Info on Lard

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Good. We need him and we need his rebounding for this game and for any chance we have to make any type of run in both Big 12 and NCAA tourneys.

Especially important to have Cam available to rebound and affect the low post play vs Baylor. Lard was a big factor in ISU's early lead the first game at Waco before he got hurt. Obviously Baylor, had a big rebounding advantage in the game at Ames.

Reactions: Halincandenza

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
CW said a long while back that for the team to make noise in March they'd need LW and Lard to be at their best. I think that still holds true now. They'll need whatever they can get from Cam Lard whether it's spot minutes or twenty minutes.

Agreed and in an ideal world, they would have both been moved into the starting lineup by now and the whole rotation/sub pattern worked out and in place by now. Unfortunately, we won't have that...so I kind of feel we are stuck with the same thing we've been doing for last couple months. Which has been hit and (many) misses.

Not being a downer, just concerned we won't be going into tournaments with our 5 best players on the court at tipoff. (you can say that doesn't matter, but we are coming out of a late season slide....so something matters).

RagnarLothbrok

Feb 28, 2015
Lard is a beast and for whatever reason this team feeds off of his energy on the bench or on the court. That Texas game everyone looked like they forgot their morning pick me up and he was back in Ames. And the game last week vs TTech he was engaged with the team even though he had no minutes.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agreed and in an ideal world, they would have both been moved into the starting lineup by now and the whole rotation/sub pattern worked out and in place by now. Unfortunately, we won't have that...so I kind of feel we are stuck with the same thing we've been doing for last couple months. Which has been hit and (many) misses.

Not being a downer, just concerned we won't be going into tournaments with our 5 best players on the court at tipoff. (you can say that doesn't matter, but we are coming out of a late season slide....so something matters).

Can has done nothing to prove he’s one of thd 5 best players.

Hoping he is is not the same. And neither is assuming he is based on potential or whatever CW thinks.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yeah, in a perfect world LW and Lard would have been playing lights out for the last month and forced Prohm to move them into the starting lineup. But it is what it is. All we can do now is hope that the improvements we saw from the team last Saturday were signs of better things to come. If they had come out and folded against TT I'd be extremely pessimistic for this weekend and beyond. But instead they showed some pride and they pushed a really good team with everything to play for to the final minutes of the game. Maybe it's a reach but I consider that something to hang my hopes on.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Honestly I thought we had seen the last of Lard in a Cyclone uniform.

I thought he might continue to dress but not play though the end of this season and then leave the program. We all know how that Prohm is personally invested in Cam Lard's career and life and I respect that, but it's fair to wonder what the final straw is or how many chances he gets.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Is Lard one of our best 5? Maybe one out of four possessions he’s in, he plays that way. Potential isn’t worth much this time of year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He is...you can argue whether or not he has earned the right to be rewarded as one, but he is clearly talent-wise. I don't think that is even debatable.

But don’t you have to earn it in order to be labeled a good player. Potenti doesn’t matter if not followed up by results.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
2018-2019 Cam Lard:
source.gif

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
But don’t you have to earn it in order to be labeled a good player. Potenti doesn’t matter if not followed up by results.

There are all kinds of variables. Agreed. I'm just suggesting that anyone that has watched a lot of basketball over the years would generally recognize that talent-wise he is one of our best players. I would argue top 5.

From there, you then look at effort, consistency, attitude...etc. to see if it works to play him more. So far, those factors have appeared to weigh against his playing time....and probably for good reason.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He is...you can argue whether or not he has earned the right to be rewarded as one, but he is clearly talent-wise. I don't think that is even debatable.
I'd argue that Cam has certainly shown the potential to be one of the 5 best and has been at times. He certainly SHOULD be one of our 5 best, but I don't think you can say it's materialized and that he is clearly one of the 5 best. When you ignore the potential and just look at production, he really hasn't done much. What Conditt did in 17 minutes vs. Texas was probably as good as any game Lard has had this year. Conditt also had 4 and 7 in 12 minutes vs. WVU.

I'd rather have Lard in playing big minutes, as he certainly has the potential to be a big difference maker, but we get all excited about Lard putting up 8 and 4 vs. OU in 20 minutes. But we're at the end of the season, and so far all of that potential hasn't really turned into production. I'm sure with consistent eligibility and minutes that would be different, but he can't stay out of the doghouse.

Help Support Us

Become a patron