Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I understand the ridiculous chances of winning the Powerball, but $2 for the piece of mind that I won't be the only jackass left in my office may be the best insurance policy I've ever taken out.

I would advise not buying one since I will be possessing the winning ticket in 36 hours. I will give you $2 if I win so it won't feel like you didn't get anything.

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
:cool: View attachment 63339

Fun fact, there's no rental cars in Bermuda for tourists. So this is my rental "car" for the week.

If you're ever renting one, don't slap the thing and say "What's the top speed of this bad boy" during the safety course. That's how you almost don't get to rent one lol. :D

At least you got one with a big enough seat for two,

He callin' 2015 fat?

just incase #lustisreal some night.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.:cool::D

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Financial question for anyone that can give me some advice:

I was talking with my wife about the 529 plan we have in place for our daughter and how much we want to have in place seven years from now. With only one child, we'd like to be able to get her through without student loans.

I know a lot of it depends on where she goes and any scholarships she can get. All things considered, what is the ideal amount to be sitting at once she enters college? I'm thinking if we are sitting around 75-80% of the total estimated cost, we should be ok. We don't want to have an excess in there due to the penalties incurred if the money isn't used.

My daughter is convinced that she is going to go to ISU for aerospace engineering (I'd be cool with that!) but I know that she will change her mind a billion times between now and then. It did make me really look at huge the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition though. Ugh. I think of what I paid for a year of in-state tuition at ISU back in the early 90's and I want to cry.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Financial question for anyone that can give me some advice:

I was talking with my wife about the 529 plan we have in place for our daughter and how much we want to have in place seven years from now. With only one child, we'd like to be able to get her through without student loans.

I know a lot of it depends on where she goes and any scholarships she can get. All things considered, what is the ideal amount to be sitting at once she enters college? I'm thinking if we are sitting around 75-80% of the total estimated cost, we should be ok. We don't want to have an excess in there due to the penalties incurred if the money isn't used.

My daughter is convinced that she is going to go to ISU for aerospace engineering (I'd be cool with that!) but I know that she will change her mind a billion times between now and then. It did make me really look at huge the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition though. Ugh. I think of what I paid for a year of in-state tuition at ISU back in the early 90's and I want to cry.

A lot or variables. First, how much will you be willing to pay annually out of your pocket? You could back that off. One other possibility is you can load down a Roth IRA (check with you accountant and make sure here but I'm fairly confident with this) and pull the principle you paid in out for education expenses. That would give you a vehicle to help kill two birds with one stone later. I think the 75% would be good. You have some time while in college and if you feel bad could pick up some of the loans for her afterwards also.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm really curious how this works. I've done at least a vague research on this. For our tiny group of 3 for 3 days (1park/day) during the off season I can swing the mid range meal plan for Disney costs averaging 2.3-3.2k. I haven't bothered looking into the travel costs yet.

How do the character/sit down meals work? I did learn where I can see the menus and the meal plan is the best way to go to eat at those places. YIKES $$$

The meal plan we had was one sit-down meal (entree, dessert and one drink—could be alcohol) one quick service meal (think burger and fries type of meal) plus two snacks per person per day. Definitely plenty of food, we should have eaten more earlier in our stay. We had three character meals—two buffets and a sit-down breakfast. Each character came to every table. We had little autograph books for the girls so the characters would sign their books and interact a bit with our family. If you stay on property you are able to make reservations for meals 180 days in advance. A few reservations are two meal credits—like Cinderella’s Royal Table took two of our sit down meals for each of us.

We didn’t want to pull girls out of school so decided on spring break. Even 6-7months out the flights were ridiculous because the airlines know it is spring break. Hopefully you could find some good airline deals during off season times.

Feel free to send me any other questions you have!

Reactions: cyrevkah

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The antenna on my truck has been broken for quite some time, I noticed it 4 months after I bought it, not sure when it was broken.
Estimate to fix = $600 about $150 parts $450 in labor.

You have to remove the inner roof panel to get to it. After some looking around I am thinking I can get my hands up under the panel through the rear slider. The nut that attaches the antenna is probably only 6-12 inches from there.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Super awkward neighbor situation ahead.

Background, when we get a LOT of rain in a short time, we get a "river" between our house and the neighbor's that quickly goes down after the rain stops. It funnels down from other houses around us and goes between our houses then out to a field.

So this neighbor is selling. Open house over the weekend and as I was coming back from a walk with babe, a car pulls over to ask me about the house (I was in my driveway) because they were going to offer on it. Sure! They were mostly concerned about water and asked if I've ever seen water get near their foundation. No, I have not. Even better, I have pictures I've taken from when it "floods" that I offered to show. Yes they'd love to see. As I'm swiping through, I realize nothing actually shows the neighbor's foundation but gives references points that indicate plenty of distance before that's a concern - at least to me. Probably a good 8-10ft which is plenty for a short-lived stream. IDK, I think it would get to our basement windows before the neighbors' and DH is literally not even a tiny bit worried about it.

Anyway, they said it was good to see that and how it wasn't a dealbreaker but maybe they'd want to put a riser(?) on the septic tanks in that area or some more dirt near the foundation to up the grade. They left on a very positive note - asking my name again and chatting about the neighborhood.

I get a message today from my neighbor asking about these pictures because apparently this person passed on the house telling them I showed them pictures of water very near the foundation and the homeowner is of course, confused at what pictures I have. So I sent a message back offering to stop by tonight and I'm just like. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. We've only talked to them a few times - seem perfectly nice and all. I'm sure they are pissed at me and wonder wtf I told these people. I'm also ticked at the buyer because dude, wtf? If you truly felt what I showed you illuminated something the owners were trying to hide, thanks for throwing me under the damn bus. Just say you have concerns about drainage or some **** and move on. Super annoyed at them now. And dreading trying to smooth this over.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Background, when we get a LOT of rain in a short time, we get a "river" between our house and the neighbor's that quickly goes down after the rain stops. It funnels down from other houses around us and goes between our houses then out to a field.

So this neighbor is selling. Open house over the weekend and as I was coming back from a walk with babe, a car pulls over to ask me about the house (I was in my driveway) because they were going to offer on it. Sure! They were mostly concerned about water and asked if I've ever seen water get near their foundation. No, I have not. Even better, I have pictures I've taken from when it "floods" that I offered to show. Yes they'd love to see. As I'm swiping through, I realize nothing actually shows the neighbor's foundation but gives references points that indicate plenty of distance before that's a concern - at least to me. Probably a good 8-10ft which is plenty for a short-lived stream. IDK, I think it would get to our basement windows before the neighbors' and DH is literally not even a tiny bit worried about it.

Anyway, they said it was good to see that and how it wasn't a dealbreaker but maybe they'd want to put a riser(?) on the septic tanks in that area or some more dirt near the foundation to up the grade. They left on a very positive note - asking my name again and chatting about the neighborhood.

I get a message today from my neighbor asking about these pictures because apparently this person passed on the house telling them I showed them pictures of water very near the foundation and the homeowner is of course, confused at what pictures I have. So I sent a message back offering to stop by tonight and I'm just like. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. We've only talked to them a few times - seem perfectly nice and all. I'm sure they are pissed at me and wonder wtf I told these people. I'm also ticked at the buyer because dude, wtf? If you truly felt what I showed you illuminated something the owners were trying to hide, thanks for throwing me under the damn bus. Just say you have concerns about drainage or some **** and move on. Super annoyed at them now. And dreading trying to smooth this over.

One positive, those other folks won't be your neighbors......... Also, had they done what they mentioned, it's possible that they would have shoved water towards your house.

A good rule of thumb in these situations, imagine it is like an interview of a person whom you casually worked with and wasn't listed as a person of contact. Best to use the "not to my knowledge" as an answer.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
One positive, those other folks won't be your neighbors......... Also, had they done what they mentioned, it's possible that they would have shoved water towards your house.

A good rule of thumb in these situations, imagine it is like an interview of a person whom you casually worked with and wasn't listed as a person of contact. Best to use the "not to my knowledge" as an answer.

Totally. Maybe it's better they passed and definitely learned my lesson on this one. Basic info is enough.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Totally. Maybe it's better they passed and definitely learned my lesson on this one. Basic info is enough.

Speaking of neighbors, I think the newest ready to move in this spring aren't going to find it too welcoming. They are completing what we call the skyscraper house. It's three stories high counting the walkout level with a steep high roof perched on top of it, essentially three stories tall in front and four stories high in back. It's on a 40' wide lot and only 4 feet off my one friends property line. It towers above her house by at least 20 feet and totally shades her out since she is north of it. Had a neighborhood meeting with the mayor the other night. He reasonably asked us not to hate on the new neighbors but I am betting like 10 to 1 against that. It was a tear down on two 40' lots that the county allowed to be 2 lots again. City was not aware of that and couldn't stop it since that is the way it was plotted a million years ago. It would be a BIG house on an 80' lot but it's insanely large for a 40' lot. Cannot even imagine why these people would even build something like it. It's so bad my friend is going to sell and move. :( Giving my neighbors the figurative finger and ******* them over before you even move in is not going to endear them to the neighborhood.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Speaking of neighbors, I think the newest ready to move in this spring aren't going to find it too welcoming. They are completing what we call the skyscraper house. It's three stories high counting the walkout level with a steep high roof perched on top of it, essentially three stories tall in front and four stories high in back. It's on a 40' wide lot and only 4 feet off my one friends property line. It towers above her house by at least 20 feet and totally shades her out since she is north of it. Had a neighborhood meeting with the mayor the other night. He reasonably asked us not to hate on the new neighbors but I am betting like 10 to 1 against that. It was a tear down on two 40' lots that the county allowed to be 2 lots again. City was not aware of that and couldn't stop it since that is the way it was plotted a million years ago. It would be a BIG house on an 80' lot but it's insanely large for a 40' lot. Cannot even imagine why these people would even build something like it. It's so bad my friend is going to sell and move. :( Giving my neighbors the figurative finger and ******* them over before you even move in is not going to endear them to the neighborhood.

That house deserves whatever crap the neighbors give it. You don’t shade a neighbor out like that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wow, sometimes you look back at random encounters and realize how valuable that worthless info was that was told to by a person who doesn’t know you or would have any reason to know the same people as you.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I know this ex ISU wrestler from the 70s. This is one crazy guy. Every story of his starts or ends with a fight, and a couple of fights in the middle.

One time he said to me "You probably figured out I like to fight" I said I had that figured out long ago.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I thought this story was going in a different direction. I was sure that while you were flipping through pictures you were going to show them a dicpic from DH

or @cyrocksmypants

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Correct response for future reference is to say "what house?" and mind yo damn business haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.