Hoiberg to Huskers

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Lincoln and Omaha combined only have about 63,000 more people than the DSM metro.
I don't think that is right. The 2 main counties that make up the Omaha metro, Douglas and Sarpy (not including Lincoln and CB) have a population near 750K.
Include Lancaster (Lincoln) and its just over 1 million.
Polk, Dallas, Jasper, and Warren counties are maybe just 600K.
https://www.nebraska-demographics.com/counties_by_population
https://suburbanstats.org/population/iowa/list-of-counties-and-cities-in-iowa

And also, Lincoln sucks as a city.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It’s creepy how invested the fanboys are so interested in protecting his legacy.

It does explain why they go after prohm so hard though.

I thought he was a bad hire, I was pleasantly surprised by his success, I'm proud of him resurrecting ISU basketball, and I couldn't be happier with our current coach, his recruiting, and his attention to the whole person.

I'm not much for carrying torches for lost loves or past assshats.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
@Cat Stevens since you disagree. You don’t think adding two starters and another legit starter at the 3 has led to winning a couple more games than they did at the beginning of the year when they had a rookie starting and a couple gleague level guys starting? Do you even watch thr NBA? You don’t have players and you don’t win. Simple as that. Does Fred have faults? Yeah as a lot of coaches do. Not sure why you have such an obvious bias against the guy.

No, it had nothing to do with the roster. It had everything to do with how hard the bulls didn’t play. They were absolutely a joke because they gave up and put forth no effort.

There is a reason he was rated the worst coach in the league.

And as far as your last sentence, that would be you towards the current coach. You know, the one that actually appreciates the job and wants to be here.

You can make up whatever narrative you want to try to defend Fred, it still doesn’t make it true.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
No, it had nothing to do with the roster. It had everything to do with how hard the bulls didn’t play. They were absolutely a joke because they gave up and put forth no effort.

There is a reason he was rated the worst coach in the league.

And as far as your last sentence, that would be you towards the current coach. You know, the one that actually appreciates the job and wants to be here.

You can make up whatever narrative you want to try to defend Fred, it still doesn’t make it true.

Based on the what? You can’t just say things without backing it up. They are basically the same as they were last year except the roster was even worse last year.

I don’t have a bias towards Prohm. I don’t want him replaced. I think he is doing a good job. I like the guy but doesn’t mean you can’t be critical of certain things. It’s a message board. And this doesn’t even have anything to do with Prohm. You can like both of them. Well, at least, emotionally stable people can. Some see any support of Fred as a knock on Prohm and vice versa. It seems you fit into this category.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As long as he stays out of the Big 12 and Iowa, I don’t care what he does. However, it seems like the most unlikely always happens to Iowa State, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at Iowa or Kansas someday

Like what?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Based on the what? You can’t just say things without backing it up. They are basically the same as they were last year except the roster was even worse last year.

I don’t have a bias towards Prohm. I don’t want him replaced. I think he is doing a good job. I like the guy but doesn’t mean you can’t be critical of certain things. It’s a message board. And this doesn’t even have anything to do with Prohm. You can like both of them. Well, at least, emotionally stable people can. Some see any support of Fred as a knock on Prohm and vice versa. It seems you fit into this category.

You actually wrote that you had no idea what he was good at.

Fred failed miserably in the nba. His players didn’t respect him and they certainly didn’t play hard.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
@Cat Stevens since you disagree. You don’t think adding two starters and another legit starter at the 3 has led to winning a couple more games than they did at the beginning of the year when they had a rookie starting and a couple gleague level guys starting? Do you even watch thr NBA? You don’t have players and you don’t win. Simple as that. Does Fred have faults? Yeah as a lot of coaches do. Not sure why you have such an obvious bias against the guy.
Don’t worry about Cat. He’s a CyBobby type in that he means well, is entertaining, but is a caricature and not to be taken seriously.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is it possible to be both grateful for what Fred did for us and happy with who we have now? Or do we have to pick sides in this incredibly stupid exercise?

Welcome to 2019, my friend.

Pick a side, 100% on that one, 0% on the other, people hate you for daring to suggest 99 or 1, much less something like 60-40 or even 50-50.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The biggest downside to this is that Fred has always been a great ambassador for Iowa State, and coaching at another D1 program means, for the first time, he can't be that ambassador. I hope our guys make a big run in this tournament and everyone can finally just get over it.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The biggest downside to this is that Fred has always been a great ambassador for Iowa State, and coaching at another D1 program means, for the first time, he can't be that ambassador. I hope our guys make a big run in this tournament and everyone can finally just get over it.

I know some look at it that way... but a Fred can still be an ambassador for Iowa State and succeed at other programs. His success will always be linked to Ames and if Prohm were to leave in a few year will be an attractive job for other coached to make their name.

I gotta believe (or at least hope) that this past year has went a long way to separate Prohm and Hoiberg for fans. CSP winning the Big 12 tourney with his recruits and starting his own NCAA tourney run. Granted a sweet 16 this year would go farther to making it his program to some people but in my mind he already has ownership.

SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012

"Over Hoiberg? Some of our fans will never get over Hoiberg." - Modified Airplane quote.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I know some look at it that way... but a Fred can still be an ambassador for Iowa State and succeed at other programs. His success will always be linked to Ames and if Prohm were to leave in a few year will be an attractive job for other coached to make their name.

I gotta believe (or at least hope) that this past year has went a long way to separate Prohm and Hoiberg for fans. CSP winning the Big 12 tourney with his recruits and starting his own NCAA tourney run. Granted a sweet 16 this year would go farther to making it his program to some people but in my mind he already has ownership.

Man I feel for Prohm. He just matched Hoiberg's list of accomplishments this week, and the story line is still about Fred.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Man I feel for Prohm. He just matched Hoiberg's list of accomplishments this week, and the story line is still about Fred.

He also has beat a lot of ranked teams on the road. Did Fred ever beat KSU in Manhattan?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Kinda where I am but it's an unpopular opinion. We didn't test new success highs at ISU but the Bulls sure tested failure lows. Same as T-wolves.

When had we gone to 4 NCAA Tournament in a row before CFH? Perhaps CSP may eclipse that mark but that strikes me as new level of consistent success never seen before at Iowa State.

Last edited: