Why is Kinnick Stadium considered historic?

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
So you are against waving at the kids? Despicable if true.

Actually just the opposite. Something like this typically morphs into being all about the U of Iowa. Iowa media, and Iowa fans (insecure attention-seekers)

History lesson?

Farm crisis 1980's? Hayden uses the ANF decal to promote his team (and save ZERO farmers)

* Parkersburg tornado 2007?
~ A few Iowa players arrive TWO WEEKS afterward. picking up sticks and twigs....oh--they bring their own film crew and the media is in tow
~ The Hawk heroes end up on ESPN and the BTN during fb games during 2007 season--national exposure for doing nothing (Chizik took players up 2 DAYS afters with zero fanfare)

Children's Hospital wave? Great for the kids. U of Iowa promotes it to the hilt.....as the ultimate sacrifice by Iowa fans turning 20 degrees and waving....and claiming moral superiority over the universe

bottom line........ it's always about Iowa fans and their school. Despicable really.. keep patting yourselves on your backs for being amazing

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Actually just the opposite. Something like this typically morphs into being all about the U of Iowa. Iowa media, and Iowa fans (insecure attention-seekers)

History lesson?

Farm crisis 1980's? Hayden uses the ANF decal to promote his team (and save ZERO farmers)

* Parkersburg tornado 2007?
~ A few Iowa players arrive TWO WEEKS afterward. picking up sticks and twigs....oh--they bring their own film crew and the media is in tow
~ The Hawk heroes end up on ESPN and the BTN during fb games during 2007 season--national exposure for doing nothing (Chizik took players up 2 DAYS afters with zero fanfare)

Children's Hospital wave? Great for the kids. U of Iowa promotes it to the hilt.....as the ultimate sacrifice by Iowa fans turning 20 degrees and waving....and claiming moral superiority over the universe

bottom line........ it's always about Iowa fans and their school. Despicable really.. keep patting yourselves on your backs for being amazing

Dude, I'm really worried for you. How anyone could be up in arms about these feel good stories is beyond me.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Dude, I'm really worried for you. How anyone could be up in arms about these feel good stories is beyond me.

He wasn't ripping on the "feel good story" he was ripping on the fact that Iowa fans have run it into the ground and use the wave for other motives... I think the wave is awesome but don't stray away from why it's special.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Not to mention a tornado siren blaring during a football game and the always lame "thats another Cyclone....FIRST DOWN!"

And "Sweet Caroline".

I agree with the lame "Cyclone... FIRST DOWN!" thing - but respectfully disagree about the sirens. I think people really enjoy that along with the weather service emergency sounder during the intro video. When that randomly goes off before kick, the crowd loves it. Having the sirens after a Cyclone touchdown or takeaway from another team works. Those are pretty cool and tie in with the school mascot.

What was awful was the old siren that sounded like a submarine. Anyone remember that from around Chizik time? aooooga aooooga is what it sounded like haha.

Sweet Caroline is a fun post-game victory song, just like other schools have. Agree it shouldn't be played until the game is over and Iowa State wins though.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and CyGuy5

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I would agree that Kinnick is "historic". Not many stadiums have been the site of 20 consecutive losing seasons.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Aside from that point, the argument that Kinnick Stadium isn't historic is a ludicrous one. It's named after a Heisman winner. It was built 89 years ago. I think some of the initial points made in this thread were that if it's not at least a 75 year old stadium, it's not historic. Why not?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Historic? Isnt it obvious? Because Craig T Nelson coached there in the 90's sitcom Coach.

Yes, I know he coached for Minnesota State, but they showed Kinnick and pumped in fake crowd noise during "Coach" game days.............which makes the Historic part even more questionable.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
I suppose this factors into what makes Kinnick so historic...opposing players routinely consider it the toughest place to play.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins