Friday OT - Nostalgic Cinema

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Star Wars in '77.

One of the reasons I love Star Wars so much is the whole first few minutes takes me back to my childhood.

The 20th Century Fox music then the giant Star Wars logo and thunderous music...and then the star destroyer engulfing the screen. It just totally blew my childhood mind. I'll never, ever, forget it.

The Black Hole, Pete's Dragon, The Muppet Movie...I can see a lot of us are the same age.

I was feeling nostalgic last night and Netflix'd CHiPs for my boys. Woof, the dialog is brutal. But my son dug the '76 Porche Carrera and '76 Jag XKE it featured.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is the one I was thinking of. Recently talked about that movie with my brothers; we realized even more how messed up that movie is for kids. That room where all the heads were screaming at Dorothy scared the piss out of me everytime.

Surprised we didn't all need therapy after watching that as often as we did. Which reminds me, didn't realized until my discussion with my brothers that they were trying to give Dorothy electroshock therapy at the beginning because she kept talking about Oz?!

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I definitely agree. Whoever wrote that movie was on some serious psychedelics.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Space Jam and Remember the Titans. Watched those a lot.
Space Jam was FANTASTIC! I still love that movie!

Toy Story and Lion King are two that bring back a lot of memories. Looking forward to the new ones later this year... I WILL see both in theaters as a grown man, even if I have to go by myself haha.

Old Yeller was a must watch at Grandma's house.
Babe
The Princess Bride
FernGully
The Land Before Time (Was for sure thinking of Tree Stars every time I ate broccoli)
Bambi
Dumbo

Reactions: CloniesForLife

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Back to the Future trilogy for me. Have a hard time passing up watching it if I see it on the TV guide when looking for something to watch.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The first movie I remember seeing at the theater: "Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory."

My recollection of it attached to childhood isn't so much about the movie itself, but circumstance. One day when our family made a routine trip from the farm to Sioux City, while Mom and my sisters went shopping, Dad decided to take me to a movie.

After we all reconvened and headed home, Mom asked us what we thought of the movie. I was at an age when Any Entertainment is equally valid, I said I liked it.

Dad was disappointed. He thought it was going to be about an actually factory and how chocolate is manufactured.

Eventually, I became my dad, in that regard.

This was the first movie I really remember seeing as a kid. Yeah, I remember Bambi, Snow White, etc, but those are more of a "I remember going and a few songs," Wonka really stuck with me, I vividly remembered just about every part of the movie.

I was just a hair too young to see it in the theater. It showed up on TV wen I was around 3 or 4 years old. (b. 1970) And I think I was probably just a little too young to grasp the film. A lot of it scared me. Augustus Gloop getting stuck in that pipe, that was frightening to me, probably because loved chocolate and could have seen that happening to me if I were there. The Boat ride?!?! Holy ****! That stuff can freak a little kid out.

And I remember asking my dad as we were watching it. What's up with Grandpa Joe? Guy is lying in bed his whole life and all of a sudden he can walk and dance just fine, was he just being lazy?

I have to say though, the opposite has happened with me. I've really come to love this movie. I think a lot of it is that I see the humor in it now that scared me as a young kid. And I think because it made such an impression on me, is why I am so fond of it and watch it quite often.

It couldn't be just about the fear aspect of it though. I saw the exorcist when I was too young as well, it scared the **** out of me and I've never cared to see that movie again.

Reactions: cyclones500

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
For some reason I remember watching the movie Clue a bunch when a kid. Probably because I loved the board game so much, also maybe because of the maid...
yvette3-1.jpg

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Charlie the Lonesome Cougar actually any of those old Disney late 60 early 70's movie on the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights.

They would always be 2 part events since the show was only an hour. Take you 2 weeks to finish a movie

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The first movie I remember seeing in the theater, like so many here, was Star Wars. The theatrical film I always looked forward to watching on tv whenever they showed it? Earthquake. Yes, it's a terrible movie, but I loved it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I want to say Star Wars or the original Muppet Movie, but I have seen them so many times since I was a kid, they don't remind me of being a kid.

Maybe The Dark Crystal. It was weird and dark, and not really very good, but it definitely was a kid memory.

Oh, also a couple odd Disney movies - Candleshoe and Bedknobs & Broomsticks. My sister and I watched them a lot as kids. Yeah, I think this is my answer.

I thought I was the only one to remember Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I loved that movie. We had it recorded off TV on VHS.

Reactions: CascadeClone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
As a little kid: I watched "Brian's Song" every year. And I didn't cry, YOU cried.

And "That thing you do" is a great nostalgia movie. The downtown scenes remind me of my (Iowa) hometown when I was a little kid.
I've cried every time I've seen Brian's Song and I'm proud of it. In fact, just thinking about it makes me cry a little. Will IS purchase a new keyboard because there are too many tears on it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
For Junior High and start of HS......Revenge of the nerds and Porky's.
During high school, we used to watch Hollywood Knights all the time (I think it was on HBO a bunch). It was awesome. I re-watched it a few years ago. It was terrible. Why did they change the movie so much? It looked about the same but it wasn't funny anymore.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
During high school, we used to watch Hollywood Knights all the time (I think it was on HBO a bunch). It was awesome. I re-watched it a few years ago. It was terrible. Why did they change the movie so much? It looked about the same but it wasn't funny anymore.

Yeah, I've watched movies that I thought were great and am usually disappointed.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This is a big one for me, as well. I was born in the 80s, so I'm not of the 60s/70s Gen Xers. However, that movie always reminds me of the end of the school year and the freedom of summer in front of me.

Animal House falls in this same category for me. Not my generation, but watching that movie always takes me back to college and all the great fun I had.

Dazed and Confused here as well. That was our traditional end-of-schoolyear routine. Brings back the memories, that one.

First movie I remember seeing in the theaters was Batman. My parents took me, but didn't tell me what movie we were going to see. When the intro started, man, I was fired up. In fact, gotta post it here to get me through the end of the day!

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I liked a lot of the movies already mentioned, but I also loved watching really bad movies as a kid such as Krull, Conan the Barbarian, Clash of the Titans, Beastmaster, Willow, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Critters, Goulies, Howard the Duck. The list goes on but those are ones I can think of.

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Ghostbusters 1&2
One Crazy Summer
Summer School
Police Academy (s)
PeeWee's big Adventure: Watch out for Large Marge.
Back to the Future
Spaceballs
Home Alone
Dumb and Dumber---as we got older.