Report: 30+ teams could be punished for recruiting violations

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
ESPN's Seth Greenberg, who I like as an analyst, is now poopooing the whole matter. The network is down to using false equivalency arguments that the FBI has better things to do, thus MBB cheating is okay evidently. Greenberg said yesterday, "Hey, it's business." (Tells me he cheated at V'Tech.) There's obviously no moral grounding at the network other than that rationalized by their balance sheet. They are so complicit in all this.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The media ignores issues at the big schools?!? What channel have you been watching? Good grief, the media covers every stinky bowel movement they find out about at the big name schools.

ESPN is all Trae Young all day. It's all Roy Williams and Coach K all the time. It's KU 13 year winning streak. The only bone they throw the little guys is hoping for a Cinderella come tourney time.

When UNC got off scot-free ESPN did not pushing of the NCAA. They didn't make a peep because they didn't want to upset the boss and risk losing future broadcast contracts.

If a school making up fake degrees is not within the perview of the NCAA what is? Why not just not require kids to go to school? Why continue the charade? ESPN didn't do any proding.

Reactions: isutrevman

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
**** ESPN, **** these analysts they are part of the huge problem. If nothing happens to these ********, especially UNC for fake ******* classes then it’s all ********. If everyone doesn’t have to follow the same rules then cheat your ass off like them and lawyer up it’s the only way to make it fair. I hate the NCAA most corrupt organization and I hope like hell the FBI pounds their holy living asses.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
ESPN's Seth Greenberg, who I like as an analyst, is now poopooing the whole matter. The network is down to using false equivalency arguments that the FBI has better things to do, thus MBB cheating is okay evidently. Greenberg said yesterday, "Hey, it's business." (Tells me he cheated at V'Tech.) There's obviously no moral grounding at the network other than that rationalized by their balance sheet. They are so complicit in all this.

Greenberg was all over this last September when it was a big deal, so this tells me that his coaching buddies likely have been found out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
2 guys from Kansas arguing on an IOWA State message board? Seem weird to anyone else?

Also, I'm not getting my hopes up about the blue bloods dying a slow death over this.

We just have a really awesome forum like that.

I actually welcome opposing fans who make good faith and reasonable contributions.

The more perspective and insight, the merrier, to me.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
ESPN is all Trae Young all day. It's all Roy Williams and Coach K all the time. It's KU 13 year winning streak. The only bone they throw the little guys is hoping for a Cinderella come tourney time.

When UNC got off scot-free ESPN did not pushing of the NCAA. They didn't make a peep because they didn't want to upset the boss and risk losing future broadcast contracts.

If a school making up fake degrees is not within the perview of the NCAA what is? Why not just not require kids to go to school? Why continue the charade? ESPN didn't do any proding.
Gee, you mean they talk about a person doing things that no one has ever done before in the sport (lead the nation in both points and assists)? That's CRAZY! It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

"All they cover is the big guys" is the whine of every fan base who isn't a big guy. Next you'll complain that all Fox News covers is Republican stuff and all CNN covers is Democrats stuff. It's called targeting the largest portion of your audience.

Looking back through the threads started in the Big 12 section about in-progress games:

KU vs. Baylor
KU vs. TCU
WVU @OU
Baylor vs. OU

When people aren't watching their own team, they are watching to cheer against the big guys (KU and Trae Young). Of the 4 non-ISU games this weekend, which ones will get the most attention? West Virginia at Kansas and Texas at Oklahoma. No one gives a crap about OSU at TCU so why should ESPN spend any time talking about it. Texas Tech at Baylor updates will be given primarily to let KU fans and those cheering for someone to finish ahead of KU know what's going on.

Who should be getting more coverage in the sport in this part of the country that isn't getting it right now?

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
No big name teams will face any punishment from NCAA. Roy W has already said UNC is not part of it and since they skated before he will get away once again! It is ludicrous to believe Mark Emmert and his cronies will kill the cash cow of the tourney and his fave blue bloods.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

That might be more for the Feds if any federal money was used for those fraudulent degrees.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That might be more for the Feds if any federal money was used for those fraudulent degrees.

I would be super pissed if I were a UNC student, particularly a minority or an athlete or even better, a minority athlete. Anything that damages the academic prestige of the school or marks you out from employers as having a "fake degree" hurts you. If this scandal puts it in the head of people that athletes coming out of that school or that major basically learned how to color, when I am sure most of them worked hard and earned their sheepskin, well, there are potential damages there. And this might be more the lawsuit pissed than the over a beer pissed.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
ESPN was certainly all-in on Ku promotions today. What a celebration of one of their prime assets, "the road passing through Lawrence." o_O
Eh, wasn't ESPN Game Day in Lawrence today? Isn't it standard to promote your prime time basketball game on your main channel? WTF were the supposed to do? Good grief.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I would be super pissed if I were a UNC student, particularly a minority or an athlete or even better, a minority athlete. Anything that damages the academic prestige of the school or marks you out from employers as having a "fake degree" hurts you. If this scandal puts it in the head of people that athletes coming out of that school or that major basically learned how to color, when I am sure most of them worked hard and earned their sheepskin, well, there are potential damages there. And this might be more the lawsuit pissed than the over a beer pissed.
I doubt many UNC grads are using their African American Studies degree to get them a job.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

UNC was put on probation by its accrediting agency a few years ago, "satisfied" the agency, and is now off probation. According to the article below, nothing further is going to be done to UNC on the accrediting side...perhaps they may take another look if something blockbuster comes out of this latest scandal. As long as UNC (or any school for that matter) remains accredited, I doubt that employers are going to shun their graduates.

http://www.wral.com/accrediting-agency-won-t-reopen-investigation-into-unc-paper-classes-/17021239/

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
ESPN was certainly all-in on Ku promotions today. What a celebration of one of their prime assets, "the road passing through Lawrence." o_O
Actually, I thought it was funny that didn't Gameday, there were more commercials for OU/KU Big Monday than there was for the WVU/KU game.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The most heavily anticipated news drop in sports on CF....since Kyle Kempt's petition for a 6th year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
UNC was put on probation by its accrediting agency a few years ago, "satisfied" the agency, and is now off probation. According to the article below, nothing further is going to be done to UNC on the accrediting side...perhaps they may take another look if something blockbuster comes out of this latest scandal. As long as UNC (or any school for that matter) remains accredited, I doubt that employers are going to shun their graduates.

http://www.wral.com/accrediting-agency-won-t-reopen-investigation-into-unc-paper-classes-/17021239/

Employers based what they do off reputation and what they hear on the news, subjectively, not based on any formal rulings from accreditation agencies.

Academic prestige is cultural, not scientific.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Employers based what they do off reputation and what they hear on the news, subjectively, not based on any formal rulings from accreditation agencies.

Academic prestige is cultural, not scientific.
Again, I doubt many people are relying on their African American Studies degree from the University of North Carolina to get them a job. Everyone who reads a tiny bit of news knows that this was the degree program involved in all of the issues at Carolina. Employers don't magically lose their minds and apply that line of thinking to ANY degree from Carolina.