WBB Recruiting

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Iowa Girls State off to a strong start.

5A started out the day. #1 Johnston comes from 18 down to beat Urbandale.
Valley (Zoe Young MD recruit) beats Iowa City High (Aubrey Joens ISU recruit) in OT.
Dowling (Caitlin Clark) beats Waukee in 3 OT's
Right now SE Polk (Maggie McGraw) in a dogfight with Ankeny Centennial.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Paige Bueckers, most have her as the #1 2020, of Minnesota picked UConn yesterday. I think the locals seemed to think Notre Dame with some holding out hope she would pick the Gophers. With the top PG gone there's likely to be even more blue blood pressure on Clark in Iowa. The other top point guards are from Texas and Washington so not too big of a stretch to think they are going Texas schools and Pac12.

Might have to peek into the GopherHole and see the fan meltdown.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Paige Bueckers, most have her as the #1 2020, of Minnesota picked UConn yesterday. I think the locals seemed to think Notre Dame with some holding out hope she would pick the Gophers. With the top PG gone there's likely to be even more blue blood pressure on Clark in Iowa. The other top point guards are from Texas and Washington so not too big of a stretch to think they are going Texas schools and Pac12.

Might have to peek into the GopherHole and see the fan meltdown.
This will play out in Iowa: Clark will pick The Irish with some thinking she might go to Iowa and locals hoping for an outside chance of her picking Iowa Sate.:)

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It had been noted in articles about Clark that UConn hadn't offered her while pretty much every other major program had. I'm guessing that's because they wanted to send a clear message to Bueckers that she was their top choice. I'm sure UConn would have loved to have Clark otherwise, and they likely would have offered Clark within the past day or two had Bueckers picked a different program.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It had been noted in articles about Clark that UConn hadn't offered her while pretty much every other major program had. I'm guessing that's because they wanted to send a clear message to Bueckers that she was their top choice. I'm sure UConn would have loved to have Clark otherwise, and they likely would have offered Clark within the past day or two had Bueckers picked a different program.

Geno has been on Bueckers for a long time and totally agree with your 2nd sentence, kinda been my thought all along. Based on his and her comments anyone else would have been an upset pick.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bueckers that she was their top choice. I'm sure UConn would have loved to have Clark otherwise, and they likely would have offered Clark within the past day or two had Bueckers picked a different program.

UCONN gets #1 recruit Bueckers with Clark ranked somewhere in the top 4 to 7 spot. So it is pretty much the same story as it has been for the last 20 years. Baylor, UCONN, Stanford and toss a bone to Oregon in the Final Four.

(MBB has come around but for reasons no better. The Blue Bloods get the top talent for the most part but none make it to The Final Four. They leave the school after a season or two and the team suffers from lack of cohesive team play. It is a team sport, where a developing superstar thrown in can have a decisive effect. Thus we have TT, *Michigan State, Virginia and Auburn. Some firsts there though *MState can be called Blue Blood.)

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
While Caitlin Clark would be amazing for ISU, we have a strong core of guards, and Donarski coming in 2020. What ISU NEEDs is a talented 6 3 or 6 4 post player.

That's pretty much every team after you past a handful of top post recruits. ;)

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
While Caitlin Clark would be amazing for ISU, we have a strong core of guards, and Donarski coming in 2020. What ISU NEEDs is a talented 6 3 or 6 4 post player.
Oh so true. It's been the missing link for quite sometime there. Seldom ever do you get a high quality post out of JC but there is one this year down here in Texas at Angelina, JC in Lufkin. She is 6' 4" and is the National JC player of the year. If you saw her play you'd know why. I think she averaged 25 points per game. Natasha Mack. She originally signed with Houston but changed her mind and set out one year then went to Angelina . I don't believe she has committed yet but is being recruited by Oklahoma State, Missouri, Wichita State and at least 3 other schools.

In my opinion she is far superior to Nezerwa and I mean that as no dis-respect to her. But to be blunt I was never quite sure why she was offered at ISU. To my surprise she did provide some decent relief a few times for the Clones this year, actually more than I expected. But Natasha is good enough to move up and be a very solid contributor for somebody.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Oh so true. It's been the missing link for quite sometime there. Seldom ever do you get a high quality post out of JC but there is one this year down here in Texas at Angelina, JC in Lufkin. She is 6' 4" and is the National JC player of the year. If you saw her play you'd know why. I think she averaged 25 points per game. Natasha Mack. She originally signed with Houston but changed her mind and set out one year then went to Angelina . I don't believe she has committed yet but is being recruited by Oklahoma State, Missouri, Wichita State and at least 3 other schools.

In my opinion she is far superior to Nezerwa and I mean that as no dis-respect to her. But to be blunt I was never quite sure why she was offered at ISU. To my surprise she did provide some decent relief a few times for the Clones this year, actually more than I expected. But Natasha is good enough to move up and be a very solid contributor for somebody.

I’m always suspect of jucos. We had the top rated juco player (and a post) a year ago and she was a bust. I’m also very bullish on Nez. High motor, good court sense and depending how many years the NCAA does or doesn’t give her...tremdous upside.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BoxsterCy

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I’m always suspect of jucos. We had the top rated juco player (and a post) a year ago and she was a bust. I’m also very bullish on Nez. High motor, good court sense and depending how many years the NCAA does or doesn’t give her...tremdous upside.

We have had this discussion before. I think it was determined to be a mixed bag priorly. Appears JUCO importing now has turned sort of bear-ish in results. If Nez gets another year, with another year of development, she could be an even bigger asset.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

We have lately been taking wild fliers at post recruiting. Scholarship to some club player from Germany who never even saw the court because of back troubles. Last years juco who got injured and transferred. Our current juco and the gal from Australia. Hopefully our reshirt and Scott can handle the minutes next year with some role playing from Nezerwa if she gets another year. Who knows, maybe Morgan Kane is the next Poppens.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

I agree with you, but @geewago has traditionally been right on with assessments of player talent and ability so this one probably has some merit.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I agree with you, but @geewago has traditionally been right on with assessments of player talent and ability so this one probably has some merit.
I don't mean to imply that Natash Mack is a 5 star player the likes of Anigwe, Brown, Cox, Turner, Collier etc etc. I doubt she would be nearly as good as Danielle Adams who was really a post/forward combo. I just figure she is good enough to be a at least the second best post player on some very good team somewhere. Very few teams have one good post player much less two. But she is truly the best that JC has to offer this year.

Adut Vulgat is the absolute best post I ever saw play in JC. She was down here at Trinity Valley and I was just amazed at how dominate she was. She visited here at Baylor several times and Mulkey said it was painful to turn her down but the roster was already loaded. She went on to play for Florida State and was selected on the first team in the ACC. She was drafted in the 1st round of the WNBA draft, 12th selection I believe and I didn't look it up but I think she is still in the league. That girl was really good. I posted about her on here several years ago and several suggested that I send the info to Bill and see if he would be interested in pursuing. I thought it would be best for someone he knew and trusted to pass the information on. I did send the info about her to the staff but I never heard a anything back.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Danielle Adams was female Royce White - a matchup nightmare. She was a point/forward/post with a big body and arms like Horton-Tucker's. I watched her all through high school. I thought she would be good in college, but not like she was.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Any idea on who committed?