Purchasing an Engagement Ring

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Go to a local jewler...Platinum/Gold whatever is priced on current market value...but local owner will take care of u if there is every a problem..They will also give u fair market value if u need to sell it back.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I had a good experience with Iowa Diamond in WDM.
We shopped at the other chain places but found what we liked at Iowa Diamond.

We didn't go crazy on price, but I did finance through Iowa Diamond (Wells Fargo). I think I got something like a year, no interest. Could have paid for it but took advantage of that offer.

As others have said, set a budget and stick with that. Every place will have that one little upgrade that turns into 10 different things and another $500+.

I don't remember getting a warranty, other than whatever came with the ring.
I did get it added to my renter's insurance, through a rider, and now on my homeowner's. Definitely call your insurance guy and get that added ASAP.
My rider covers theft but also if we just lose it.

One last thing on the insurance - Make sure your policy states they will replace at an "agreed value". Some insurance policies will replace the ring with something they find that's comparable, not the exact same ring.
I made them add this language so that I get a check for the appraised value.

I like Iowa Diamond for the sheer volume of choices available, but I didn't really dig their prices when I went there.

I had a friend recommend a jeweler at Josephs, I met him and he helped me find something that worked for me rather than what was the highest price. He even searched through a few locations for the right diamond for me.

Unfortunately he retired, but fortunately I don't think I'll be getting married again. This one's a keeper (ring and wife).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Costco! Seriously. I bought my wife a ring there, other jewlers cannot believe the quality for the price.

If it's a good ring, it's a good ring. No matter where it comes from.

I didn't explore online at all for rings due to the lack of ability to see it first, but if you find something you like there, it might not be a bad idea either.

Reactions: Macloney

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
BTW, if she "Calls Off" the engagement and never walks down the isle, she should return the ring - correct ??

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I like Iowa Diamond for the sheer volume of choices available, but I didn't really dig their prices when I went there.

They do have a lot of expensive stuff.

I should have included this but my post was getting to TL;DR status.
We (the wife) found a ring she really liked. It was from some famous designer and had won some big award. Way out of the price range.

IA Diamond had some guy that could make custom rings. This guy made an almost exact replica for a fraction of the cost, that was within our budget.

Don't know if we just got lucky there but that worked well for us.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
They do have a lot of expensive stuff.

I should have included this but my post was getting to TL;DR status.
We (the wife) found a ring she really liked. It was from some famous designer and had won some big award. Way out of the price range.

IA Diamond had some guy that could make custom rings. This guy made an almost exact replica for a fraction of the cost, that was within our budget.

Don't know if we just got lucky there but that worked well for us.

That probably was lucky that the custom was so good.

I went to Iowa Diamond for my first engagement ring, and I really liked it, but the marriage didn't last so that didn't help.

I went back for the second ring for my new wife and I just wasn't feeling the quality for the price range at the time. I could have probably dug deeper but I decided to look elsewhere.

I ended up with exactly what I wanted.

Side note: I had the opportunity to take the first wedding ring back from the ex-wife. She probably wouldn't have noticed until much later and may or may not have figured out it was me. I didn't though. Wouldn't have been worth that much resold anyways. Diamonds are only REALLY worth something when you first buy them.

• Informative
Reactions: DSMCy

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That just means the diamonds are vastly over-priced. The value is not there.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I had a friend recommend a jeweler at Josephs, I met him and he helped me find something that worked for me rather than what was the highest price. He even searched through a few locations for the right diamond for me.

I had a good experience at Joseph's too. I believe their policy is that you can trade in the diamond for the paid amount if you're looking up upgrade down the road. I asked if there were some discounts available, named my employer and got 25% off the diamond. Also offered no interest payment plan, so I took advantage of that. Insured the ring through Jeweler's Mutual, and their premium was something simple like 1/100 of the value.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyhiphopp

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
https://www.mjewelry.com/

This is where I bought mine. You can pick a diamond (size/cut/clarity) of you choice and then they will create everything the way you want them. By far the cheapest and best option I found in this area.

Buy what you can afford. Don't finance insanity amount. It's going to be her debt once you two are married. I am sure she doesn't want insanity ring debt.

• Useful
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I had a girl at work tell me that some people will propose using a fake ring, and then go together to buy an engagement ring. That way she can buy something that she would like.

I told this to my girlfriends best friend and she said it was a really good idea and she liked it. I may go that route.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I think clarity/cut is the biggest difference. Friend of mine just bought one and it beams in any amount of light. If you compromise rock size for clarity a thin band can make it look way bigger, especially if she has small hands.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you notice her hiding her text messages, start keeping track of where it is. Just some advice a friend gave me.....

Reactions: bos

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This isn't the helpful advice you want to hear, and maybe you've probably thought about this already. But if you haven't, at least consider not buying one at all. Or buying something very modest.

I'm definitely not telling you how you should live your life, but plenty of research has shown that people are happier with experiences than things. So why not use that money on a great wedding, or honeymoon, or some other major obligation?

Full disclosure: I bought the standard ring years ago. I don't know that I'd do it again. And while I haven't discussed that hypothetical with my wife, I'm guessing she'd be okay with that. To this day it's the only major piece of jewelry I've bought for her, and we mostly roll our eyes at jewelry commercials. But that's not everyone, obviously.

Homeowners or renters insurance should be able to add a rider to cover the ring for ~$50/year. Give Costco a look. I didn't buy there myself but I've heard decent things.

(Funny story: I took a buddy's noticeably-pregnant sister along when I went ring shopping for help from the lady's perspective. I got lots of hilarious looks from the ring salesman.)

• Funny
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
I had some ideas of what my girlfriend (now wife) liked, and I found a really unique designer ring that I knew was just her style. When I found out it cost about 2.5 times what I wanted to spend, I went to a local jeweler to create a custom ring.

The ring I designed was inspired by the designer ring, but I incorporated my own ideas into it, based upon what I knew her tastes were. In the end, she got a ring that was designed by me, that NOBODY else would ever have. She loved the effort it took me to come up with it and truly loves how unique and beautiful it is.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Go with your gut. You can spend what you feel comfortable and put some thought into it you'll be fine. If she's truly the one she won't be a gold digger, she'll appreciate the ring. Just put some effort into the proposal.

I had a pretty good experience with mine. I went to Gilger in Ames after gathering info online. Spotted 1 of his designs and I think I went with a diamond between a .8 - .9 carat. Placed a couple of each of her birth stones on the insets. Paid for about half with cash and "financed" with him. He didn't charge me any interest and I had it paid off in 5 months.

Surprised my then gf with the proposal on a mountain top and she loved the ring, was very caught off guard. All her friends predicted a proposal on the trip, but she didn't believe them.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with. You can always upgrade it in the future. Do NOT buy into this whole you have to spend "X" on a wedding ring, its BS. If you're getting married, you both should be similar with each-others finances already.

Go to a place that stays WITHIN your budget. A lot of places will try to push you to a higher priced ring, give you some discount, throw a bunch of numbers at you and try to sell you something outside of your budget. If they won't offer you rings in your budget, that's a sign to walk.

I went to a few places, ended up at Iowa Diamond, was seriously the only place that was willing to stay within my budget and provided options. It was cool that I got to pick out the diamond.

As others mentioned, go for for quality and clarity, not size. (Unless you need to buy the biggest you can to make up for.....)

For insurance, yes get the insurance as you never know how she might lose it. I added on a personal article policy when I was at State Farm. Cost like $30/year. I did not add it to the homeowners insuance because I did not want to have to pay the deductible or make a homeowners claim. There are places you and buy standalone ring insurance. Jewelers Mutual is a Geico company that sells policies online.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY