Fred

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Let it go people. You do not want Fred coming back to Iowa State. Fred shows no signs of wanting to come back.

It is the same type situation as Lon Kruger and K-State except that Kruger was helped out the door. Replacing the hate and/or love with a little mutual respect is healthier for all concerned.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
People who can't handle a bit of non-serious levity sure are a treat, especially those filled with such self-importance that they must repeat their criticisms. You have a nice day.

It's very difficult to tell what is serious or non-serious these days, especially on a thread like this. My apologies.

Personally, I think that people who do call Fred a traitor and mean it (and there are at least a few) are the ones to really watch out for.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Cue the "What's wrong with both?" gif. Some people like to leave more than one legacy.

So far there us no "legacy" Fred left us. What exactly did he win while here? Legacies usually involve things like conference championships or deep tourney runs. Unless the legacy is getting us to average again?

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So far there us no "legacy" Fred left us. What exactly did he win while here? Legacies usually involve things like conference championships or deep tourney runs. Unless the legacy is getting us to average again?

I think objectively you can call a Sweet 16 run in the tournament a "deep" run.

Reactions: clone34

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Fred's legacy will be taking Nebby to their first NCAA tournament win.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SpokaneCY

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
Don't try and cut down Fred's accomplishments to make yourself feel better. Mcdermott bball nearly killed the Magic. Terrible basketball coaching. Great players but didn't lead to wins. Fred turned it quick and Niangs last two years could have been legit final 4 runs with a focused Fred. Fred had a Huge heart surgery coming up after UAB so it was the Bulls and Surgery that hurt in the UAB tourney. Then coaching change and Prohm did an amazing job of letting that team be what it wanted to be. Maybe that is the beauty of Prohm instead of Forcing a team to play a certain way he lets them play it out as they see fit. Frustrating at times but probably best in the long run. I will always remember after the huge Oklahoma comeback Fred said that he didnt know how many more of those his heart could take. I was legit worried for his health when he said that. Fred didnt even wear a tie that season because of his heart. Maybe it was too much pressure for Fred and his family in Ames.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think objectively you can call a Sweet 16 run in the tournament a "deep" run.

It is at ISU which I think was the point.

If ISU were as elite as some seem to think it is a Sweet Sixteen appearance would be the norm instead of rare.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don't try and cut down Fred's accomplishments to make yourself feel better. Mcdermott bball nearly killed the Magic. Terrible basketball coaching. Great players but didn't lead to wins. Fred turned it quick and Niangs last two years could have been legit final 4 runs with a focused Fred. Fred had a Huge heart surgery coming up after UAB so it was the Bulls and Surgery that hurt in the UAB tourney. Then coaching change and Prohm did an amazing job of letting that team be what it wanted to be. Maybe that is the beauty of Prohm instead of Forcing a team to play a certain way he lets them play it out as they see fit. Frustrating at times but probably best in the long run. I will always remember after the huge Oklahoma comeback Fred said that he didnt know how many more of those his heart could take. I was legit worried for his health when he said that. Fred didnt even wear a tie that season because of his heart. Maybe it was too much pressure for Fred and his family in Ames.

Never watched an NCAA tourney before?

The 'too much pressure in Ames' thing is starting to fade even more since he chose to go to an NBA franchise with a fanbase that has seen their team win 6 titles in 8 seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY