***Official Baylor postgame thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's just an inconsistent group. The lack of effort on the boards was a head scratcher. I still have high hopes for March, but the clock is ticking. They're running out of time to figure out how to to bring the same effort and intensity for every game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Perhaps a 5-seed in the Big 12 tournament, too, but to answer his question, a long time.

It’s telling you criticize those that have higher aspirations for this program than a “possible 5 seed” in what is likely a local peak year. Although this season is successful in a general sense, it’s disappointing when reasonable goals are not met in part due to home losses.

What's your reasonable goal? Going from last place to first?

I'm frustrated by the home losses too. I just won't throw the entire team and coaching staff under the bus for the whole season due to some missteps (while being curiously absent during the wins).

• Winner
Reactions: CyJeans

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It’s coaching. Teams follow their coach.
So you're saying the talent is there to win the Big 12 and be a top 3 seed?

There's definitely talent on the team, but it's not consistent talent. Imo, this team was never in the conversation for one of the best in the past decade.

That's not a bad thing. It's one season after a last place finish, and this team will be in the tournament, and that's with 2 freshmen starting and 2 more underclassmen with major minutes. Ideally you use this experience to grow as a team, and become even better next season. Whether all 4 of those underclassmen return will be another story.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
What's your reasonable goal? Going from last place to first?

I'm frustrated by the home losses too. I just won't throw the entire team and coaching staff under the bus for the whole season due to some missteps (while being curiously absent during the wins).

There is a real agenda.

But at least they’re starting to just be open about it. One guy said he was rooting for us to lose so we could be an 8 seed in Dukes region so he could be done with it.

It’s amazing to me how people will root against the team they profess to be a fan of, so they can go after the coach. I thought McDermott was trash from when he was at UNI, Mccarney was terrible on the sidelines, and drove me nuts.

But I never rooted against my school. Sad that these people do.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
So you're saying the talent is there to win the Big 12 and be a top 3 seed?

There's definitely talent on the team, but it's not consistent talent. Imo, this team was never in the conversation for one of the best in the past decade.

That's not a bad thing. It's one season after a last place finish, and this team will be in the tournament, and that's with 2 freshmen starting and 2 more underclassmen with major minutes. Ideally you use this experience to grow as a team, and become even better next season. Whether all 4 of those underclassmen return will be another story.

This team does have the talent to win the Big 12, yes. Basically, just don’t choke away 3(!!!) home conference games.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This team does have the talent to win the Big 12, yes. Basically, just don’t choke away 3(!!!) home conference games.

Maybe they do. Maybe they’ve overachieved in the road wins.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
One thing I haven’t liked about this team all year is the pace the play at. With a small lineup you should be pushing the ball up the court every possession, even on makes. Trying to stress th defense. There are too many times when they play teams like Baylor they just slowly walk the ball up the court and let get Baylor get set. It would be different if they were a good half court team but they aren’t.
They also can’t seem to come out focused and play with energy at home. It’s like they are sleepwalking through the game.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Good teams don't lose this many times at home. ISU is not a good team. This is why Kansas wins the league every year. They don't lose at home.

This is really dumb. You should probably take the rest of the season off.

It obviously pains you to watch. Avoid it, keep you from making stupid comments on here. Trying to outdo Jessie and Malone is not a good thing.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good teams don't lose this many times at home. ISU is not a good team. This is why Kansas wins the league every year. They don't lose at home.

And apparently good teams don’t win in the road against ranked teams.

Losing 3 at home sucks. You can say that without making **** up.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I agree on the first part. Good teams don’t lose this many times at home. The problem most are having is we are clearly a good team. We shouldn’t be losing these games.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
it’s a mystery how this team finishes the season. I could see them winning every one or dropping 2-3 more

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
One thing I haven’t liked about this team all year is the pace the play at. With a small lineup you should be pushing the ball up the court every possession, even on makes. Trying to stress th defense. There are too many times when they play teams like Baylor they just slowly walk the ball up the court and let get Baylor get set. It would be different if they were a good half court team but they aren’t.
They also can’t seem to come out focused and play with energy at home. It’s like they are sleepwalking through the game.
I get ya but its not just homes wins, Kansas has an elite coach with elite players.
It's not an excuse why we aren't winning home games we should. TCU wanted the win at Hilton more than we did, we should have closed Kstate and Baylor.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Seems like a valid question to me.

I would imagine most other posters would use the 2015/16 method of being specific when referring to basketball seasons since the season does start in one calendar year and ends in another. In fact, if you ever go to KenPom.com you'll notice that they use the last year of the season to designate which team they're talking about (why ISU is 2019 on there, not 2018-19).

But hey, you do you and you write whatever you want to keep on driving your agenda.

I wouldn't have an agenda if this coaching staff would simply quit losing home games. They've completely ruined Hilton Magic and this just didn't start this year or last year. The guy is a mid major coach, probably rank him 9th in our league for coaching talent.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't have an agenda if this coaching staff would simply quit losing home games. They've completely ruined Hilton Magic and this just didn't start this year or last year. The guy is a mid major coach, probably rank him 9th in our league for coaching talent.

So who should we hire? Fire prohm.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Well, at least you admit it now.

As for the "mid major" label being some sort of insult, honestly, that's just really dumb; some of the best coaching in college basketball is done by mid-major coaches year in and year out, who have to do more with less than the blue blood programs. Some of the best coaches today got their start at mid-major programs; Bill Self, for example, started at Tulsa.

Clearly, this season's team has issues winning the games it's supposed to win at Hilton; part of that, hell, maybe even most of it, lies with whatever Prohm and his staff are or are not doing to defend the homecourt. It's mind boggling, to say the least. I went to bed pissed off about the game, slept for just a few hours, and woke up still pissed off about it.

Doesn't mean I'm ready to clean house with the coaching staff. Compared to last season this team and program are in very good shape. Besides, if you do fire Prohm, you're likely hiring Otz, who would be coming from a mid-major program, and by your own words that isn't good enough for you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron