***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Not necessarily surprised but always amazes me how GMs and these draft guys keep their jobs sometimes. Montgomery is hurt by RB not being a key position anymore. So you can’t complain to much. Butler is the one that I just don’t get. Brown is a different type of receiver so that makes sense. N’Keal Harry seems like a poor mans Butler though. I know people like to brush it off but I really think that there is a bit of the he plays at Iowa State why should we pick him. Butler absolutely should be quick off the board tonight but I’m not real confident.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and ISUKyro

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not necessarily surprised but always amazes me how GMs and these draft guys keep their jobs sometimes. Montgomery is hurt by RB not being a key position anymore. So you can’t complain to much. Butler is the one that I just don’t get. Brown is a different type of receiver so that makes sense. N’Keal Harry seems like a poor mans Butler though. I know people like to brush it off but I really think that there is a bit of the he plays at Iowa State why should we pick him. Butler absolutely should be quick off the board tonight but I’m not real confident.

The NFL is lazy and stupid with evaluations. Butler is 100% going to get dinged for playing here, which doesn’t make sense but happens regardless.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
David will get drafted before Hakeem. There will be a run on wide receivers in the 2nd round. Hakeem will not be one of those. Hakeem will get picked up in the 3rd or 4th round because of sheer value pickup. The NFL doesn't know how to utilize tall wide receivers, so they'll go with what they're comfortable with / what they're used it.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Butler gets dinged for not being quite as quick in and out of breaks compared to a guy like Harry, who projects better as a guy that could slide into the slot as well if needed. He doesn't have the size or top end that Hakeem has, but NFL has been trending heavily toward guys that can run great routes and get out of breaks quickly.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's not laziness, it's a complete lack of confidence. They want a proven track record or some other excuse to rely on in case something doesn't work out. Too afraid to stick their nose out and lose their jobs. People tend to use less thinking and more going with the flow in these large organizations.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Stats:

Total NFL WR taller than 6'3", were drafted, and on active rosters: 10
Total NFL WR taller than 6'4", were drafted, and on active rosters:3

Out of those 3, only one has done anything notable; Mike Evans of Tampa Bay. Who played at Texas A&M

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
You all are crazy.,,it was the 1st round! The top 30 kids! Mostly...you think the player from Alabama state they were thinking uhh oh it’s Alabam state? Well actually they should have there..lol.

Butler will be the next 1-2 WRs taken...He will go in 2nd rd. It is so hard to go in the 1st rd unless you are top QB or one of the top 10 O or D lineman in country or stud TE which is the new thing in the NFL..

WRs are considered a commodity anymore and RBs are a close 2nd.

• Optimistic
Reactions: isutrevman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You all are crazy.,,it was the 1st round! The top 30 kids! Mostly...you think the player from Alabama state they were thinking uhh oh it’s Alabam state? Well actually they should have there..lol.

Butler will be the next 1-2 WRs taken...He will go in 2nd rd. It is so hard to go in the 1st rd unless you are top QB or one of the top 10 O or D lineman in country or stud TE which is the new thing in the NFL..

WRs are considered a commodity anymore and RBs are a close 2nd.

Depends on what teams want out of a WR. I think Butler is the best big play WR on the board (you could maybe make a case for Metcalf, but I don't buy the hype for him), but there are several other good prospects at the position who offer other skills.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It was known to be a defensive draft first rd and it was....Majority of top WRs and RBs always go 2nd and 3rd rd..

The guy who has a legit shot to be a 1st rd pick for isu is Eni...6’6 and 275 lb DE with long arms but he has to stay healthy and if he does the next 2 years he’s got a legit shot at being a first rounder in 2021..

• Agree

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The issue with wide receiver is that there is a group of 10-15 wide receivers that are viewed to be of similar quality and only two have been drafted. Teams will not be in a hurry to pick wide receivers until they are concerned that one of these guys will not be available.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Stats:

Total NFL WR taller than 6'3", were drafted, and on active rosters: 10
Total NFL WR taller than 6'4", were drafted, and on active rosters:3

Out of those 3, only one has done anything notable; Mike Evans of Tampa Bay. Who played at Texas A&M

And yet one school had 2 TE's picked in the top 20. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It was known to be a defensive draft first rd and it was....Majority of top WRs and RBs always go 2nd and 3rd rd..

The guy who has a legit shot to be a 1st rd pick for isu is Eni...6’6 and 275 lb DE with long arms but he has to stay healthy and if he does the next 2 years he’s got a legit shot at being a first rounder in 2021..

Maybe Bailey next year if he has a double digit sack season and the edge rusher pool is shallow. Those guys are always in demand.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The issue with wide receiver is that there is a group of 10-15 wide receivers that are viewed to be of similar quality and only two have been drafted. Teams will not be in a hurry to pick wide receivers until they are concerned that one of these guys will not be available.

Yeah, deep class this year. I have my eye on a few for the Colts but honestly I think they could wait until the fourth round and still get at least one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Butler gets dinged for not being quite as quick in and out of breaks compared to a guy like Harry, who projects better as a guy that could slide into the slot as well if needed. He doesn't have the size or top end that Hakeem has, but NFL has been trending heavily toward guys that can run great routes and get out of breaks quickly.

I agree with this. It will be interesting to see where DK Metcalf is drafted. A lot of people had him as a first round pick, but his skills don't really fit what is typically wanted in the NFL.

• Agree

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree with this. It will be interesting to see where DK Metcalf is drafted. A lot of people had him as a first round pick, but his skills don't really fit what is typically wanted in the NFL.

I've seen a couple mocks with him going to Indy at 34 and I'm hoping that's not the case. I think he was a combine monster but there are plenty of more complete prospects out there, Butler included.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The NFL is lazy and stupid with evaluations. Butler is 100% going to get dinged for playing here, which doesn’t make sense but happens regardless.

Butler isn't going to get dinged for playing at Iowa State. He's going to get dinged for his tendency for drops and his inability to get immediate separation on short route passes.

This is the NFL - no one is "lazy and stupid". And no one is biased against Iowa State....

Going in the second round is a pretty amazing feat - especially for a wide receiver. He'll still likely be in the top 3-4 WR off the board - that's no slight to Butler at all.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron