Best All-Inclusive Resorts

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Couples Swept Away in Jamaica is my suggestion, but you want to go somewhere else. I would think another island would be nice. No way I would go to Mexico right now.

Why? I am having an awesome time in Mexico right now. Absolutely great.

At a small 18 room hotel on the beach. Service is great. Beer is cold. Bucket of 5 bottles for 150 pesos. Food is great and reasonable as well. Lots of shopping and tons of restaurants that are a block or two away.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Has anyone been to Barceló Maya Tropical? I am possibly going to book at that hotel this week and wondered if anyone knew about it. Looks great on the net

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
For the life of me I can't believe how people like DR, you leave the property and people are living in ditches. We stayed at Melia Caribe 4.4 stars out of 5. People working there acted like they hated their jobs (yes I tipped but it didn't seem to help), food was bad (tang for orange juice, pork chops that looked like a pigs ear) security guards on the beach with assault rifles. Seaweed on the beaches. Rooms had a 2 inch gap under the door which allowed small reptiles to come into your room. A/C that was on a motion detector from 8 am until 8 pm i.e. if you wanted to sleep in, the A/C would turn off at 8 am when you came back after a day at the beach the room was hot. Its a third world country with third world problems. Granted if you want to just get drunk and hang at the beach it's a relatively cheap option. You get what you pay for, I will not go back.

I think you just went to wrong resort. I saw nothing like that in the DR. Yes, people off the resort were poor in general but nobody I saw was “living in ditches”. After talking with some of the folks that worked at the resort, the jobs they had were some of the best the island has to offer.

One worker I talked to said he was able to get out of farming, go to college and said he loved his job. Tourism there helped him get out of poverty. His words, not mine.

• Agree
Reactions: cjs24

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We did Couples Negril (just up the road from Swept Away).....amazing. I'm so glad we did it looking back because now the idea of doing something like that with 3 kids is laughable and it'll be at least 10 years....sigh.

We did Swept Away last year and I want to go back this year. But of course, you leave the kids with the grandparents.

CycloneAS93

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 31, 2017
I went to Couples Tower Isle in Ocho Rios this past summer and it was incredible. It is the resort that has the nude island. We never took the boat to go to the island for that reason though lol. I want to go back to Jamaica but she wants something different.

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
I recommend Palace Resort. They have locations in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujers, Cabo, Cozumel, Jamacia. They are in you price range. Check them out and PM with more specic questions as I have been to 3 of the resorts on am going to a 4 different location here in a couple weeks. All of them are with your budget unless your trying to include flight in you budget.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
For those that have done this, is it worth it to go to one with a child, and is there one you'd recommend? I know several of them are geared for couples. I wasn't sure if you get your money's worth to go all-inclusive with a kid.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Ive been to Riu Montego Bay and Sun Palace Cancun, both were adult only and great experiences IMO.

Montego Bay was better if you want to leave the resort. Jamaicans were friendly and the jerk chicken is legit.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
For those that have done this, is it worth it to go to one with a child, and is there one you'd recommend? I know several of them are geared for couples. I wasn't sure if you get your money's worth to go all-inclusive with a kid.

Depends on how old. My brother went to one in Jamaica with their 3 year old that came with a complimentary nanny and childcare for when they wanted to do some things on their own. They were pretty satisfied with that.

Personally, I can’t see bringing a child until they are at least in middle school or high school where they’re a little more self sufficient. To me, point of a vaca is to able to relax and not worry about that stuff.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Go to TripAdvisor. Tons of great advice and photos from real travelers.

Sounds like you are looking for moderate upscale. Secrets, Couples are very good. Lots of great choices.

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
Check out "The Grand at Moon Palace Cancun" it has a water park with slides built into the resort's property, nanny service at night available, and above average suppervised childerns day rooms.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We did Swept Away last year and I want to go back this year. But of course, you leave the kids with the grandparents.

Father in law died unexpectedly last year.....my parents are unable due to working schedule and some health issues. Otherwise, yeah totally would.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
We did Hyatt ziva in cancun this year, service was amazing (as most all inclusives in Mexico will be). But the food was also really good! The best part was the beach though as it's the resort located on the tip of the peninsula so you have two beaches, the private one opposite of the main hotel zone side was great... Not as many people and very calm crystal clear water.
2ddf928a_z.jpg

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Didn't want to start a new thread since this one is here (and I apologize for somewhat hijacking this thread) BUT, what are some ideas on honeymoon locations/resorts? Getting married in early November. Not concerned about price right now (mostly because I'll do the research on the suggestions and weed them out by price myself).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Depends on how old. My brother went to one in Jamaica with their 3 year old that came with a complimentary nanny and childcare for when they wanted to do some things on their own. They were pretty satisfied with that.

Personally, I can’t see bringing a child until they are at least in middle school or high school where they’re a little more self sufficient. To me, point of a vaca is to able to relax and not worry about that stuff.

We don't really have anyone to watch our kid for a week and we're gonna take her on a vaca regardless. She is 10 and despite my best efforts, is pretty mature for her age. We're looking for places that have a good mix of relaxation and fun activities. We drink a little, but booze is pretty far down our list of priorities.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We don't really have anyone to watch our kid for a week and we're gonna take her on a vaca regardless. She is 10 and despite my best efforts, is pretty mature for her age. We're looking for places that have a good mix of relaxation and fun activities. We drink a little, but booze is pretty far down our list of priorities.

Now Larimar in Punta Cana seemed to have a ton of kids and plenty for them to do. It’s the family side of Secrets Royal Beach. I would recommend taking a look at it.

DR is a little different in that you’re pretty confined to the resort because it’s not terribly safe to wander off at night. They do have excursions with tour guides available. The resort had everything needed though.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Help Support Us

Become a patron