Podcast CycloneAlert and Pollard: Message to Fans

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
What's this in reference to?

He sent a letter to Sukup End Zone Club ticket holders after receiving numerous complaints that people were "saving" and treating the seats up against the window as their personal season tickets, even to the extent of getting mad at fans outside (in their actual seats) that were standing up during the game. And rightly so he would call out this group.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I agree with JP. I do have to say our coaches need to know that every fan base has "Fire said coach" after every loss. It's completely stupid. I don't mind questioning coaches decisions but when you start a thread "This is why Prohm needs to go". That is just a stupid thread title and I could see how that would get under the skin of a coach, who has a wife, family, kids and everything else that read websites. I mean could you imagine a bunch of people starting threads that you need to be fired from your current job?

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The Sukup Endzone club problems that led to JP issuing a letter about it is a great example.

Two letters. Received a letter the year prior about excessive alcohol consumption in the SEZ. This is why we can't have nice things.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
There's a big difference between being a passionate fan and being a dbag. Some fans unfortunately can't see the difference.

For the most part I agree with JPs comments. Part of ISU's brand is the unbelievably loyal fanbase. Success does change the standards though, and our very own football coach preaches changing the standards. It's inevitable and needed if we want to move forward. I think expectations can be raised by the fanbase without going full toddler meltdown mode every time something doesn't go our way.

I look at it this way. JP has done plenty in his tenure to EARN my trust. He hasn't always made the right decision, but more often than not he gets it right. He's done incredible things at ISU. Campbell and Prohm have also done quite a bit to EARN my trust. They're not perfect, but they love being here, care a lot about what they do, and fit into the culture of the athletic department and Iowa State in general. And oh by the way, they WIN! Since that trust has been earned, they deserve some patience when things don't appear to be going well. Things rarely go well all the time, especially when you're actively building something. I'm good with giving them some patience with the trust that they are building something really good and something we all can be proud of.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Jamie must never read the #BBN comments on Twitter after Kentucky looses in Basketball. I think it's less about the fans and more about social media and our society getting mean. Users can hide behind their social media and internet postings with anonymous names
I think JP's point is we don't want to turn into that kind of fanbase where there are Kentucky fans saying Cal needs to go since they didn't make the Final Four this year. Yeah obviously we aren't that bad.

But take a look at the people saying Prohm underachieved his first year with a Sweet 16 when the year prior Fred with a very similar team lost to UAB in the first round. Or the people upset this year we didn't win more games because pundits said we were most talented team in Big 12.

Right now we are trying to break into the next tier of athletics and surprise, that is super hard.

rHarmon

Feb 23, 2019
A fantastic listen is the Pollard interview from Alex Halstead on CycloneAlert 247sports. Half way through is the message to fans. https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...s-facilities-Cyclone-Scoop-podcast-130810557/

A real priority this summer for Pollard is communicating this message:

"Starting to see it..." Cyclone fans a majority are awesome. We take pride in being different and are more loyal.

.."some of our fans are starting to behave in ways that our fan base likes to make fun of other fans for behaving that way"

Saw it with Matt Campbell playcalling/coordinator, saw it with men's basketball this winter, saw it last season with women's basketball.

"When you ultimately achieve the success you desire, remember who you were because that's who you still are"

Iowa State fans ran off Earl Bruce. Three 8-3 seasons in a row and ran him off. If we run off Matt Campbell or Steve Prohm because we changed, we will regret it forever.

"This is a great time to make hay" Across the board athletically, we've never been higher in the all-sports rankings. Only have finished in the top half 1 time (5th out of 10) and are currently 2nd going into spring.

JP's biggest concern right now is protecting the brand and he's "starting to see some erosion". Fans make us different at Iowa State and if we lose that, we lose the advantage over other places.

It's interesting he mentions it's not just social media. He's had donors express frustrations in person. He understands wanting to win and being disappointed during a loss. But don't be irrational.

I myself am guilty of this too, so I'll need to work on this as well. Go Cyclones!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There's a big difference between being a passionate fan and being a dbag. Some fans unfortunately can't see the difference.

For the most part I agree with JPs comments. Part of ISU's brand is the unbelievably loyal fanbase. Success does change the standards though, and our very own football coach preaches changing the standards. It's inevitable and needed if we want to move forward. I think expectations can be raised by the fanbase without going full toddler meltdown mode every time something doesn't go our way.

