Trae Young

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
He's so butthurt he didn't choose Kansas
We seem to be doing just fine without him. But you sure do enjoy using the phrase "butthurt"; there has to be some awkward psychological root to that I'm not willing to dig into.

10+ five star recruits a year choose some other school over Kansas. When you go after all of the best players, you hear "NO" far more than "YES". Maybe ISU fans gets far more emotionally invested in the possibility of landing an elite recruit because it happens less frequently but it doesn't bother me at all that Young went to OU. With the returning players KU likely had at guard and the lack of returning players OU had at guard plus the fact he is from NORMAN, OK it would have been dumb to think he'd really pick KU.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We seem to be doing just fine without him. But you sure do enjoy using the phrase "butthurt"; there has to be some awkward psychological root to that I'm not willing to dig into.

10+ five star recruits a year choose some other school over Kansas. When you go after all of the best players, you hear "NO" far more than "YES". Maybe ISU fans gets far more emotionally invested in the possibility of landing an elite recruit because it happens less frequently but it doesn't bother me at all that Young went to OU. With the returning players KU likely had at guard and the lack of returning players OU had at guard plus the fact he is from NORMAN, OK it would have been dumb to think he'd really pick KU.

You seem to really have something against the kid because he's by far the best player in the conference and he's not from Kansas

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You seem to really have something against the kid because he's by far the best player in the conference and he's not from Kansas
Eh, OK. Or I just see a kid who is trying to do too much and it seems to be causing his team to have a harder time winning than they should with such a great PG on their team. Hey, I hope he takes 39 more shots against KU this Tuesday. We'll see how that works for him.

You can comment on a player's struggles and mistakes and not "have something against the kid".

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Eh, OK. Or I just see a kid who is trying to do too much and it seems to be causing his team to have a harder time winning than they should with such a great PG on their team. Hey, I hope he takes 39 more shots against KU this Tuesday. We'll see how that works for him.

You can comment on a player's struggles and mistakes and not "have something against the kid".

I don't even like defending him but I respect him because he's the best player in our conference and seems to be a good kid. He was never going to KU regardless who they had on their roster so the sooner you realize that the sooner you can just sit back and watch him play instead of being so critical of him. Just comes off as sour grapes

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yes he is. Perhaps someone should tell Lon that 5 against 1 usually doesn’t go so well. Watched the game...in OT, OU player wide open from the corner and ball hog chucks one up (and missed). Jacked up at least two 30–footers (way before the shot clock) that barely caught the rim.

He giveth and he taketh away. He is currently out of control and need to be reeled back in some. He sucked in OT and if I was a teammate I'd be pissed. Not sure what the hell his coach is thinking right now.

Up until the last few games watching him has been kind of a treat. He just needs to idle back some to where he was and let his teammates play some again.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
He giveth and he taketh away. He is currently out of control and need to be reeled back in some. He sucked in OT and if I was a teammate I'd be pissed. Not sure what the hell his coach is thinking right now.

Up until the last few games watching him has been kind of a treat. He just needs to idle back some to where he was and let his teammates play some again.
It would be interesting to see how different coachs would handle this situation. I am trying to wrap my mind around the difference between Mad Fran and CSP.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't even like defending him but I respect him because he's the best player in our conference and seems to be a good kid. He was never going to KU regardless who they had on their roster so the sooner you realize that the sooner you can just sit back and watch him play instead of being so critical of him. Just comes off as sour grapes
Gee, I see that you don't feel the need to chastise any other posters who complain about his high turnovers or low shooting percentage. Only the KU fan's complaints about an insane amount of turnovers are sour grapes. Only the KU fan's complaints about 39 shots in a game are sour grapes. OK.

Hey look, even Trae's father agrees with me. But maybe it's just sour grapes because he didn't go to his old man's alma mater at Texas Tech...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ot-the-on-court-help-for-even-his-worst-game/

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Gee, I see that you don't feel the need to chastise any other posters who complain about his high turnovers or low shooting percentage. Only the KU fan's complaints about an insane amount of turnovers are sour grapes. Only the KU fan's complaints about 39 shots in a game are sour grapes. OK.

Hey look, even Trae's father agrees with me. But maybe it's just sour grapes because he didn't go to his old man's alma mater at Texas Tech...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ot-the-on-court-help-for-even-his-worst-game/

Low shooting percentages?

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Low shooting percentages?
Yes, as in the high volume of shots he takes. He's a high volume, low percentage scorer who has shot better than 42% in just 1 Big 12 game so far.

Cupcake schedule is over now and Big 12 coaches are adjusting and OU has now lost 3 of their last 5. If he doesnt stop playing AAU style hoops in pursuit of the national lead in stat categories, his team will suffer the consequences.

As a KU fan, I hope he keeps stat seeking and losing for a few more weeks, then gets it figured out to hang a loss on West Virginia when they come to Norman.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yes, as in the high volume of shots he takes. He's a high volume, low percentage scorer who has shot better than 42% in just 1 Big 12 game so far.

Cupcake schedule is over now and Big 12 coaches are adjusting and OU has now lost 3 of their last 5. If he doesnt stop playing AAU style hoops in pursuit of the national lead in stat categories, his team will suffer the consequences.

As a KU fan, I hope he keeps stat seeking and losing for a few more weeks, then gets it figured out to hang a loss on West Virginia when they come to Norman.

He's shooting 38% from 3 in conference play and you say him shooting a 3 is like a turnover

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He's shooting 38% from 3 in conference play and you say him shooting a 3 is like a turnover

38% at the volume he is shooting is turning into a problem for OU and I'm not sure how that can even be argued. Young doesn't have a "great" supporting cast but at some point he needs to trust his teammates. Young hangs 48 and his team just lost! That is a big problem.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
38% at the volume he is shooting is turning into a problem for OU and I'm not sure how that can even be argued. Young doesn't have a "great" supporting cast but at some point he needs to trust his teammates. Young hangs 48 and his team just lost! That is a big problem.

We're shooting 36% as a team from 3...

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

Agreed. 38% is a decent average, but doesn't justify 13 attempts per game in conference play. He appears to be a good enough shooter that he should be around 45%+ if he'd improve the shot selection. It's a weird concept, but I've felt that a high assist player can actually be selfish or at least bad decision makers. Averaging 7.5 TO's in conference games is a killer. That said, it's a blast watching this kid.

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I could not even imagine trying to coach a player like that. When do you draw the line? He launched 'em from the center of the O on Saturday and you're just supposed to be like "okay nice try"?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I said several of his deep three point attemps should be considered turnovers. I guarantee he isnt shooting 38% from 30 feet. Keep trying, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron