Podcast CycloneAlert and Pollard: Message to Fans

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
There's a big difference between being a passionate fan and being a dbag. Some fans unfortunately can't see the difference.

For the most part I agree with JPs comments. Part of ISU's brand is the unbelievably loyal fanbase. Success does change the standards though, and our very own football coach preaches changing the standards. It's inevitable and needed if we want to move forward. I think expectations can be raised by the fanbase without going full toddler meltdown mode every time something doesn't go our way.

I look at it this way. JP has done plenty in his tenure to EARN my trust. He hasn't always made the right decision, but more often than not he gets it right. He's done incredible things at ISU. Campbell and Prohm have also done quite a bit to EARN my trust. They're not perfect, but they love being here, care a lot about what they do, and fit into the culture of the athletic department and Iowa State in general. And oh by the way, they WIN! Since that trust has been earned, they deserve some patience when things don't appear to be going well. Things rarely go well all the time, especially when you're actively building something. I'm good with giving them some patience with the trust that they are building something really good and something we all can be proud of.
Everything you said is right on point and correct.

Fans should heed JP's request to be respectful; not be a d bag like some have been. IF YOU DON'T, JP should be able to expel you from every athletic event. His management as AD has gotten us:
Hoiberg,
Campbell
Prohm
Fennelly
Dresser
Winning football seasons
Ranked football team
Bowl Appearances,
NCAA march madnesss appearance for Mens and Women's Basketball
Big 12 basketball tournament championships

not to mention that we haven't had hardly any issues with coaches and FBI. Integrity is there.

The next time you dbag's call for the coaches head and throw a tantrum after things go wrong a little bit, think about where our programs were before JP compared to after JP....if you didn't like it before, don't be an idiot on social media. Follow JP's request to just be quiet.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I get the message here, but let's not go overboard with it. Criticism does not mean someone is trying to run a coach off. Like, who on earth is saying Campbell needs to go? Nobody is, because that's stupid as hell. There is such as thing as acknowledging flaws with coaches, and anyone who does that isn't trying to kick them to the curb

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get the message here, but let's not go overboard with it. Criticism does not mean someone is trying to run a coach off. Like, who on earth is saying Campbell needs to go? Nobody is, because that's stupid as hell. There is such as thing as acknowledging flaws with coaches, and anyone who does that isn't trying to kick them to the curb

Ya I agree with this the problem I have is all the Captain Hindsight’s that come out when our offense sputters for a quarter and it’s “shoulda hired an OC!”, “Well if we had an oc in there’s this would never have happened, never!” “Campbell thinks he can do it all no. He. Can’t! That ONE interception is proof!”

Then that is inevitably followed by the “here comes the kick to the stones”, “get your cups on” ******** that drives me ******* crazy. I hate that culture and I hate that the mouthpiece of this site and kxno propagates it. The media has fully picked up on it. All ISU coverage is “this is great, but (insert potentials terrible thing happening)”.

Compare that to Iowa’s coverage and it’s very stark.

Spell4isu

Jan 6, 2019
Ya I agree with this the problem I have is all the Captain Hindsight’s that come out when our offense sputters for a quarter and it’s “shoulda hired an OC!”, “Well if we had an oc in there’s this would never have happened, never!” “Campbell thinks he can do it all no. He. Can’t! That ONE interception is proof!”

Then that is inevitably followed by the “here comes the kick to the stones”, “get your cups on” ******** that drives me ******* crazy. I hate that culture and I hate that the mouthpiece of this site and kxno propagates it. The media has fully picked up on it. All coverage is “this is great, but (insert potentials terrible thing happening)”.

Compare that to Iowa’s coverage and it’s very stark.

You must be friends with some of my friends.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Everything you said is right on point and correct.

Fans should heed JP's request to be respectful; not be a d bag like some have been. IF YOU DON'T, JP should be able to expel you from every athletic event. His management as AD has gotten us:
Hoiberg,
Campbell
Prohm
Fennelly
Dresser
Winning football seasons
Ranked football team
Bowl Appearances,
NCAA march madnesss appearance for Mens and Women's Basketball
Big 12 basketball tournament championships

not to mention that we haven't had hardly any issues with coaches and FBI. Integrity is there.

The next time you dbag's call for the coaches head and throw a tantrum after things go wrong a little bit, think about where our programs were before JP compared to after JP....if you didn't like it before, don't be an idiot on social media. Follow JP's request to just be quiet.

He also got us Cizik, McDormatt and CPR. Not many Power 5 AD's can have 3 major fails in revenue sports like that and still be around to continue to make hires. Maybe ISU is different!

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
He also got us Cizik, McDormatt and CPR. Not many Power 5 AD's can have 3 major fails in revenue sports like that and still be around to continue to make hires. Maybe ISU is different!
My point was more along the line that in the big scheme of things, when fans call the coach's employment into question or make negative personal comments in regard to the ability to perform the job when the issue is a blip on the radar, said fan ought to bite their tongue and be quiet.

My comments were not to say that he(JP) doesn't make mistakes (just like the coaches). Maybe the president at the time should have parted ways with JP after the mistakes you mention . I wouldn't blame the administration for that stance. As with everything though, and more on point similarly to the coaches, there is a learning curve with everything. Maybe JP was still learning at that point in h\is career. Hopefully those lessons taught him well and now we are the beneficiaries of that gained wisdom later in his career.

Are you saying that the Big 12 AD of the year given to JP is not deserved? Are you ready to part ways with JP?

Reactions: beentherebefore

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
My point was more along the line that in the big scheme of things, when fans call the coach's employment into question or make negative personal comments in regard to the ability to perform the job when the issue is a blip on the radar, said fan ought to bite their tongue and be quiet.

My comments were not to say that he(JP) doesn't make mistakes (just like the coaches). Maybe the president at the time should have parted ways with JP after the mistakes you mention . I wouldn't blame the administration for that stance. As with everything though, and more on point similarly to the coaches, there is a learning curve with everything. Maybe JP was still learning at that point in h\is career. Hopefully those lessons taught him well and now we are the beneficiaries of that gained wisdom later in his career.

Are you saying that the Big 12 AD of the year given to JP is not deserved? Are you ready to part ways with JP?

I'm not calling for anything, or saying something is or isn't deserved...just stating the facts that were surprisingly missing from your original post. I evaluate employees on their entire performance--not just the parts I like.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyder91

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
I'm not calling for anything, or saying something is or isn't deserved...just stating the facts that were surprisingly missing from your original post. I evaluate employees on their entire performance--not just the parts I like.
Agree in part. I did miss those facts. But since he wasn't fired by the past president (maybe should have when mistakes were made) he stayed on. In current president's eyes, and mine he has not done much wrong and can only be evaluated on recent performance...sort of the old cliche "what have you done for me lately?" Based on this, he been good. Can't really judge his current performance on past transgressions. I know in my career, the bad decisions I made 8-10 years ago I would not make today

Reactions: Spell4isu

Help Support Us

Become a patron