I look at it this way. JP has done plenty in his tenure to EARN my trust. He hasn't always made the right decision, but more often than not he gets it right. He's done incredible things at ISU. Campbell and Prohm have also done quite a bit to EARN my trust. They're not perfect, but they love being here, care a lot about what they do, and fit into the culture of the athletic department and Iowa State in general. And oh by the way, they WIN! Since that trust has been earned, they deserve some patience when things don't appear to be going well. Things rarely go well all the time, especially when you're actively building something. I'm good with giving them some patience with the trust that they are building something really good and something we all can be proud of.

This is really well stated. I think the bottom line is too many people think they know better than the people who are actually hired to be the coaches. Guess what? No one on this board knows jack ****.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think JP's point is we don't want to turn into that kind of fanbase where there are Kentucky fans saying Cal needs to go since they didn't make the Final Four this year. Yeah obviously we aren't that bad.

But take a look at the people saying Prohm underachieved his first year with a Sweet 16 when the year prior Fred with a very similar team lost to UAB in the first round. Or the people upset this year we didn't win more games because pundits said we were most talented team in Big 12.

Right now we are trying to break into the next tier of athletics and surprise, that is super hard.

It is super hard and if you only focus on the end goal, you don't enjoy the process of getting there.

Think of how many idiots on here were so upset about the basketball season that they didn't enjoy plenty of good things that happened-the Kansas win, the Tech win, the Big 12 tournament.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Id like to know who was complaining during football. How anyone can complain after everything we have been through and having a season like that is rediculous. I’ll admit I was critical on some of the play calling, but it’s impossible to be unhappy with the season and performance. Basketball I think some complaints were warranted.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The "difficulty curve" of college sports...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_game_difficulty_balancing

...is not even nor linear.

Going from bottom-feeder to making bowl games in football is way easier than going from making piddly bowl games to camping out in the top ten and challenging for conference championships and even national championships. In other terms, the difficulty of going from 2-10 and a basket case to 6-6 and minimally competent is much easier than going from 6-6 to 10-2 and being the national darling of college football. And yet Campbell has us close.

The same is true of basketball -- going from McDermott to making the tournament is way easier than going from routinely making the tournament, maybe making it to the second weekend, and beating very good teams roughly half of the time to a powerhouse that wins conference championships, can pull a #1 or a #2 seed (something we have done once in school history), and pushes for the Final Four. Prohm has us more in the middle of this process compared to Campbell, but Campbell could have any job he wants. It is an unfair comparison.

Going from Mario Teaches Typing to Super Mario Bros. is easier than going from Super Mario Bros. to Contra or something ridiculous like that.

The hill gets steeper the higher you get.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Id like to know who was complaining during football. How anyone can complain after everything we have been through and having a season like that is rediculous. I’ll admit I was critical on some of the play calling, but it’s impossible to be unhappy with the season and performance. Basketball I think some complaints were warranted.

It's pretty easy. Go find the game threads and the post game threads for the month of November.

Cyguy1984

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2018
Amen, amen.
And please, no one start down the “If you’re happy finishing second, then you’ll never be a winner” path.
Play with class, win with honor.

So glad JP is our AD. That’s a contract to be sure to renew.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
People were kinda down after the Texas game just because we were so close to a conference title. Don’t remember too many upset for beating Baylor or KSU. Those wins were still great wins. I was definitely thrilled to finally beat KSU. We still finished 3rd last year, which I honestly didn’t think could be done at Iowa State before Campbell showed us it could

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
This is really well stated. I think the bottom line is too many people think they know better than the people who are actually hired to be the coaches. Guess what? No one on this board knows jack ****.

Unless you ask them then they will tell you all about how they know better than the coaches and AD. Some people are getting to the point where they are almost hoping ISU loses so they can say "I told you so" it is getting so annoying. Winning is hard and with where ISU has been the whole athletic department is doing a great job. You have to be able to sustain being good before you can sustain being a great team instead of just a year of being a flash in the pan.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
A lot of the ones who complain the most weren't around during the bad times. We as a fan base need to support our teams and coaches during good times and bad.
If you wish something better, make it better with your actions.
Some of us were students in the 70s when the football program had its ups and downs and then suffered thru the dark ages when it seemed there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Let's not become greasy tavern hoks.

Help Support Us

Become a patron