Judge Approves Unusual Plan to Move 900 lb. Man

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's similar to other addictive behaviors like hoarding etc. where there's other things going on that are much deeper than just being needy or careless. A hoarder can clean things out of their place to get rid of the clutter, but soon it all comes back because what caused the 'need' for stuff didn't get resolved.

Per the gastric bypass, etc., I'm in the same vein for juice diets etc. Habits have to be broken, and good ones need to be established for positive long term effects. It's easy to get impatient, but personally I find it way more rewarding to get back to a healthy weight or work to heal back issues with PT over time than a quick fix like just getting adjusted every 3 weeks.

I'm reading some stuff currently about how important it is for people to hold themselves responsible to help themselves and diet, finances etc. are prime examples. It's tricky--the solutions can be really simple (want to save money? Don't spend money on useless stuff.), but can also be really complicated to work through.

Yeah, there's a huge psychological component to these things. I have a family member who has always been a bigger person (not 900 lbs big, but very overweight) his whole life. He insists that "I just can't lose weight, it's just not possible for me." He goes on diets for a week or two, and if he doesn't see huge losses, he gives up. Or, he says "I went for a walk 3 times last week and I didn't lose a frickin' pound." Meanwhile, he's eating out for just about every meal and that includes McDonald's at least once a week.

I'm grateful to not have any addictive tendencies. I'm also glad I learned about nutrition during and after college. My family did not have any understanding of nutrition growing up. I would easily down a 12 pk of Mt. Dew on the average Saturday when I was in grade school and HS. I'd play a baseball game and then down a quart of ice cream. I was young and my body could absorb those things without being overweight, but I still wasted a lot of prime physical years by participating in horrible nutrition.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I don't understand the people that will bring them food while they just lie in bed. I don't even want to think about their bathroom needs

tenor.gif

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
How does that person get to the bathroom? Let alone a shower/bath? I would not want to be a part of the crew that has to do this.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How does that person get to the bathroom? Let alone a shower/bath? I would not want to be a part of the crew that has to do this.

Watch 'My 600-lb Life' sometime and you will get a clear picture of this. Usually, its either some form of sponge bathing (gotta get those crevices clean!) or they have a family member wash them. It's even worse than you can imagine.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If my calculations are correct, you can get to 900# by eating 5000 cals/day for 3 years straight. It's not quite as difficult to get there as I thought.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Watch 'My 600-lb Life' sometime and you will get a clear picture of this. Usually, its either some form of sponge bathing (gotta get those crevices clean!) or they have a family member wash them. It's even worse than you can imagine.

At first blush, a sponge bath sounds kinda sexy...

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
At first blush, a sponge bath sounds kinda sexy...

What if I told you that you would be 900 lbs and your mother would be doing the sponging? Oh, and she has to put baby powder into all your folds because they chafe. And she has to wipe your ass for you because you can't reach that far. And you haven't seen your man parts since 2002.

I know these folks suffer from some form of mental illness. But being 40 years old and having to ask your elderly mother to wipe your ass SHOULD be a pretty strong form of motivation to make some changes in your life.

IaState2021

Apr 19, 2019
If my calculations are correct, you can get to 900# by eating 5000 cals/day for 3 years straight. It's not quite as difficult to get there as I thought.
You burn a lot of those calories off. Unless you are a fat lard that stays in one spot all day. Some Strongman and powerlifters eat that much calories every day but they aren’t fat

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You burn a lot of those calories off. Unless you are a fat lard that stays in one spot all day. Some Strongman and powerlifters eat that much calories every day but they aren’t fat

I also forgot to account for the increase in calories you use as you gain weight.