Brigette C is in!!!!,,,,,,Maegan G,......

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Unfortunately for Megan this is the nature of the business. I know she was great in the NCAA but NCAA Player of the Year does not equal great pro prospect.

Men's Naismith winners since 2010:
Evan Turner - isn't a starter but is getting paid nicely
Jimmer Fredette - short NBA career
Anthony Davis - easily best prospect in last ten years
Trey Burke - switches teams every year
Doug McDermott - had to look up who he even plays for anymore
Frank Kaminsky - nothing of note in Charlotte, 23 total starts in 4 years
Buddy Hield - already switched teams once, not bad but not great either
Frank Mason III - 2 starts in 2 years on a bad Sacramento team
Jalen Brunson - 33rd overall pick and decent rookie year with Dallas
Zion Williamson - tbd but has great potential

Also just her style of play just isn't suited for today's game. The days of the back to basket player are few and far between. Bridget's game is much for suited for the way basketball is going.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Unfortunately for Megan this is the nature of the business. I know she was great in the NCAA but NCAA Player of the Year does not equal great pro prospect.

Men's Naismith winners since 2010:
Evan Turner - isn't a starter but is getting paid nicely
Jimmer Fredette - short NBA career
Anthony Davis - easily best prospect in last ten years
Trey Burke - switches teams every year
Doug McDermott - had to look up who he even plays for anymore
Frank Kaminsky - nothing of note in Charlotte, 23 total starts in 4 years
Buddy Hield - already switched teams once, not bad but not great either
Frank Mason III - 2 starts in 2 years on a bad Sacramento team
Jalen Brunson - 33rd overall pick and decent rookie year with Dallas
Zion Williamson - tbd but has great potential
Buddy hield as not bad but not great? He started all 82 games. Averaged 31.9 minutes per game, and over 20 ppg. Top 30 in the NBA for ppg.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Congrats to Bridget!

As for Gustafson, she was in a tough spot with a roster full of post players taller than her with league experience.

Like I said in my other post, although I believe Goose is a good player, I feel the stats were misleading due to her size and competition she faced. Again, a very good player but in terms of skillset, Carleton is a better player.

And sometimes you it’s also a matter of luck. look at our Alison Lacey who ended up behind Sue Bird and Svetlama Abrosimova at Seattle.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This. I don't see the point in some of the "fans" small mindedness in taking joy at some gal getting waived.

It can also swing the exact opposite way fast. I remember a few years ago Iowa fans acting like they were an NBA machine because they had RDM in the league and several ISU guys were just missing. Now only 3 or 4 years later it's five NBA Cyclones (could be as many as 7 or 8 if you consider guys in the draft and BDJ) to zero Hawkeyes...shows how dumb the argument was back when Iowa fans were making it.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
She going to play in Australia this winter (their summer so there are worse gigs). Don't believe it pays as well as China or some Euro leagues but it's a good start.

Yes, Coach Fen stated on Monday night in Bettendorf that she had already signed to play in Australia in the fall and that was not a conflict with playing in the WNBA because the schedules do not overlap.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: StClone and NWICY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just get some personal satisfaction from this because on some thread on here a while back I stated that if I were a GM in the WNBA I'd take Bridget over Gustafson every time. Nothing against Gustafson at all, I just felt that Bridget's game translated a lot better to the WNBA.

And of course some Hok lovers told me I was just a homer and clueless. All they pointed to were Gustafson's stats, and I swear they probably never seen either girl play ball.

If you watched both of them play, Bridget was just a lot more skilled all around, and most importantly could shoot from distance.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Honest question. Rookie WNBA players make 41k. Is it just to say u played pro? Otherwise it seems like a ton of work and breaking down your body for horrible pay.

Congrats if that’s her dream of playing pro ball though. Good for her
Men's professional sports started that way also. Women have sports dreams too. It has to start somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar and brett108

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Most of them do. For a while Russia was paying really well, not sure if that's still true.

Only the real stars make much. Don't think the Russians pay like they used to and the the best money might be in China but the number of "imports" allowed per team is limited. For the men it's two players per team and they can combine for six quarters/game and only one can play in the 4th quarter. With those restrictions they only want stars who can produce and will cut and replace players very quickly. Assuming it's similar on the gals side but could find much.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and NWICY

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
It's actually $41,965 this year and the top paid player will be making $127,500. Again four months of work in the states closer to family and they still can go make the big cash overseas in the WNBA offseason.
They only play ball 4 months out of the year? No practice, training, video sessions, camps, etc. the rest of the year?!

They are getting paid to do all the above, not just show up to games 4 months out of the year. So no, $41,965 per year is not good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
They only play ball 4 months out of the year? No practice, training, video sessions, camps, etc. the rest of the year?!

They are getting paid to do all the above, not just show up to games 4 months out of the year. So no, $41,965 per year is not good.

Nobody is forcing them to play. $41,000 to do something you love isn't chopped liver.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe