Podcast CycloneAlert and Pollard: Message to Fans

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
A fantastic listen is the Pollard interview from Alex Halstead on CycloneAlert 247sports. Half way through is the message to fans. https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...s-facilities-Cyclone-Scoop-podcast-130810557/

A real priority this summer for Pollard is communicating this message:

"Starting to see it..." Cyclone fans a majority are awesome. We take pride in being different and are more loyal.

.."some of our fans are starting to behave in ways that our fan base likes to make fun of other fans for behaving that way"

Saw it with Matt Campbell playcalling/coordinator, saw it with men's basketball this winter, saw it last season with women's basketball.

"When you ultimately achieve the success you desire, remember who you were because that's who you still are"

Iowa State fans ran off Earl Bruce. Three 8-3 seasons in a row and ran him off. If we run off Matt Campbell or Steve Prohm because we changed, we will regret it forever.

"This is a great time to make hay" Across the board athletically, we've never been higher in the all-sports rankings. Only have finished in the top half 1 time (5th out of 10) and are currently 2nd going into spring.

JP's biggest concern right now is protecting the brand and he's "starting to see some erosion". Fans make us different at Iowa State and if we lose that, we lose the advantage over other places.

It's interesting he mentions it's not just social media. He's had donors express frustrations in person. He understands wanting to win and being disappointed during a loss. But don't be irrational.

I myself am guilty of this too, so I'll need to work on this as well. Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I don't think support will waver. Butts continue to be in seats. But as expectations rise, criticism is part of the game too. I'll concede that a portion of the fanbase is extreme. But the AD will need to evolve to understand that some of the ugly stuff comes with success.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
JP needs to change with the brand.

JP wanted to change the brand. It’s changed. He says he’d like to “protect”, but that’s not the same as “when you ultimately achieve the success you desire, remember who you were because that's who you still are".

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Having a passionate fanbase is a double edged sword. It's a lot to ask any fanbase to be rabid when times are good but understanding if there is dissapointment. I think individual fans can do that, but not a whole group of fans.

tumblr_mjf8l3rJXy1qatmzjo4_1280.gif

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
$52.9 million

That was the reported economic impact at the Alamo Bowl.

That is a major part of our "brand". Excited fans who will open their pocketbooks and spend some cash to support the Clones. (Ask Kansas City)

Other than the goddam ridiculous complaining about basketball refs this fan base has over produced vs team results.

JP, you're welcome.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Can someone explain how we ran off Earle Bruce? I thought I heard he wanted to stay but our AD urged him to leave.

There was a vocal contingent that called him "Old 8-3 Earle" -- as if 8-3 was somehow beneath Iowa State's status (it wasn't), or that Iowa State was entitled to much better (it wasn't). Three consecutive years of 8-3 was just sooooo frustrating to those people.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
too many fans think they have actual knowledge or insight into sports. Too many think they know better than the people in charge. Plenty of our fans are arrogant ********.

We all remember the Alamo bowl but things got plenty ugly around here after the Texas game and after the Baylor, k state, and drake games.

We all know how ugly it got on here during a 23 win basketball season.

Read the comments on an Iowa State athletics facebook post after a loss. It’s a cesspool filled with ********. I can’t imagine the vile stuff a lot of you email our coaches.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The Sukup Endzone club problems that led to JP issuing a letter about it is a great example.