W (Could be close but leaning ISU)
OSU - W (Will be a dog fight like the previous couple years but I'm a Cyclone fan so...)
@OU - L (For first time in a long time I dont think this game is an automatic L, but think Clones come up short)
TX - W (Picturing this game makes me think of 2011 OSU game. Cold November night in Ames and electric atmosphere with the addition of playing for a spot in the conference championship game. Will be fun)
KU - W (Duh)
@KSU - W (The losing streak has been snapped and time for ISU to take control of the series)

Excited to see what Brock Purdy can do with an off season to grow. His ability to extend plays and run the RPO is something Iowa State hasn't had in a QB for a while. An off season to better learn the system, get stronger, build chemistry and get in the film room will be big for him. Also will be interesting to see what we can get out of the O-line. We finally are starting to get depth to push the starters and maybe even pass them on the depth chart. And even though he isn't the OL coach, having Manning back definitely cant hurt that group. Will be interesting to see who steps up for the RB's and WR's. Both those positions dont have that "proven" guy yet but the depth makes me think they can be good. TE's may be the position I am most excited about. Will be fun to see how they utilize those guys in the passing game.

The defense will hopefully be good as advertised. Bailey, Lima and Enyi have the potential to be the best front in the league. The depth behind them is great too. IMO Johnson and Leo could be starters at G5 schools and even some other P5's. At linebacker if McDonald is good enough to get the nod at Sam I think that says a lot about what he can do and will be fun to watch! DB's will be tough to replace Peavy and Payne but Johnson and Young both got meaningful reps last year and played well for the most part. An off season of development for those 2 young guys will be big.

As far as newcomers I am excited for:
Offense: Obviously Hall. Joseph Scates is a guy I cant wait to see on the field, assuming the off the field stuff is cleaned up. Also excited to see some of the young O-line guys. Sounds like some of those young guys are already making a push for spots. Having Manning back is big time. Sounds like there is a lot of energy in the offensive room with him back.
Defense: McDonald. If he becomes the guy at Sam I think that says a lot about his freak ability and would also be fun seeing how he is used. If you add McDonald coming off the edge on blitzes to Enyi and Bailey that could be dangerous. Another name I am anxious to hear more about once he gets to campus is Isheem Young. Guy looks like a big powerful dude and obviously before the troubles was good enough to draw the attention of the big dogs.

Games I am excited for:
Obviously the Iowa game will be big, but not the biggest. Always an electric atmosphere and potentially a battle of 2 top 25 teams, but still a non-con game with no impact on potential Big 12 championship game implications. Sure would be nice to shut the guys to the east up though. That being said, the game I am most hyped for is Texas in November. If Iowa State plays to their potential up to this point and avoid injury, that game could be for a trip to Arlington, for a Big 12 championship. Although it would be a cold one, a night game in November with that much meaning would be wild! I still get chills thinking about 2011 when Iowa State tied it up with Okie State and the song "Sandstorm" came on and you could feel the stadium shake as people bounced around. That and the phone flashlights lighting up the stadium against WVU last season. Cant wait.

Obviously early summer predictions (especially from a fan) are irrelevant and a lot can change, but all in all pretty excited for the season and needed to talk some football! Love to hear everybody's thoughts. Heres to the '19 season. Go Clones!

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
First time poster, sorry in advance for the long post, but Cyclone TV has been replaying games from last year lately and it is getting me more and more excited for the season. Possibly the most hyped season in program history (that I can remember)! I know we are a ways out yet, but what is everyone's predictions? Wins/losses, breakout players, surprise impact guys (The Mike Rose of '19), most electric atmosphere this year and everything else! There is not much going on this time of year and I'm ready to talk some football!

I have clones at 10-2 (7-2). Definitely wearing my cardinal and gold glasses, but I think this team has a high ceiling this year and with Campbell, unlike past coaches, I think the floor is also higher. Not as many bad losses and finding a way to win the close ones. A few games that could go either way that for now I'm going to lean clones because why not.

TOE - W (ISU by 2 possessions. Think we match up well against them and Campbell is due)
ULM - W (Yeah)
@WV - W (Another game could go either way. I think ISU outmatches WVU plus new coach factor)
OSU - W (Will be a dog fight like the previous couple years but I'm a Cyclone fan so...)
@OU - L (For first time in a long time I dont think this game is an automatic L, but think Clones come up short)
TX - W (Picturing this game makes me think of 2011 OSU game. Cold November night in Ames and electric atmosphere with the addition of playing for a spot in the conference championship game. Will be fun)
KU - W (Duh)
@KSU - W (The losing streak has been snapped and time for ISU to take control of the series)

Excited to see what Brock Purdy can do with an off season to grow. His ability to extend plays and run the RPO is something Iowa State hasn't had in a QB for a while. An off season to better learn the system, get stronger, build chemistry and get in the film room will be big for him. Also will be interesting to see what we can get out of the O-line. We finally are starting to get depth to push the starters and maybe even pass them on the depth chart. And even though he isn't the OL coach, having Manning back definitely cant hurt that group. Will be interesting to see who steps up for the RB's and WR's. Both those positions dont have that "proven" guy yet but the depth makes me think they can be good. TE's may be the position I am most excited about. Will be fun to see how they utilize those guys in the passing game.

