OT - Cutting Cable

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Smart TVs can be slow compared to standalone streaming devices. The processors in the TVs are usually much less powerful than a separate device.
That and the TV is actively rendering the image. Whatever CPU is left over to manage the streams and whatever else they want the app doing is limited by that

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
switched from Vue to Hulu TV. Saves me about $15 a month and the content is similar. I'll miss NFL Network and Redzone but those channels aren't worth 15 bucks imo.

Anyone else make a move to Hulu recently?

Last edited:

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
No idea. Lightning?

My wife found a post on Facebook that talked about it. It sounds like the connection to the transmitter is the problem. I guess they were doing some maintenance on the tower but I'm not sure if that was before the problems or because of them. As of last night there wasn't an ETA on the repairs.

I guess Mediacom isn't affected, so a bonus there if you have them. About the only thing I watch this time of year is the 9:00 news so not a huge loss for me personally.

• Informative
Reactions: mapnerd

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I wanted a mesh wifi system so I bought a 3 pack of slightly used asus google onhubs for $100. They're gigabit routers and supposedly more powerful than the newer google pucks. Onhub is good for 2500sqft/unit where google puck is 1500sqft/unit.$100 sure beats the 259 for the 3 pack of google wifi pucks.

Got them today and had the whole system set up in about 15 minutes. Unbelievably easy. I don't need anything fancier than what I have, I can vpn on my devices if needed. I use to only get wifi in the house and right outside the door. My house sits in the middle of 1/3 of an acre lot. Set up the main wifi hub in the middle of the basement where my utilities are, one upstairs next to the TV and one in the garage. I now can go anywhere in my yard and have full wifi coverage. Freaking awesome. They use the same google wifi app. For anyone thinking about a mesh system, so far, I give google wifi 2 thumbs up.

Reactions: DSMCy and cyfanatic

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Sling TV raising cost of the sports extra add on for Orange to $10. This matches what it costs if you have Blue or Orange + Blue.

They also just added Total TV plan where you can add all 7 extra add-ons plus dvr for $20/mo.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
PS Vue up another $5 a month. Might finally be time for me to switch to Youtube tv.

Hulu has solid sports selection too. DVR sucks though, but you get everything on demand anyways. No NFL network unfortunately. Plus you get all of Hulu's stuff (like every season of Always Sunny)

Reactions: stateofmind

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Sling TV raising cost of the sports extra add on for Orange to $10. This matches what it costs if you have Blue or Orange + Blue.

They also just added Total TV plan where you can add all 7 extra add-ons plus dvr for $20/mo.

My main complaint with Sling so far is the way they do the channel guide. You scroll through the orange, then scroll through the blue, and then maybe the orange + blue? I don't know, but there's duplication between the packages, so you scroll past the same channels a couple times on one pass through (I know you can set favorites). Also, when you scroll down to the bottom, you have to reverse direction and go all the way back through (because it stops at the top and bottom rather than cycling through again).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Directv just called asking me to come back. I said youtube.tv is 1/3rd the price, they didn't even try to offer me anything, said thanks and hung up.

I've never had any luck with DTV when it comes to negotiating a better deal. When I called to cancel my service because I was switching to PSVue they didn't even offer me a dime. I honestly wouldn't have taken it anyways because they effed me on my internet price but still.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Directv just called asking me to come back. I said youtube.tv is 1/3rd the price, they didn't even try to offer me anything, said thanks and hung up.

I jumped onto Directv in 2001. Two years ago, I crossed paths with a guy that could load up every channel I could imagine onto a Amazon Fire TV Stick for $100 a year. We now use two of those throughout the year and STILL have Directv, but it's only active from September-February for football/basketball seasons. March-August, our account is on "vacation/sleep mode". DTV charges us $7 a month to do that, but I'll take that over the $100 a month bill it used to be.