Bowl game travel with the Athletic dept.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Has anyone here traveled to any of the bowl games with the Cyclone club before ? We finally started donating this year and I got a email about the bowl tickets and a sign up for information on the charter. What’s the cost compared to doing your own thing? And is it pretty much go down for the bowl game and back the next day? I’m trying to decide how we should be booking things this year. I tried a Travel agent but that was worthless.....

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If you want to go for a longer time, piecing together the trip has always worked well for me. Cheaper and I control arrival/departure date/time.

P.S. Even an old dinosaur like me has figured out how to use uber. We never rent cars anymore, To easy, no stress, and so far has been equal in cost or we have saved money. Just a thought.

Is uber in Iowa?:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and Messi

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I prefer to go on my own (with my family) that way we can do our own thing on our schedule and we can do it for a lot less too.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Yeah I think the Cyclone club, Alumni Association, Gridiron club, and CF all will have their own charters. We’ve just done our own thing up to this point ....

• Informative
Reactions: Scott34

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Has anyone also every used the Alumni Association to book hotels ? I was looking at that last night and they have some very cheap deals on there.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This year Athletics is partnering with the Alumni Association and Grid Iron Club on travel arrangements.
We've gone to two bowl games - one through the Alumni Association and one where we just bought the tickets through ISU and did our own travel.

Really depends on what you want to do and how long a trip you want to take. Oh, and how much you want to spend on tickets, getting there, staying and getting back.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
This year Athletics is partnering with the Alumni Association and Grid Iron Club on travel arrangements.
We've gone to two bowl games - one through the Alumni Association and one where we just bought the tickets through ISU and did our own travel.

Really depends on what you want to do and how long a trip you want to take. Oh, and how much you want to spend on tickets, getting there, staying and getting back.

So was it a lot more expensive to go with the charter ? And how was your experience with it ?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Yeah I think the Cyclone club, Alumni Association, Gridiron club, and CF all will have their own charters. We’ve just done our own thing up to this point ....

This year the athletics dept, cyclone club and gridiron are all using the same charter.

Also from my experience you can save a lot by going on your own.

washington

Sep 1, 2006
Flew on our own and then stayed with the Alumni Association land only package. Was more expensive, but didn't have to worry about getting and returning to the game, hotel was within walking distance of many sites, and included two get togethers

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My Dad did the Alumni trip with for the Insight Bowl in 2009. It was expensive but I think it was worth it. For the Pinstripe, we did the land only package with the Grid Iron Club. It guaranteed us a good hotel and we had transportation to the game. For both Liberty Bowls, we traveled on our own, but stayed in the team hotel both times.

That's my main takeaway, staying in the team hotel is a lot of fun. There's a lot of action and it is fun.

• Agree
Reactions: tolfbfan

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Will be interesting to see the lengths of trips offered. I would prefer one that go down the day before go to game the next day and then day after the game fly home. Don't have vacation pay at my job so I need a package that allows me to take as little time off.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Will be interesting to see the lengths of trips offered. I would prefer one that go down the day before go to game the next day and then day after the game fly home. Don't have vacation pay at my job so I need a package that allows me to take as little time off.

Find 3 buddies, relatives, homeless people with enough money and a sense of adventure, or whomever and rent a car, drive down, tailgate and drive back.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

Sounds like you need a new job.

But really, just drive there yourself. You can find a hotel for a couple nights pretty cheap. Gas will be a couple hundred.

Even if we end up in Orlando, I'm just driving down by myself and meeting some friends there to split the hotel (already booked). It'll be a lot cheaper than using one of the charter services.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
My Dad did the Alumni trip with for the Insight Bowl in 2009. It was expensive but I think it was worth it. For the Pinstripe, we did the land only package with the Grid Iron Club. It guaranteed us a good hotel and we had transportation to the game. For both Liberty Bowls, we traveled on our own, but stayed in the team hotel both times.

That's my main takeaway, staying in the team hotel is a lot of fun. There's a lot of action and it is fun.

For sure stay at team hotel if possible. It is great to talk to team members and coaches.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many tickets you can buy? We have 4 donor level season tickets and was wondering if they limit you to that amount for the bowl game.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
On a related note, what's the best way to get tickets? We do not have season tickets and only donate a small amount. Can we even get them through ISU, or do they usually sell out of their allotment?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron