****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Maybe Monte's back home for the holidays and spending time with Terry? Prohm's record of developing PG's at ISU should be a factor in any PG recruit's decision. The assist/turnover ratio of not only Monty, but also of Haliburton and Weiler-Babb cannot be written off as pure chance. Weiler-Babb's production as PG is particularly impressive considering he had never played the position in college before last year.

Yet another example of Prohm's and staff's coaching abilities.

Bocy

Nov 27, 2016
Central IA
Yes, yes. I'm greedy, and a dreamer, but I'd like to see: Dante, Foster, Blackwell, and Terry as Iowa State's own iteration of the Fab 5 (minus 1). The Fab 4 still has a nice ring to it.

Imagine the possibilities! To have an almost Duke-esque recruiting class for once...

• Useful
Reactions: larry

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
Yes, yes. I'm greedy, and a dreamer, but I'd like to see: Dante, Foster, Blackwell, and Terry as Iowa State's own iteration of the Fab 5 (minus 1). The Fab 4 still has a nice ring to it.

Well, maybe 3 because I am 99.9% sure Dante won't be a Cyclone. I know his guardian and he told me Iowa State has no chance.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Im at 100 percent. Dante will not be a Cyclone. Also wish Prohm and his staff would get down to Sunrise academy and get in with the coaches so we could get some of these kids down there

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not that worried about PG. Haliburton seems like a four year guy the will be our pass first distributor. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome the comit. CGs like Jackson will serve us well for the few available minutes behind TH. Again that's not to say Terry wouldn't share the floor much like Wiggy.

2020 we obviously need a couple bigs. Lard can be a special player but almost everyone agrees.
Really wouldn't want to bet a season on him.

Wing spot is interesting. THT if we get two years I'd consider us lucky. Wiggy showed us first game back he's likely ready for the next level. I seen Griffin compared to ME but I think he may be closer to Grayer ofcourse not at that level. Lewis could be a solid starter but for a great team he's the shooter off the bench. Real question is Leech, fully recovered he's a primary scorer. Question is will Blackwell wait for spring to see where Leech is at?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Not that worried about PG Haliburton seems like a four year guy the will be our pass first distributor. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome the comit. CG like Jack were serve us well for the few available minutes behind TH. Again that's not to say Terry wouldn't share the floor much like Wiggy.

2020 we obviously need a couple bigs. Lard can be a special player but almost everyone agrees
Really want to bet a season on him.

Wing spot is interesting. THT if we get two years I'd consider us lucky. Wiggy showed us first game level he's likely ready for the next level. I seen Griffin compared to ME but I think he may be closer the Grayer ofcourse not at that level

Umm - Can I get a translator please?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Dandy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not that worried about PG. Haliburton seems like a four year guy the will be our pass first distributor. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome the comit. CGs like Jackson will serve us well for the few available minutes behind TH. Again that's not to say Terry wouldn't share the floor much like Wiggy.

2020 we obviously need a couple bigs. Lard can be a special player but almost everyone agrees.
Really wouldn't want to bet a season on him.

Wing spot is interesting. THT if we get two years I'd consider us lucky. Wiggy showed us first game back he's likely ready for the next level. I seen Griffin compared to ME but I think he may be closer to Grayer ofcourse not at that level. Lewis could be a solid starter but for a great team he's the shooter off the bench. Real question is Leech, fully recovered he's a primary scorer. Question is will Blackwell wait for spring to see where Leech is at?

You are talking two years out -- so much will change.

Looking at the scholarship chart as of now, we know we will lose Weiler-Babb, Shayok, Talley, Nixon, Jacobson, and Young before then, we are pretty sure we lose Wigginton and Horton-Tucker to the NBA early, and Cameron Lard is a mystery right now.

We are bringing in Jackson, Leech (who is himself a question mark, though looking good right now) and Anderson -- which leaves us with nine out* and three in.

*Assuming the worst with Lard -- not predicting nor hoping he is gone. If anything, I would LOVE it if Lard was wrecking fools as a senior and team captain. :)

We "know" we are going to have Lewis, Haliburton, Griffin, Conditt, Jackson, Leech, and Anderson. Those men number seven, so we have... well... six spots to go. This is assuming none of them leave the program. I hope none of them do, but we all know it happens.

PGs: Haliburton, Jackson
Guards/Wings: Lewis, Griffin, Leech
Big Men: Lard (???), Conditt, Anderson

Short version of your (and my) post --

We are so far out that everything is going to change. We have no idea if we are going to have any particularized needs. We are probably just going to need to as much talent as we can find from any of the available sources across all positions on the roster.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You are talking two years out -- so much will change.

Looking at the scholarship chart as of now, we know we will lose Weiler-Babb, Shayok, Talley, Nixon, Jacobson, and Young before then, we are pretty sure we lose Wigginton and Horton-Tucker to the NBA early, and Cameron Lard is a mystery right now.

We are bringing in Jackson, Leech (who is himself a question mark, though looking good right now) and Anderson -- which leaves us with nine out* and three in.

*Assuming the worst with Lard -- not predicting nor hoping he is gone. If anything, I would LOVE it if Lard was wrecking fools as a senior and team captain. :)

We "know" we are going to have Lewis, Haliburton, Griffin, Conditt, Jackson, Leech, and Anderson. Those men number seven, so we have... well... six spots to go. This is assuming none of them leave the program. I hope none of them do, but we all know it happens.

PGs: Haliburton, Jackson
Guards/Wings: Lewis, Griffin, Leech
Big Men: Lard (???), Conditt, Anderson

Short version of your (and my) post --

We are so far out that everything is going to change. We have no idea if we are going to have any particularized needs. We are probably just going to need to as much talent as we can find from any of the available sources across all positions on the roster.

It was just an overview stating PG should be covered the next three years therefore another true PG is the lowest priority. Guards that can shoot are always a priority though.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It was just an overview stating PG should be covered the next three years therefore another true PG is the lowest priority. Guards that can shoot are always a priority though.

I agree that Haliburton looks like an eminently workable successor to Nick as the pass-first point guard to entrust the ball and orchestrate the offense.

I think you always need two PGs, though.

If Jackson is more of a (1.) shooter or combo guard, like his Donovan-type namesake, and (2.) might need some time to develop, like a Naz Mitrou-Long, then once Nixon graduates the year after next, we are still going to need to give Tyrese a sidekick.

Even if the kid is a machine and plays 35 minutes per night at high efficiency.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree that Haliburton looks like an eminently workable successor to Nick as the pass-first point guard to entrust the ball and orchestrate the offense.

I think you always need two PGs, though.

If Jackson is more of a (1.) shooter or combo guard, like his Donovan-type namesake, and (2.) might need some time to develop, like a Naz Mitrou-Long, then once Nixon graduates the year after next, we are still going to need to give Tyrese a sidekick.

Even if the kid is a machine and plays 35 minutes per night at high efficiency.

Absolutely agree, I think Prohm has the program to a place he can recruit elite PGs when minutes we need to replace are available. Anytime we can add that type of player we should and Terry is. I just think PG is a position we should not worry about having a true backup.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Absolutely agree, I think Prohm has the program to a place he can recruit elite PGs when minutes we need to replace our current are available. Anytime we can add that type of player we should and Terry is. I just think PG is a position we should not worry about having a true backup.

I am pretty confident that Prohm will try to bring in a PG in every class. His track record and ability to get guards to the league is known and attractive to the top end talent at that position. I would be ecstatic if ISU could become a PGU under Prohm's guidance.
Haliburton can play 1-3 once he adds a bit of strength, so taking a guy like Terry or other highly rated PG doesn't necessarily cut his minutes. We shouldn't just assume Tyrese is just the starter at PG the next 3 years either, Injuries, pro aspirations or just general life events happen. Get the best talent and don't be concerned about positions, needs can change fast.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am pretty confident that Prohm will try to bring in a PG in every class. His track record and ability to get guards to the league is known and attractive to the top end talent at that position. I would be ecstatic if ISU could become a PGU under Prohm's guidance.
Haliburton can play 1-3 once he adds a bit of strength, so taking a guy like Terry or other highly rated PG doesn't necessarily cut his minutes. We shouldn't just assume Tyrese is just the starter at PG the next 3 years either, Injuries, pro aspirations or just general life events happen. Get the best talent and don't be concerned about positions, needs can change fast.

I think Tyrese loses his starting spot once Wigginton is 100% this season. One could make a case that one of Shayok, Horton-Tucker, and Wigginton makes sense as a bench gunner and having all three of them out there might be too many chefs and not enough cooks for the offense, but I think seniority and the egos involved will kind of make it happen that way.

And that is okay -- I think Tyrese has the mentality to handle a sixth man role splendidly.

Horton-Tucker against tired starters and/or over-matched bench guys would be hilarious, but given the stars with his and Lindell's names, I think they have to start.

Haliburton is beyond obvious to pencil in as a starter for next season, though. Assuming he stays healthy, in Ames, and focused on basketball, I do not see a way that he does not start the remaining three years of his career as a Cyclone after that.

If he is surpassed by the other guards on the roster to where here is not one of the best three or so options in those three years, "PG" or not, well...

...then...

...we must be really good.

• Agree
Reactions: brycy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron