OT - Cutting Cable

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Easy, if you want sports, HuluTV or Youtube.tv. I get all the channels ISU is on with YTTV.

Thanks for the tip. Ideally, I want sports, cyclones most importantly, and do enjoy channels like history, USA, tbs, tnt ect. Don't really care about movie channels. Also, the ability to record and watch later is important.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Definitely thrilled with the switch. Had been paying $162/month, including internet, plus Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon (so really, about $187 or so).

Now, we're paying $45 for Sling Orange & Blue, $15 or $16 for HBO Now, $10 or so for Netflix and $50 for 100 mb internet (total around $120).

Still can't find anything to watch most days (lol), but saving $60+ a month

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Thanks for the tip. Ideally, I want sports, cyclones most importantly, and do enjoy channels like history, USA, tbs, tnt ect. Don't really care about movie channels. Also, the ability to record and watch later is important.

I haven't done a lot of research lately...but I did before making the jump to streaming tv in Feb 2018. I settled on YTTV and haven't regretted it one bit! I was nervous going into it...but the experience has been a positive one. The only thing that might cause me to leave YTTV would be if a competitor arises that is a lot cheaper than the $50 a month that I now pay and still provides similar networks and services (which doesn't seem likely).

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Definitely thrilled with the switch. Had been paying $162/month, including internet, plus Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon (so really, about $187 or so).

Now, we're paying $45 for Sling Orange & Blue, $15 or $16 for HBO Now, $10 or so for Netflix and $50 for 100 mb internet (total around $120).

Still can't find anything to watch most days (lol), but saving $60+ a month

What all comes with the Sling Orange and Blue? How is it connected/set up ect? Can you record shows on it?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What all comes with the Sling Orange and Blue? How is it connected/set up ect? Can you record shows on it?

Quite a bit: https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-3-y-1

We went for an extra $5 for the Cloud DVR (I think it's 50 hours). Had a Roku Premiere + already, and added another one plus two OTA antennas for a little over $200. It's nice that I now own my "cable" boxes rather than rent them forever into eternity too.

Set up is really easy. Set up an email and password on their site when you sign up. Have your Roku or other device connected to the internet. Download the Sling app, sign in and go immediately.

Edit- on some of their specials, you can choose a basic Roku as well (free) or an OTA antenna. We went for the $15 off/month for the first three months, as I wanted a better antenna and a Roku like we already had.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Can't record ESPN / Disney stations on DVR on Sling. I was able to wait until games were over and find them on-demand on ESPN3 and watch. Not as convenient as having them on DVR but they do edit out half-time and commercials are shorter so it cut basketball games down to 1-1/2 hrs...

I just cut out the sports pack ($10/month) and Sling Orange ($15/month) since I do not need the ESPN stations until September. That is one of the big reasons that I like Sling is that I have the option to trim channels to get price down to $35/month for Sling Blue + 4 pack of add-ons.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I haven't done a lot of research lately...but I did before making the jump to streaming tv in Feb 2018. I settled on YTTV and haven't regretted it one bit! I was nervous going into it...but the experience has been a positive one. The only thing that might cause me to leave YTTV would be if a competitor arises that is a lot cheaper than the $50 a month that I now pay and still provides similar networks and services (which doesn't seem likely).

Same, I left all the directv wiring in place in my basement. I just tore it out this past week. Quality of YTTV is perfect, and the cloud DVR is fantastic, I am never going back.

• Agree

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Currently have the same set up. Would love to get ride of YTTV and Philo to just do hulu live but the UI, the dvr limitations and pausing/ff on hulu have prevented me from doing so.
I'm thinking of getting rid of Philo now that YTTV has added Discovery. About the only thing I need it for now is Ice Road Truckers! I like the Viacom channels but could live without them. I like to throw on Nick at Nite or TV Land in the evening and zone out. But with YTTV DVR I can rack up all those shows on there and accomplish the same thing.

I haven't done a lot of research lately...but I did before making the jump to streaming tv in Feb 2018. I settled on YTTV and haven't regretted it one bit! I was nervous going into it...but the experience has been a positive one.
Me too. I was firmly in the PS Vue court but they kind of forced my hand to look for another option and I have been very pleased. Simple, responsive interface, unlimited DVR. YouTubeTV has won me over.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Had PS Vue for a while and really liked it. But we temporarily own homes in two different states and they wanted me to have separate accounts for each. Nope. Switched to YTTV and have been very happy with it.

Between YTTV, Netflix, Prime, Hulu and I also signed up for Philo for Viacom channels, I'm probably not saving that much money. But I've got way more flexibility and control and I'm still glad I cut the cord.

You can use the same PsVue account at different locations. You can stream up to 5 devices at the same time no matter where you are at. I set my parents up with PsVue because they have a house in Iowa and Arizona. They do not need different accounts. Just an fyi

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
You can use the same PsVue account at different locations. You can stream up to 5 devices at the same time no matter where you are at. I set my parents up with PsVue because they have a house in Iowa and Arizona. They do not need different accounts. Just an fyi

Agree, but they may have to change home location settings on the PSVue if they are at a location for more than a month.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Agree, but they may have to change home location settings on the PSVue if they are at a location for more than a month.

PsVue has it set up so that if you select a home location you get an additional streaming device, I think 6, and if you do not set up a home device you only get 5. For them they will never stream more than 2 devices at a time, so it was better not to designate a home location.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Interesting. When I turned it on at my Colorado house I got an error message that I was outside my home viewing area and would not be able to use the service. I called them and asked if I could use in both areas with one account and was told absolutely not.

Perhaps I got bad information at the time, but I'm happy I switched either way.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've been very happy with PS Vue for about 2.5 years now. Although they do keep raising their prices (I pay $49.99 normally and then add the $10 sportspack during FB season). I like their on-demand and DVR functions. Does YTTV have good DVR capabilities?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I've been very happy with PS Vue for about 2.5 years now. Although they do keep raising their prices (I pay $49.99 normally and then add the $10 sportspack during FB season). I like their on-demand and DVR functions. Does YTTV have good DVR capabilities?

YTTV has fanstictic DVR. Actually you really don't need it, it is pretty much just an on demand system with live tv options.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

DVR is unlimited on YTTV...programs remain on your DVR for 9 months. All 6 accounts get the same treatment...

Reactions: cycloneworld

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
6 Streams not accounts, I have 4 tv's and 5 phones all tied to my account. As long as they are all not in use at once we are good.

Just wanted to revisit this and clarify that yes, you essentially do get 6 accounts. With family sharing you can share one membership between 6 accounts where each individual account will have their own personal DVR/history that isn’t shared between accounts:
https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7251139?hl=en

However-You can only have 3 simultaneous streams, so not all 6 of those accounts could watch at the same time, and also considering if you are streaming on three devices under 1 account.

• Agree