The defense will hopefully be good as advertised. Bailey, Lima and Enyi have the potential to be the best front in the league. The depth behind them is great too. IMO Johnson and Leo could be starters at G5 schools and even some other P5's. At linebacker if McDonald is good enough to get the nod at Sam I think that says a lot about what he can do and will be fun to watch! DB's will be tough to replace Peavy and Payne but Johnson and Young both got meaningful reps last year and played well for the most part. An off season of development for those 2 young guys will be big.

Offense: Obviously Hall. Joseph Scates is a guy I cant wait to see on the field, assuming the off the field stuff is cleaned up. Also excited to see some of the young O-line guys. Sounds like some of those young guys are already making a push for spots. Having Manning back is big time. Sounds like there is a lot of energy in the offensive room with him back.
Defense: McDonald. If he becomes the guy at Sam I think that says a lot about his freak ability and would also be fun seeing how he is used. If you add McDonald coming off the edge on blitzes to Enyi and Bailey that could be dangerous. Another name I am anxious to hear more about once he gets to campus is Isheem Young. Guy looks like a big powerful dude and obviously before the troubles was good enough to draw the attention of the big dogs.

Games I am excited for:
Obviously the Iowa game will be big, but not the biggest. Always an electric atmosphere and potentially a battle of 2 top 25 teams, but still a non-con game with no impact on potential Big 12 championship game implications. Sure would be nice to shut the guys to the east up though. That being said, the game I am most hyped for is Texas in November. If Iowa State plays to their potential up to this point and avoid injury, that game could be for a trip to Arlington, for a Big 12 championship. Although it would be a cold one, a night game in November with that much meaning would be wild! I still get chills thinking about 2011 when Iowa State tied it up with Okie State and the song "Sandstorm" came on and you could feel the stadium shake as people bounced around. That and the phone flashlights lighting up the stadium against WVU last season. Cant wait.

Obviously early summer predictions (especially from a fan) are irrelevant and a lot can change, but all in all pretty excited for the season and needed to talk some football! Love to hear everybody's thoughts. Heres to the '19 season. Go Clones!

This is a hype tape for a forum and I like it!

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
We need to hope for winter weather when UT comes to town. We NEVER get them that late in the season. We need a Vikings advantage (the old days at the Met).
Maybe, but the Cyclones struggled against Drake on a cold day in 2018. Maybe a temp between 35 and 40 would do it. Could be a night game if both teams are in B12 hunt.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
We need to hope for winter weather when UT comes to town. We NEVER get them that late in the season. We need a Vikings advantage (the old days at the Met).
I'll never forget the game against them JG stripped the ball at the goal line to win the game and the officials took that win away from us. I was even on the DM register with the king cobra pose I was so upset we got robbed.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
ill have what he having (harry meets sally).gif
giphy.gif

Reactions: NWICY

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Our defense is so fast, big, and physical, we're going to be in every game we play until the end (or win comfortably). It's just going to come down to whether or not we take care of the football and make plays to win games (think 2017 TCU and Oklahoma). A good QB keeps you IN any game and a good running game can seal the deal in games you're ahead.

Good QB-- check
Good run game-- maybe

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

ULM - W (Yeah)
KU - W (Duh)

Games I am excited for:

If true, then probably rematch with OU in the Big 12 title game. Better add that to your predictions...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not joining the 10 win club but I think CMC has the ability to get there some year with the right schedule and getting some breaks (pretty much any team with 10 wins needs a few bounces to go their way).

Holding serve at 7-8 wins which is still great.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm not joining the 10 win club but I think CMC has the ability to get there some year with the right schedule and getting some breaks (pretty much any team with 10 wins needs a few bounces to go their way).

Holding serve at 7-8 wins which is still great.

This isn't the B1G West, the schedule is almost always going to be really a grind. There's no hiding in a true round robin format.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I can't argue with your week to weeks, except swapping Baylor and TX. But I won't go on record picking 10 wins. That has literally never happened for us.

Campbell is also good at slaying demons of Cyclone FB past. So I hope you're right.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This isn't the B1G West, the schedule is almost always going to be really a grind. There's no hiding in a true round robin format.

Or like the Big 12 was before teams left? Ok but not every team in the Big 12 is awesome every year like some think around here.

I'm talking about having a year when many teams are having a down year including OU or UT and the OOC games work out.

Last season's schedule was actually really favorable if ISU were better with KSU, BU, TT, OSU and TCU really not being very good.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82