OSU Meet

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
OSU- great counter attacks. Those blast doubles on the re-shots caused us problems in several matches

OSU- haven’t been in good shape for the last 15 years. J Smith is the master of getting his guys timely breaks.

ISU- I’m still impressed. Parker looked great.

Gomez is figuring Fix out. He can win on his feet.

Colbray- continued to show explosiveness. He needs to get some swagger. I think as his confidence grows he will show even more. Has to believe he can beat these top guys. That said his oppemt Smith is no slouch. Kid looked darn tough.

Gremmel- looked like the game planned to keep it close and he did a good job in staying out of bad positions.

Coleman- not much to comment on. He got man handled in pretty short order.

Alex- as someone stated above you gotta like the kid. He wouldn’t give up the pin. I thought he was a goner. He’s athletic and has some explosiveness but the top guys have some mat game that he can’t match.

Overall: we are light years ahead in year 2 than anything I could have imagined. I don’t remember Dressers Va Tech teammate being this hard nosed and aggressive. I think we are seeing some of the influences from Metcalf and St John. Great complements to Dresser.
Still sucks to see our boys lose but atleast our guys are competing and not getting blown out anymore. During the Jackson era, I almost dreaded going to meets but finally enjoy the 3 hour round trip.

Reactions: DarkStar

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
I've read more than once that Degen will be OK. It appears the above avg wrestlers are figuring him out. He's gifting away points and no way he sees the podium unless he figures it out.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I've read more than once that Degen will be OK. It appears the above avg wrestlers are figuring him out. He's gifting away points and no way he sees the podium unless he figures it out.

How does the injury default factor into Degen's record? Is it a win, or a *win*? His style is risk/reward, but as he is becomes a known quantity to opponents, the risk becomes greater.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Meant also to say ... very happy with what I'm seeing out of this team overall. I agree with whomever stated that we're witnessing the influence of Metcalf and St John, along with Dresser. This is a "mental toughness" staff. And we are no longer paralyzed from the bottom position!

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018

Degen went 0-2 against Lewellan last year and Lewellan AA'd so I dunno if I'd call that getting figured out. He just doesn't match up well with some guys.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It counts as a win as long as both guys stepped on the mat so Injury defaults count but medical forfeits don't.

Injury or MFF is a win for the winner. The loser, an injury is a loss, a MFF does not count against you. What I’ve always known.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/44855/degen-jarrett/profile

Between last year and this year, JD is going to have some off matches and struggle with specific styles. He goes out and battles, getting in some weird positions that hopefully work out for him. Come NCAA's, I think he will be in that round of 12 again. Styles he runs into at NCAA's will play a huge factor though.

After Scuffle, I thought Fix was a level ahead of AG. After today, they are on the same level and I am even more confident in Gomez doing something big this year.

Parker is tough. No other way to say it. The grind of NCAA's should benefit him too.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
To be fair, I couldn’t watch Willie’s match today, but I find it strange that people seem disappointed in him after this meet. I know he hasn’t wrestled all that well in the last couple weeks, but he beat a top 10 wrestler today.

I know Willie was favored, and it would’ve been a letdown if he lost, but he didn’t. He won.

Maybe someone can fill me in on what I’m missing.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
To be fair, I couldn’t watch Willie’s match today, but I find it strange that people seem disappointed in him after this meet. I know he hasn’t wrestled all that well in the last couple weeks, but he beat a top 10 wrestler today.

I know Willie was favored, and it would’ve been a letdown if he lost, but he didn’t. He won.

Maybe someone can fill me in on what I’m missing.

Yeah, same. He really needed a win yesterday to keep himself in contention and he got it. It wasn't super pretty but he was wrestling the #10 ranked guy so any win is a good win at that level. I doubt Fix is feeling terribly bad about only beating Gomez 5-4.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Just watched Gomez-Fix match. I couldn't tell, was there any stall calls against Fix in those prolonged standups when Fix couldn't get Gomez back to the mat? Looks like 2 of them were well over a 5 count. I think a stall call (if it wasn't called) would of changed the match. Fix might not of got the riding time.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Just watched Gomez-Fix match. I couldn't tell, was there any stall calls against Fix in those prolonged standups when Fix couldn't get Gomez back to the mat? Looks like 2 of them were well over a 5 count. I think a stall call (if it wasn't called) would of changed the match. Fix might not of got the riding time.

Isn't the 5 count only initiated if the top wrestler is hanging on to a leg? I went back and rewatched and Fix was always above the waist.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and buf87

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Isn't the 5 count only initiated if the top wrestler is hanging on to a leg? I went back and rewatched and Fix was always above the waist.
That is correct. There is no formal 5 count above the waist. However, most refs do hold the top wrestler responsible for returning the bottom wrestler to the mat within a reasonable amount of time. Fix failed to return Gomez for an amount of time that I think most refs would have warned the top man. A formal five count would benefit this situation imo.

• Informative

ralst024

Mar 5, 2013
Ames, IA

That is correct; there is no count for this situation. Here is the rule from Section 7, Article 15 of the rulebook found at http://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/WR19.pdf.

Art. 15. On-the-Mat Stalling Situations. Offensive and defensive stalling situations also include:
a. The offensive wrestler does not aggressively attempt to break down the opponent.
b. Either wrestler pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds to prevent scoring and/or force a restart.
c. The defensive wrestler not initiating action to escape or reverse the opponent.
d. An offensive wrestler not making an effort to return the defensive wrestler to the mat is considered stalling. In all rear-standing situations, it is the offensive wrestler's responsibility to make an effort to return the defensive wrestler to the mat.

• Informative

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Interesting, I never knew that. I have seen so many release the guy to avoid the stall call; I assumed there was a count.

I thought the 1st time Gomez got to his feet, stalling should have been called

Good seeing you at the meet @ralst024! Glad you said something to me, not sure I would have recognized you all bundled up. Hope all is well!

Reactions: ralst024

condor

Feb 2, 2018
The lack of stall calls against OSU yesterday were ridiculous. We needed a ref like Mike Allen. I doubt he got many gigs in Stillwater.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The lack of stall calls against OSU yesterday were ridiculous. We needed a ref like Mike Allen. I doubt he got many gigs in Stillwater.

When watching the Straw/Sheets match. Chase was doing most of the shooting in the 3rd period, then got called for stalling with about 20 seconds left. Not sure Sheets had even taken a shot yet.

• Agree
Reactions: pancake and condor

Help Support Us

Become a patron