Spring Flooding

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Parents live in MN and got water in the ceiling last night. Sump pump not running because the ground is still frozen.

Potholes are just temporary water reserviors.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I use nylon stockings and buy the non corrosive snow melt in bulk. Put in a rock, to weigh it down, then fill with the snow melt. Works just as well as the pucks, but it's a lot cheaper way to go about it.

I read about this a few weeks ago. I don't like the pucks because they don't melt a very large area and I've got a long roof line that faces North which despite my best efforts always gets ice dams. It's insulated, but when ever it warms up just enough to melt snow, the water run down that side, but the sun reach that far down the roof, so the water hits the cold metal and bam. Frozen.

I'm going to try the nylon idea next year.

• Useful
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty sure something is wrong with your insulation if your getting ice jams on the roof. Either your ventilation system is blocked or you need more insulation.

Get a free Aliant Energy Audit and you’ll might qualify for a rebate on insulation installation. We did it on our old house and got $3000 off.

This is good stuff. I know why we get ice dams; we have a story and a half. The pitched part of the upstairs ceiling is very difficult to insulated properly and was done in the 40s when our house was built.

We would either have to open up the interior walls or open up the sheathing during a roof replacement to insulate properly. I’ve elected to rake the roof on this part of our house. $40 for a 18’ snow rake plus a little time vs thousands of dollars and a major renovation project.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
This is good stuff. I know why we get ice dams; we have a story and a half. The pitched part of the upstairs ceiling is very difficult to insulated properly and was done in the 40s when our house was built.

We would either have to open up the interior walls or open up the sheathing during a roof replacement to insulate properly. I’ve elected to rake the roof on this part of our house. $40 for a 18’ snow rake plus a little time vs thousands of dollars and a major renovation project.

They could spray foam by going through the sheathing and cutting circular holes. They’d replace the holes, put the shingles back on top and you’d never see it. It’s specifically designed for old houses. Our old house that we had done was built in 1945. Just a suggestion

http://www.retrofoam.com/

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
They could spray foam by going through the sheathing and cutting circular holes. They’d replace the holes, put the shingles back on top and you’d never see it. It’s specifically designed for old houses. Our old house that we had done was built in 1945. Just a suggestion

Thanks for the tip! I hadn’t heard of this method and assumed we’d have to wait for a roof replacement to do it this way.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I can’t tell from their website, do they fill the whole void with foam? You’d need to maintain a small space between the foam and sheathing to permit air flow from the lower part of the roof.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I can’t tell from their website, do they fill the whole void with foam? You’d need to maintain a small space between the foam and sheathing to permit air flow from the lower part of the roof.

Typically they fill the whole void when they cut holes. But they might have another method. I’d call any spray foam insulation company and ask for a free estimate. Any good company will do it

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I read about this a few weeks ago. I don't like the pucks because they don't melt a very large area and I've got a long roof line that faces North which despite my best efforts always gets ice dams. It's insulated, but when ever it warms up just enough to melt snow, the water run down that side, but the sun reach that far down the roof, so the water hits the cold metal and bam. Frozen.

I'm going to try the nylon idea next year.

I have a similar issue. The roof up from our front door has the furnace flu and kitchen vent on it. Then we have a huge overhang over the front door. Snow melts and refreezes over the front door. This was the only way to vover a larger area of the roof. It has helped a lot.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Thinking I survived the 2019 Thaw. Trenched a stream from the backyard to the front yard and noticed the water had dropped some by sundown last night. Sump pump was running every 3 minutes for a couple hours yesterday afternoon. By last night it was every 10 minutes.
Backyard has a small pond compared to a big lake yesterday. Haven't heard the sump pump run for some time now. No water in the basement either. Funny though the dehumidifier has kicked on though.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Waiting for the morning river forecast updates. The Cedar at CR is currently a foot above where last nights forecast had it at this time.

The creeks in CR are crazy. Highest I've seen Dry Creek (which is an awful name for this creek btw).

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic