CBB Hook and hold rules

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I caught the last few minutes of the Vandy vs Tennessee game last night. Vandy was up 6 with just over a minute to go. On a rebound, the Tennessee player went to the ground and the refs called a flagrant 1 for a hook and hold against Vandy, sparking a 4 point play and a Tennessee win in OT.

I really don't understand this rule at all. In this case, the Vandy player had position and the Tennessee player came and brought his arm up over the top of the other guy. When they both jumped, they got tangled. How is it that the guy that comes in and wraps his arm over top isnt the one to get the call?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's a terrible rule. I saw the same thing. The commentator went on-and-on about how intent doesn't matter on hook and hold. Then at the end of the game a Vandy guy got whacked in the face by an elbow, and the rational was that they got "tangled up". Either intent matters or it doesn't. It was clear as day to me that the Vandy guy just got tangled up on a rebound and had zero intent to hurt anyone. It was a horrible call.

The rule is to stop the Kelly Olynk/Kevin Love type play where they hook their arm and pull them down. But I very rarely see that happen.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
The hook and hold is a new point of emphasis and has been called inconsistently in the first half of the season ( I watch lots of games so the opinion is based on more then just ISU/Big 12 games) It's a hard rule to understand and I'm not sure I know much about it yet. The NCAA has put out some videos of proper and improperly called plays. (Do a search on youtube for NCAA Weekly Whistle) These helped be understand a bit better

Reactions: Halincandenza

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is a hook and hold:

This is someone trying to rebound:

Doesn't seem hard.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I saw this too! Talk about refs stealing a game! He went down hard yes, but he put himself in the position. The Vandy guy doesn't hold him, may give him a chicken wing on the way up to knock him off balance, but he certainly didn't do anything malicious. It really seems like the Tenn player was the one to put himself in a dangerous position.

In my opinion, this is just as bad as the non-called pass interference in the NFC Championship game. Obviously, it doesn't mean as much. The fact the refs took 5 minutes to look at this play and came away with F1 call blew my mind. Replay needs to get limited to real-time replay only, and you have one minute to review. If you can't see it at real speed and in a short period of time you don't get to make a call that changes the game.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
That looked a lot worse than I was expecting with the way you guys are complaining about the call. Hard to say it was a flop when he was turned sideways in mid air. I'd say it was a foul on the Vandy guy for pushing off with his elbow. I don't know about the flagrant call though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I noticed a Kansas player doing a much more obvious hook of an ISU player's arm on an inbound play Monday. Not even a common foul was called.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That looked a lot worse than I was expecting with the way you guys are complaining about the call. Hard to say it was a flop when he was turned sideways in mid air. I'd say it was a foul on the Vandy guy for pushing off with his elbow. I don't know about the flagrant call though.

Yes I agree that a common foul may be warranted for the push, but the F1 was what I don't understand. If the Tennessee guy came in and put his arm up over top the Vandy guy, what was he supposed to do? The call should be on whoever initiates that entaglement, not just the guy underneath.