MLB: ***Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
God Darvish sucks. Just like last game he gets through 4 innings just fine and then completely implodes in the 5th. He even had 2 outs and no runs had scored. WTF??

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Joe really Maddoned the **** out of this game. I just don’t understand how he doesn’t march out the same lineup 3 days in a row. I get that a lefty was on the mound, but you took the 2 left handed batters out of the lineup who actually were hitting, Schwarber and Heyward, but left Rizzo in, who is a giant hole right now.

Not to mention the 5th inning disaster, which isn’t all on Joe, but obviously Darvish had lost it and was in real trouble.

For being the “smartest” manager in baseball, he sure is a ******* idiot sometimes.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
Joe really Maddoned the **** out of this game. I just don’t understand how he doesn’t march out the same lineup 3 days in a row. I get that a lefty was on the mound, but you took the 2 left handed batters out of the lineup who actually were hitting, Schwarber and Heyward, but left Rizzo in, who is a giant hole right now.

Not to mention the 5th inning disaster, which isn’t all on Joe, but obviously Darvish had lost it and was in real trouble.

For being the “smartest” manager in baseball, he sure is a ******* idiot sometimes.
Maddon better kiss Theos feet. Maddon is lucky he has had the talent. I don't think he's that great.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Wade Davis shuts the door on his former mates. 16 last night, 2 tonight. If you have to lose to Chicago make sure you do in blow out fashion.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Darvish struggles worries me. If the Cubs are going to pay that kind of money to a pitcher that has problems getting past the 5th inning they may as well just signed Arrietta. Jake has looked much sharper and gone deeper than Darvish has so far. Darvish looked really sharp until that 5th inning but just fell apart once he walked the pitcher and gave up those runs with 2 outs. We saw him struggle in the World Series too, just hope he gets it figured out and is not another contract the Cubs will regret like they will with Heyward

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wade Davis shuts the door on his former mates. 16 last night, 2 tonight. If you have to lose to Chicago make sure you do in blow out fashion.

Davis is a great closer but I think that Theo and Jed have the right mentality that you can't commit long term dollars to closers because history has proven that the backend of those contracts will kill you. The way this Cubs team is built right now they either are going to blow you out with a big inning or struggle to score runs so the closer doesn't get as much work as he would on most teams.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Davis is a great closer but I think that Theo and Jed have the right mentality that you can't commit long term dollars to closers because history has proven that the backend of those contracts will kill you. The way this Cubs team is built right now they either are going to blow you out with a big inning or struggle to score runs so the closer doesn't get as much work as he would on most teams.

Rockies while having great hitters struggle to put huge numbers of runs hence most of our wins are save type situations as evidenced by Davis having 9 saves already. Also I think Rockies management knows that competitive teams are hard to come by so they are feeling some pressure to capitalize on talent we have right now, and our bullpen quite frankly blew chunks last year.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Rockies while having great hitters struggle to put huge numbers of runs hence most of our wins are save type situations as evidenced by Davis having 9 saves already. Also I think Rockies management knows that competitive teams are hard to come by so they are feeling some pressure to capitalize on talent we have right now, and our bullpen quite frankly blew chunks last year.

But you'll probably hate Davis come year three. Given both options, I would take the deal we got with Morrow 10/10.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Now we are benching Rizzo against lefties? Lol!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Now we are benching Rizzo against lefties? Lol!
I didn’t say that. Just pointed out that Joe benched Schwarber and Heyward last night, but not Rizzo, for whom I can count the hits he has had in the last 2 weeks on 1 hand.

I was mostly just shocked that Joe couldn’t run out the same lineup that had scored the last 2 games. He had to tweak it. It’s almost like this years team has too much versatility for him. I wish he would settle in with a consistent lineup.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I didn’t say that. Just pointed out that Joe benched Schwarber and Heyward last night, but not Rizzo, for whom I can count the hits he has had in the last 2 weeks on 1 hand.

I was mostly just shocked that Joe couldn’t run it the same lineup that had scored the last 2 games. He had to tweak it. It’s almost like this years team has too much versatility for him. I wish he would settle in to a not consistent lineup.

But we've seen what Rizzo will do for years. It's just a matter of giving him the time to get there.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I was mostly just shocked that Joe couldn’t run out the same lineup that had scored the last 2 games. He had to tweak it. It’s almost like this years team has too much versatility for him. I wish he would settle in with a consistent lineup.
Well he was on the DL for one of those two weeks. Still, he's not going to get out of this slump on the bench.